Chiff & Fipple's TOP TEN WHISTLE CDs.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

I haven't heard it yet, but I wonder if the CD that P Laban recommended recently, can't remember the name, might not deserve a slot. He was very effusive and he is pretty parsimonious with the praise...
Last edited by The Weekenders on Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
carrie

Post by carrie »

I have it, and yes, definitely.

Carol
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

cskinner wrote: Have it out, all of you! I stand by my recommendations: (through some high level legal maneuvering, and throwing his moderator weight around a bit, as he is so wont to do, Alan was able to obtain the rights to present these collections online)

Chiffy Chat Christmas 2003
A Chiffy Christmas 2004

(A groundbreaking 2002 collection seems to be out of print at the moment.
Carol
I had totally forgotten about the Chiffy Christmas Tunes. Thanks for resurecting those, Carol. :) Some might consider them "fluff" but I enjoyed them. I no longer have the breath to play more than a few notes at a time or the dexterity in my fingers to do much with the breath I have. I felt like i was listening to someone else tootling the tunes I submitted. Not saying they were all that good -- just a world of difference between then and now is all.

Will O'
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

The CD Weeks & cskinner are referring to is by Brid O'Donohue, called Tobar an Dúchais ("the well of the tradition"). It's brilliant, and has replaced Mary Bergin's CD's at the top of my list of whistle CDs. Gorgeous style.

http://www.bridodonohue.com/tobar_main.php
/Bloomfield
carrie

Post by carrie »

Will O'B wrote:I no longer have the breath to play more than a few notes at a time or the dexterity in my fingers to do much with the breath I have. I felt like i was listening to someone else tootling the tunes I submitted. Not saying they were all that good -- just a world of difference between then and now is all.
How lovely to have recorded them, Will. I always need to remind myself to do the things that give life joy and meaning now, not wait for a "right" time, but now.

And about the Brid O'Donohue CD: I agree with Bloomfield. I was just listening to Mary Bergin today--great, of course. O'Donohue's CD, unaccompanied whistle, is just more direct, a more direct entry to the heart, I guess, without the least bit of sentimentality. It seems humble even amidst her remarkable skill. Gorgeous is a very good word for it.

Carol
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

cskinner wrote: You may argue--surely you will--that the use of the cello on one of the tracks eliminates this collection from consideration;
Carol
Funny you should say that. You probably know better than I about this, Carol, but I thought Noel Rice once told me that there were a couple of kids in at least one of the Academy of Irish Music's ensemble groups who played the cello as their group instrument. Of course, I wouldn't be suprised if I totally misunderstood what he was saying. :oops:

Will O'

colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

dwinterfield wrote:The only addition I might make is Danu. Saw them a few weeks ago and the singer plays mightly good whislte. She also did several whistle duets with the flute player - both playing inexpensive brass whistles with green plastic mouthpieces. Wonderful.
Yes, they did a really sweet whistle duet version of the Kilfenora Jig when I saw them last month.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
carrie

Post by carrie »

No, Will, you are quite right. Cellos are indeed in the Academy's band. I was just joking, goofing around with the idea that our little Xmas tunes could be discussed in intellectualized ways, though it's true that one of the tunes features my own (then little) son on cello.

Carol
Last edited by carrie on Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

My office system is not letting me look at the Yahoo briefcase site. Is it
still active and loaded? I'll try at home tonight.

As for the cello, years ago, before he was famous, I saw Lyle Lovett introduce cello music in his Texas dance band. I loved it. If it worked there, I'm sure it will fit just fine with a whistle.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Doncha O Brien (I don't have the correct spelling, I'm sure)

Feadoga Stain I and II
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I haven't the funds to engage in WHOACD, but do have a couple that are indeed my faves:

Joanie Madden, Song of the Irish Whistle I and II

John Skelton - A Few Tunes

Brid O'Donohue - Tobar an Dúchais

Solas - Solas, Worlds that Remain, Suuny Spells

edited to add a few as they hit me
Last edited by anniemcu on Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I see that there are some entries that are for bands with whistles, like Lunasa. I hope there is a deliniation.

I see also that only Steve suggested Doncha O Brien. I feel certain it's only because hardly anyone has heard it. My whistle teacher made a CD copy of his LP for me. It's worth the effort to find.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

Bloomfield wrote:The CD Weeks & cskinner are referring to is by Brid O'Donohue, called Tobar an Dúchais ("the well of the tradition"). It's brilliant, and has replaced Mary Bergin's CD's at the top of my list of whistle CDs. Gorgeous style.

http://www.bridodonohue.com/tobar_main.php
Truly beautiful. I don't know how to describe the style. So effortless and natural.

With some players I sometimes feel they are trying to "show off" by doing things with their instrument that call attention to their playing. I find myself listening to how they're playing rather than what they're playing (if that makes sense). I don't get that impression from the clips I listened to. Anyway, I liked the samples of O'Donohue's playing a lot. I shall add her CD to my collection. Thanks for posting the link.

Will O'

kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I can't agree with you more Will- You have totally summed up my feelings on Brid's playing.She DOES seem so natural,and unforced-though to be fair,Mary Bergin was supposed to have been rather nervous on recording 'Feadog Stain'.
So,without further ado- my list(in no strict order-yeah,cop out! cop out! :lol: ) :
'Tobar an Duchais'- Brid O'Donohue
'Ireland's Whistling Ambassador'- Micho Russell+
'Tin Whistles'-Sean Potts,Paddy Maloney
'The Minstrel from Clare'- Willie Clancy*
'Feadog Stain' & 'Feadog Stain 2' Mary Bergin
'Musical Journey, & 'Music for Whistle and Guitar'-Cormac Breatnach#
'Take the air'- Sean Ryan

+ Too be honest, all of the Micho Russell recordings that I've heard are indispensible,IMHO.This one is probably the easiest to obtain though.
* O.K.,So it's mainly Uilleann Piping-but you haven't lived until you've heard Willie play the whistle(he's a definate influence on Brid and Mary).I've heard that he was an even better Flute player than Piper,until he lost his teeth(!).
#This is about as post modern as I get(!)
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Will O'B wrote:With some players I sometimes feel they are trying to "show off" by doing things with their instrument that call attention to their playing. I find myself listening to how they're playing rather than what they're playing (if that makes sense). I don't get that impression from the clips I listened to. Anyway, I liked the samples of O'Donohue's playing a lot. I shall add her CD to my collection. Thanks for posting the link.

Will O'
I think you have that just right with Brid. She is that way in person, too. I had the great fortune of sitting in her kitchen playing tunes with Peter and her (they let me toot along a bit, bless them). It was all so natural and real and beautiful.
FJohnSharp wrote:I see also that only Steve suggested Doncha O Brien. I feel certain it's only because hardly anyone has heard it. My whistle teacher made a CD copy of his LP for me. It's worth the effort to find.
Dito on Donncha. Listening to him playing the Man of Aran now. Terrific stuff. There is a book of his tunes out, published by Comhaltas, I don't know if it's still in print. I've been meaning to pick that one up.
/Bloomfield