Italian Baroque Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Italian Baroque Flutes

Post by crookedtune »

I'm not a student of historical woodwinds, but enjoy discussions here about the famous makers whose instruments served as models for what most of us play.

Last month I had the good fortune to tour north-central Italy for two weeks, and took time out to visit the extremely cool 'Museum of Musical Instruments' in the Castello Sforzesco in Milan. http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/3e4efc/
If you go, don't slip on my drool --- this collection far surpasses anything I've seen before: violins, cellos, lutes, mandolins, guitars, harps, hurdy-gurdies, rooms and rooms full.... :shock:

Anyway, there were many examples of Italian simple-system flutes, mostly keyed, from various parts of Italy. Most were in pretty sad shape, with many of the boxwood instruments being banana-shaped. I wasn't able to make out much about their origins, (having only very basic Italian language skills). I'm curious to know if the Italian makers figured prominently in the evolution of the flutes we play. Were there "master" makers whose instruments are still copied? Is anyone still playing one of these?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Italian Baroque Flutes

Post by Sillydill »

Hey CrookedTune,

The only popularly reproduced Italian Baroque Flute model that I know of is the Palanca.

Here's some info lifted from Martin Wenner's website:
Carlo Palanca worked as a bassoonist and instrument maker in Turin, where he died at the ripe old age of 95 years in 1783. In contrast to many other Baroque flutes, his instruments possess an oval embouchure, that allows for a more powerful sound. In addition, the original is manufactured in ebony, which compresses the sound still more. Nevertheless, the Palanca flute is not a harsh instrument, but rather allows the most diverse tonal shades. The usually very muted cross-fingered notes such as F, G sharp or B are especially strong on this flute and have a very good core. One can call the Palanca flute a universal instrument that covers a broad spectrum of the flute literature. It is particularly suitable for music of Locatelli, Platti, and Handel in addition to J. S. Bach.
Last edited by Sillydill on Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Hoovorff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Hoovorff »

At first, I was thinking of Simon Polak's Tassi flute, but apparently that was made by someone in France. Of course, the name seems to be Italian. Mr. Polak discusses that flute (and links to Jed Wentz's comments on it) on his website under "flutes":
www.earlyflute.com

(I think that's it)

Jeanie
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm pretty sure Bassani was Italian, although he was active during the late Renaissance/early Baroque, and definitely made Renaissance flutes.

OTOH, Monzani and Clementi were both Italians who worked in England and influenced English flutes in the romantic era.

I'm with Jordan, in that the only Italian baroque maker I can think of is Palanca.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Here is a Assisi flute maker on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhEoP0uhYLM
Here he is showing the Boxwood he uses for gasp! recorders... Aged from the year 900!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVjiz5L0hlI
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Early 1900's maybe, early 900 highly doubtful. Am guessing there was a typo or translation error, unless he had the stuff carbon dated.....
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Loren wrote:Early 1900's maybe, early 900 highly doubtful. Am guessing there was a typo or translation error, unless he had the stuff carbon dated.....
I think it could be possible to have logs that old, in Assisi, he might even be related to they guy that cut the tree down.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon