Lined vs Unlined Headjoint

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
raytwinb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Lined vs Unlined Headjoint

Post by raytwinb »

Can anyone here shed some light on the matter? I realize that it has a lot to do with personal preference. I like the reedy buzz the flute can produce, and I know that it is just as much the flute as the player, but how does a lined or unlinded headjoint factor in?
I've read several flute makers sites and find some do and some don't line the headjoints and they have their opinions on the matter. I've played bohem system flute for years and it seems to me that a fully lined headjoint would give you pretty much the same sound (I have no experinece) I've only played unlined wooden flutes for about the last 2 1/2 years or so.
I know I'm asking for a lot of personal opinions, so I'm prepared! :pint:

Ray
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without !
planxtydt
antispam: No

Re: Lined vs Unlined Headjoint

Post by planxtydt »

Gabriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

I played both and, to be honest, I don't care at all. ;) My current flute has a lined headjoint, the previos one was unlined, the next one will be lined again - I liked and like them all, no matter if lined or not. I also can't track down the subtle differences in sound to the lining. Embouchure and bore shape are bigger factors.
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

this might be potentially dangerous but, according to tom aebi when I was discussing this, he recommended me to get a lined one because this would be louder.
this was three years ago and since then I don't care anymore as any flute is plenty loud when played well.

so it must be something else then?
berti
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

This could just be me, just a subjective personal thought based on some personal experience, but I think a non-lined head tends to produce a mellower tone while a lined head can be more edgy. Maybe I'm just using faulty "common sense" in thinking wood is more woody and metal more metalic, like thinking ships can only be made of wood because wood floats whereas metal just sinks. FWIW.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I believe it may go like this.

There are unlined flutes that play louder and project better than
lined flutes (headjoints, that is).

However for most unlined flutes, they will play louder and project
better if lined.

On the otherhand the unlined headjoints tend to have a woodier sound,
though a lined headjoint still sounds like a wooden flute, not a Boehm.
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

Forgive my question, but as english is not my mother language, I might have missed some point.
In my mind, lined headjoint means that the embouchure hole is lined up with the tone holes. Am I correct?

cheers,

Pascal.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Hi Pascal,

We mean by a 'lined headjoint,' one that is entirely metal coated on the inside, often in silver,
sometimes in brass. Unlined would be just wood. Some headjoints are partially lined,
so that there can be a slide, but most of headjoint is unlined--which may give
the flute a 'woodier' sound.
Denny

Post by Denny »

jim stone wrote:I believe it may go like this.
yer makin' me miss drinkin', ya know.....
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

I recently acquired a flute with an Abei hj which is partially lined. I am liking it quite a lot! Until now, I have always played flutes with a lined hj. I personally feel that it is a little quieter, but then again, the flute has smaller holes and bore, than my other flutes. Other players sitting across the table from me seem to think it is loud. Is that just me? I dunno. What I do know is that I like the sound and I seem to get that same reedy buzz from the partially lined hj that I do with the fully lined ones. Check out some the clips on my podbean acct. The Firth, Pond & Co. flute has the partially lined hj. The other tunes are recorded on my Hudson Pratten with the fully lined hj.
Arbo
Last edited by ImNotIrish on Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Hey, INI, just listened to some of your clips...very nice. To my ears it sounds like your style is coming together, tightening up. Excellent. I like the Firth sound a lot. Interesting how we all sound about the same on whatever flute we play, just a matter of degrees between different axes. Same is true of lined or unlined I'm sure.
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

Thank you, Jim, for the explanation.

Cheers,

Pascal.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Akiba wrote:Hey, INI, just listened to some of your clips...very nice. To my ears it sounds like your style is coming together, tightening up. Excellent. I like the Firth sound a lot. Interesting how we all sound about the same on whatever flute we play, just a matter of degrees between different axes. Same is true of lined or unlined I'm sure.
Thanks very much. I am still not sure what my 'style' is however. Any thoughts.? Just curious. I am not saavy to the regional styles really, though I do know I have a very different style than a good friend of mine who plays with that really huffy-puffy, pulsating technique!
Arbo
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I don't know words for the style and I enjoy the clips. thanks
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Akiba wrote:This could just be me, just a subjective personal thought based on some personal experience, but I think a non-lined head tends to produce a mellower tone while a lined head can be more edgy. Maybe I'm just using faulty "common sense" in thinking wood is more woody and metal more metalic, like thinking ships can only be made of wood because wood floats whereas metal just sinks. FWIW.
I think you're onto something here. The Titanic was metal and it sank as Irish music was playing. Irish music and metal just don't go together .......
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit