What the heck is Blue Tack?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mnavarre
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mnavarre »

I've seen it refered to in many posts on this board, but what the heck is it? Are we talking about the 3M poster hanging stuff? or is it something else? I've got a feeling I may have missed something, but "The Blue Tack Tweak" kindof seems like assumed knowledge.

So what the heck are we talking about here?
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Yeah, that sticky stuff that somewhat resembles silly putty. It leaves oil marks on your posters if you leave it on too long. Also called fun tack or wall tack in my experience. I usually saw it in yellow, and one of the tweaked whistles I bought seems to have used white.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

You can find it at Office Max, if there's one near you. It's called different things...sticky tack, blue tack, etc. It'll be near the Elmer's Glue.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Most any store with a stationery department probably carries one brand or another of it. Wal-Mart has carried it since at least 1985.
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

The brand I found at a hardware store was made for a company named Manco and called Mounting Putty. It's white.
Alan
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Mounting putty?

Not sure we want to go there.

Traditional tacks (small, roughly-formed nails as used for fixing carpets) are blued in a process intended to make them rust-resistant. Tacky in Irish and I suspect British usage means sticky. I suspect that a pun therefore lies at the root of the brand name, which I think was originally spent (spent? er, I think I meant "spelt". Though maybe gardeners could find a use for spent B-T discarded by compulsive whistle tweakers as a mulch or soil enricher...) Blu-Tac. Oddly enough, I had always assumed it was American.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Roger O'Keeffe on 2002-10-10 08:45 ]</font>
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

The original Blu Tack is made by Bostik and is a pale blue in colour. There are many copycat products available, Pritt (of Pritt-Stick fame) make a white version, but I've never seen yellow tack! A tack is also another name for a drawing pin.

If you call something tacky, you means it's in poor taste. This might refer to a joke, or that hand knitted rainbow coloured wool whistle-cover your aunt Hilda made.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I just bought some at Office Max, in the glue section, made by Elmers, called Tac N Stik. It's blue. On sale for under two bucks.