Chanter Reed Dimensions

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
jeffcooke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Chanter Reed Dimensions

Post by jeffcooke »

I want to become self-sufficient in reed making, however the reed in my chanter has distinctly different dimensions than the chanter reeds shown on a number of well-known websites (featuring instructions on making reeds). For example, my reed and staple are 2 inches long, whereas most of the example reeds are 3 inches long (amoung many other differences).

So the question is... should I attempt to make a reed that replicates the reed supplied with my chanter, or should I follow the instructions for more typical chanter reeds?

Thanks
Jeff
Elmek
antispam: No

Re: Chanter Reed Dimensions

Post by Elmek »

Is it a plastic one of 'far east' origin

If not who made the chanter as this is the best starting point for advice as it is very, very short.

Did you buy new or second hand as it may be the wrong reed

The reed in my Bayley chanter is 78mm long and has a slightly narrower head than is given in the manuals but plays very well is spot on D at average UK temperatures and is the original fiited around 8 years ago.

John
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

2 inches is very short. The staples I use are longer than that.

As mentioned, the best starting point is to speak with the maker of your chanter.
PJ
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

I use staple length 50 mm or 2 inches with 1.2 mm eye id for my Rogge Wide bore D Chanter.

Other reedmaker's may use different staple lengths of 47.5 mm 48 mm 49 mm, 50 mm, 51 mm, 52 mm, 53 mm ,54 mm 55 mm and 56 mm
For the eye of staple id different sizes can be from 1.2 mm , 1.3 mm 1.4 mm 1.5 mm and 1.6.

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell