Lined vs Unlined Headjoint

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gordon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Lined vs Unlined Headjoint

Post by Gordon »

talasiga wrote:
Akiba wrote:This could just be me, just a subjective personal thought based on some personal experience, but I think a non-lined head tends to produce a mellower tone while a lined head can be more edgy. Maybe I'm just using faulty "common sense" in thinking wood is more woody and metal more metalic, like thinking ships can only be made of wood because wood floats whereas metal just sinks. FWIW.
I think you're onto something here. The Titanic was metal and it sank as Irish music was playing. Irish music and metal just don't go together .......
As funny as this is, it has no basis in fact - most antique flutes used for ITM had/have lined heads (old German flutes, certainly, and the majority of English do, too, to my knowledge.) Right now, modern makers split it pretty evently (non-scientific survey, done in my early morning, tired brain); maybe 50% wood (partially-lined), or completely lined. Great players can be found using either, to no remarkable distinction beyond the playing itself.

My blackwood flute with a partially lined head has a far brighter sound than my flute with a lined head, which has a more focused, darker sound. The former is louder, because it's a Pratten body; yet the latter, a Rudall-style, is quite loud enough. Both have a wide frequency range, if the embouchure is hit correctly, which is my job, not the flutes'.

It's counter-intuitive, but a wood head barrel will not necessarily be more mellow than a lined head, nor more "woody". Boxwood tends to be mellower than blackwood, if left unlined, but - beyond that, IMO, more involves the embouchure cut, whether the flute is a Rudall-style or Pratten, and, yet again, the player's personal embouchure. These seem to be the same factors that decide most of these threads, regarding sound.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Nicely put, Gordon. Pre-supposing what a headjoint will sound like based on the presence or absence of a lining is bound to color your perceptions once you actually hear/play the instrument. Embouchure cut and, well, embouchure have so much more to do with tone than do either wood or lining. As for lined heads being louder, the single loudest sound I've ever heard come from a flute-playing human without benefit of amplification emanates from Michael Hynes, wielding his 6-key, left-handed Murray with a half-lined headjoint. He likes to bang out a preliminary low D before lighting into a set of tunes; if you aren't looking, it's liable to make you jump right out of your skin when it goes off. Cheers,

Rob
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Dare I bring up the wood shrinks more than metal issue? A cracked head joint has neither a bright nor woody sound.

Clark
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

You've been reading Terry's site, haven't you? I always feel that too much is made of this issue; for every cracked lined head, there are untold thousands that haven't cracked. Plus, a poke 'round on Terr's site will produce a pic of a half-lined head that cracked wickedly. No liner whatsoever? Not interested. Got to have that slide.

Rob
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Yes, Clarke, you can bring it up to make some uninformed newbies aware, though if they've done any homework on the matter, they have probably already found it's really a non-issue if you take reasonable care of your flute. So then, it's not an issue at all. But you can bring it up if you really want to. :)
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Gordon wrote: ...........

As funny as this is, it has no basis in fact..........

OK. Let me explain by elucidating -

Irish music and heavy metal don't go together .......
:)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

talasiga

Post by talasiga »

A picture may be worth a thousand words
but not when it comes to words about music.
For that you need other words or the music itself.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

It's called a "joke," Tal. Google it.

Rob
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

I really dislike IA's playing :evil: ...need more coffee, need more coffee...
Denny

Post by Denny »

It took me ages to get over it :lol:
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

"redundant" "post" "Rob" "."
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Ian is Ian.

Always a good show.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Bill Wolfe

Post by Bill Wolfe »

Rob Sharer wrote:the single loudest sound I've ever heard come from a flute-playing human without benefit of amplification emanates from Michael Hynes.....Rob
Rob,
Thanks for that! After a decade-long hiatus, I'm back to buying recordings of Irish flute playing in a fair way. Your post prompted me to look for recordings of Michael Hynes, and the search turned up a real gem called "Waifs and Strays." Just phenomenal pure-drop fiddle-flute duets. The accompaniment's not half bad, either :thumbsup: ! For the moment, it's at the top of a very distinguished heap.
Bill