scottish music

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
chayim
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

scottish music

Post by chayim »

Hi. I played fiddle for 7 years before I started learning Wooden flute. One of the things I got really into on the fiiddle was cape breton and Scottish music. Especially the Strathspeys. (I'm listening to Jerry Holland right now). Anyway...Do people play wooden flute in Cape Breton or Scottish traditional music? I have only heard fiddle and piano thus far, and occasionally pipes of some sort.
-daniel
groxburgh

Re: scottish music

Post by groxburgh »

chayim wrote:Do people play wooden flute in Cape Breton or Scottish traditional music?
Yes.
You could do worse than start reading here:
http://www.theflow.org.uk/styles/styles_scotland.html

Cheers
Graeme
caitlin ruadh

Post by caitlin ruadh »

You'd think being a DJ for fifteen years I'd know the answer to that question, but I don't! What sticks in my mind is what Cape Breton Fiddler J.P. Cormier told me once when I mentioned to him that my flute playing sounded a lot more like Cape Breton music than ITM: "Play what you want and how you are." So I imagine even if it isn't "traditional" by the normal definition of the word, Flute playing in Cape Breton music is fine.

There are lots of Scottish bands that use Flute. Skydance, Old Blind Dogs, Kornog (Breton and Scottish Hybrid), to name a few. So play what your heart tells you.

My 2p

Caitlin
Tjones

Post by Tjones »

Here a link for you Calum Stewart: http://www.myspace.com/calumfrancisstewart :)
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Look up Chris Norman. He does a lot more than Scottish and Cape Breton music, but you can tell he's really at home playing it. He is to strathspeys on the flute as Bonnie Rideout is to strathspeys on the fiddle. I never really understood the strathspey till I heard Ms Rideout play one.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
drewr

Post by drewr »

I'm from Cape Breton and although I heard a lot of celtic music being played growing up, I never once saw anyone play a flute. Although the Cape Breton style can certainly be adapted to the flute (I've done so myself), the instrument itself doesn't really seem popular there.
planxtydt

Post by planxtydt »

It would be nice to hear Callum Stewart play some scottish music on his myspace site. Nothing against his compositions, they are very nice.
There is a difference between scottish music and a scottish musician.
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

chas wrote:Look up Chris Norman. He does a lot more than Scottish and Cape Breton music, but you can tell he's really at home playing it. He is to strathspeys on the flute as Bonnie Rideout is to strathspeys on the fiddle. I never really understood the strathspey till I heard Ms Rideout play one.
In a class lesson (Scottish fluters convention, Aberdeen 2001) Chris Norman described the strathspey as the tango of Scottish music, and urged us to play it with similar fire than expressed in tango.

Cheers,
~Hans
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

chas wrote:Look up Chris Norman. He does a lot more than Scottish and Cape Breton music, but you can tell he's really at home playing it. He is to strathspeys on the flute as Bonnie Rideout is to strathspeys on the fiddle. I never really understood the strathspey till I heard Ms Rideout play one.
Oh yeah, and she sure can play them, along with anything else on the fiddle or viola! Lovely stuff!
ancientfifer

Post by ancientfifer »

hans wrote:
chas wrote:
In a class lesson (Scottish fluters convention, Aberdeen 2001) Chris Norman described the strathspey as the tango of Scottish music, and urged us to play it with similar fire than expressed in tango.
Cheers,
~Hans
IMHO, having been taught flute and whistle by a Scotsman, I would agree. A bit more percussive with striking accents and dynamics than your average flute playing. As a teen in the 70's, Breton fiddler Ron Ganella did a summer residency with our music department at a popular historic site, and that has forever influenced my playing. I think often many of us fluters may tend towards focusing on the "sweet flow" of the music. But I think a good Strathspey deserves to be "ripped" into a bit, especially after a dram er two. The mix of double-dotted and reverse double-dotted eighth note rhythms, and starkly contrasting loud and soft dynamics/accents, particularly lends to some more percussive/expressive and at times, exaggerated playing. I think one good example, might be better ones out there, which could be extrapolated to the flute somewhat, is Natalie McMasters take on Tolluchgorum w/ variations http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-d9A0jRBYY
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

fifenwhistle wrote:I think one good example, might be better ones out there, which could be extrapolated to the flute somewhat, is Natalie McMasters take on Tolluchgorum w/ variations http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-d9A0jRBYY
Tullochgorum: you mean this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdc-oL6VjIc
Great playing!

There is also a great flute rendering of this tune by Chris Norman on the CD "The Caledonian Flute" (not available to listen on the web though).

~Hans
Denny

Post by Denny »

ya gotta wait 'till just after the 1st minute :D
kenny

Post by kenny »

Who played flute with the "Old Blind Dogs"?
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

There have been some terrific flute/pipes players with the Battlefield Band over the years, including Dougie Pincock and Iain MacDonald.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
caitlin ruadh

Post by caitlin ruadh »

kenny wrote:Who played flute with the "Old Blind Dogs"?
I looked in the liner notes of the one album I have at home ( Legacy ) but it doesn't seem to have a band list anywhere. It's an old album though, and I don;t know if their most recent stuff has the same lineup anyway. I'll look again Thursday when I'm at the radio station next. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Caitlin