The RIGHT flute mechanism oil.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cork
antispam: No

The RIGHT flute mechanism oil.

Post by Cork »

There's oiling the wood of a flute, and then there's oiling its mechanism, if any.

Wood oiling aside, I've found clock maker's oil to work best on a flute's mechanism, but a little goes a long way.

It's usually only available from stores which cater to the clock maker's trade, which, BTW, is virtually obsolete.

And, be prepared for some ecological issues, because the best clock oil comes from the jawbone of a Black whale. I kid you not.

However, if kept tightly capped and refrigerated, a small bottle could last for many years.

Eventually, over some years, it will gum up, but often that can be resolved with a pipe cleaner dipped in naptha, or such similar implement.

So, now that I've expressed my opinion, what could your opinion be?

What oil do you use?
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: The RIGHT flute mechanism oil.

Post by Jon C. »

Cork wrote:There's oiling the wood of a flute, and then there's oiling its mechanism, if any.

Wood oiling aside, I've found clock maker's oil to work best on a flute's mechanism, but a little goes a long way.

It's usually only available from stores which cater to the clock maker's trade, which, BTW, is virtually obsolete.

And, be prepared for some ecological issues, because the best clock oil comes from the jawbone of a Black whale. I kid you not.

However, if kept tightly capped and refrigerated, a small bottle could last for many years.

Eventually, over some years, it will gum up, but often that can be resolved with a pipe cleaner dipped in naptha, or such similar implement.

So, now that I've expressed my opinion, what could your opinion be?

What oil do you use?
You can get valve oil at the music store.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Many, many years ago, when I only played my beginner's Bohm flute and I overhauled it, I bought from my local music store in Cardiff a bottle of Boosey & Hawkes woodwind Key Oil. I still have it, still about 2/3rds full - not dealing much with Bohm type flutes with extensive rod-axle key assemblages, I don't use a lot. I do use it on the pivots of pillar-mounted Simple System keys when I'm cleaning and overhauling such. I don't use it on wire pins in block mounts because I don't think it would be a good idea to get it soaked into the wood, nor is lubrication of them usually necessary. I've no idea what's in it (bottle doesn't say) but I'd guess petrochemical oil of some kind, just highly refined and de-sulphurised. I'd guess it is very similar to sewing machine oil available in most haberdashers. Obviously I haven't tried to buy any for donkey's years, but I know equivalent products are currently available - its in the Windcraft online catalogue..... under "repair materials - miscellaneous - lubrication". Odds are any decent classical music instrument store will stock it, though you might have to ask. As with bore oil, I'm of the opinion here that whatever the mainstream trade uses is probably the most sensible thing to go with as well as the easiest. There are likely to be good reasons why they use/supply what they do, and looking for alternatives can just breed problems.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Follow the maker's recommendation. If they don't provide one, then ask them.

For most woodwind key mechanisms, plain-old "key oil" from your local band instrument shop will work just fine. Use sparingly, back out the steel, wipe off the old oil, dribble new oil down the steel, reinsert the steel, and gently tighten--do not overtighten the steel, and check and make sure that all keys on the steel move freely.

Please be aware that some makers of fine Boehm-system flutes use other oils besides key oil One maker of very nice flutes indeed uses 30-weight automotive oil, which they say not only lubricates the mechanism but helps to silence it as well. Using key oil on one of their flutes will only serve to wash the real oil away.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

First, let me say that I have no idea what I'm talking about. I just like wondering about things. What makes this oil the best for you? How many have you tried? Is there data backing this claim or is this an aesthetic preference? Does the scarce/old-time factor have a lot to do with it? How much marginally better is this oil than the next best oil? Can this oil improve a flute or a person's playing to a noticeable factor? How much does this stuff cost? Is it worth it?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Don't feel special, sometimes I ask the same type of questions to golfers and other sports enthusiasts about their equipment. If I feel I can get away with it.
白飞梦
groxburgh

Post by groxburgh »

Cork wrote:What oil do you use?
Snake oil.
Cheers
Graeme
Cork

Post by Cork »

mutepointe wrote:First, let me say that I have no idea what I'm talking about. I just like wondering about things. What makes this oil the best for you? How many have you tried? Is there data backing this claim or is this an aesthetic preference? Does the scarce/old-time factor have a lot to do with it? How much marginally better is this oil than the next best oil? Can this oil improve a flute or a person's playing to a noticeable factor? How much does this stuff cost? Is it worth it?
Well, mutepointe, I happen to enjoy wondering about things, too. :-)

However, I once spent nearly ten years as something of an apprentice, working with antique clocks, and I have repaired literally hundreds upon hundreds of them, and of many kinds. BTW, let me say that it's of endless delight to rip an antique clock apart, right before a customer's eyes, while spreading all of its internal components out on a workbench! :-D Yet, they always got their clock back, running just as it should.

Moreover, a high grade of proper clock oil has some unique properties. It's an oil which can penetrate, which can completely lubricate, which can endure high bearing loads, which tends to stay wherever it gets put, and, in terms of flute use, which can allow a mechanism to work as quietly and as quickly as possible, all while causing no apparent damage to either metal or wood.

Really, I've never known anything else like it, and that's why I began this topic.
Last edited by Cork on Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Well, you sure were in the right place at the right time. And if you're the type of person who plays a flute to it's limits, you probably need this kind of oil.

I run across people in all types of interests (music, sports, hunting, fishing, whatever) who MUST own the very best equipment even though they may only use this equipment once a year because it "improves" whatever they are doing. I wonder how they came to know that it's the very best equipment, I wonder how they came to know that it improves whatever they are doing, and I really wonder what the unit cost is. Some of these people could probably save money by hiring Tiger Woods to play a round of golf for them than to buy the clubs they own.

You come across your knowledge legitimately.
白飞梦
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

I'd recommend this stuff, works well on my bassoon so I can't see why it wouldn't work on a post mounted flute too...

http://www.charlesmusic.com/cgi-bin/the ... er=9-2-500