Richard Quest-ion

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Richard Quest-ion

Post by MTGuru »

Here's a query for you sharp-eared Britons. CNN Interational watchers are probably familiar with on-screen personality Richard Quest. My question is: What exactly is his accent?

According to Wiki, he's originally from Liverpool, and studied in Leeds. But he sounds like neither a Scouser nor a Yorkshireman to me. More like Estuary-influenced RP, but with long long vowels and wide tonal inflection, and a tendency to round the non-rhotic mid-Rs (vewy stwange!) that I've heard in hyper-corrected RP. To an American ear it sounds almost like a caricature.

I once attended a multilingual conference at the EU Hemicycle in Luxembourg, complete with simultaneous headphone interpretation. And I swear that the French interpreter in the booth was Richard Quest. My colleage and I ended up laughing so hard we actually had to leave the room.

So help me understand this speech. Is it an indentifiable accent, or something more idiosyncratic?

(And yes, I know that Mr. Quest is gay, but I don't presume that's any sort of explanation.)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Innocent Bystander

Re: Richard Quest-ion

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Never 'eard of him. But I looked him up on Wiki and Youtube and listened to his accent.

It's not a broad scouser [Liverpool] accent. It might be an upper-crust Liverpool accent - now I come to think of it he does sound a bit like me Auntie Isabel, but she's Birkenhead, loik.

To be honest, I'd say he's got the BBC received pronunciation, which is out of fashion at the moment. More like Hugh Grant [received pronunciation] than Craig Charles [scouser].

But... that bit of husky growl to his voice... could he be a crystal meth user?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Innocent Bystander wrote: But... that bit of husky growl to his voice... could he be a crystal meth user?
Dunno. How's he doing for teeth?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

I also had to look him up, I'm afraid. I noticed he pronounces the "g" at the end of "going," for example, as in a Birmingham accent. Beyond that, I go with the BBC received pronunciation, like IB.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

One of me tutors at Edinburgh had real RP. It is a bit mind-blowing when you hear it in the flesh for the first time. This bloke was a caricature of himself. He pronounced "railway": "rallway". He used to wear striped shirts with plain collars and expensive suits with red braces(suspenders). And I'd guess he had about a 48" waist.

And one of my female friends told a tale about the time he invited her into the staff union, and ended up chasing her around a table... ...that was about the price of him.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Innocent Bystander wrote:But... that bit of husky growl to his voice... could he be a crystal meth user?
Is that irony or a lucky guess?

Quest Arrest
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Thanks all, so far. I guess his accent is mostly an exaggerated RP, with a bit of personal exuberance thrown in. To my ear, he still sounds distinct from other garden variety BBC presenters or, say, actors I associate with RP.

As for the "incident" ... There but for the grace of god go we. Well, maybe not. :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Is that the guy that got arrested in the park with the drugs????

Actual person aside, what a great name.

Editing in to answer myself, check it out, he's like Kwai Chang Caine hisownselff:

[linkie]
How do you prepare for the end of the world?