Aluminum vs Brass in Burke high D Narrow Bore

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
FloydW

Aluminum vs Brass in Burke high D Narrow Bore

Post by FloydW »

I have a brass Burke high D session whistle and love it. Now I'm going to purchase a narrow bore high D and want to know the difference to expect in brass vs aluminum whistles. I'm not sure which to order. (I've tried emailing the Burke Whistles site, but haven't gotten a response as of yet.) Any observations, comments, preferences, or biases that will help me make up my mind will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Jason Paul

Re: Aluminum vs Brass in Burke high D Narrow Bore

Post by Jason Paul »

This video from Doc Jones might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_P9GYVK ... annel_page

Jason
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

It's subjective and impressionistic (and synaesthetic) IMO. Some think that brass gives a mellower sound than aluminum or nickel, but I never hear a consistent difference. Geometry is far more important than the material. So it's mostly your preference for the look and feel of the metal and how it ages (or not) over time.

And welcome to the Chiffboard. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Doc's video linked above pretty much demonstrates my impressions from playing them. All Burkes are pure, the aluminum whistles have a sweeter sound, brass a bit warm and complex compared to the aluminum, and the composite material does sound and feel more like wood than metal.

I've had all three, The one I kept longest was the brass. It met my personal preference by a small margin more than the others. Altogether very nice instruments.

But preference is subjective and personal as MTGuru asserts. Have fun.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I own and play all three - aluminum, brass and composite. And I agree with the previous posts. It may be a matter of how much you want your whistle to weigh. The composite whistle is so light you may forget to hold onto it. The brass whistle feels substantial, you know it's there. The aluminum whistle is in between those two. The all sound good and have the same playing characteristics. I've recorded with all three and the brass and aluminum are indistinguishable from each other in a mix (although I feel a difference when playing them). The composite whistle is just more mellow. You can't make a bad decision here.

I've offered this opinion before, it's merely one opinion though. If I had to live with just one whistle (shudder!), I'd probably choose the Burke narrow bore brass. And yet I play the heck out of the aluminum one too. Buy all three just to make sure.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
FloydW

Post by FloydW »

I want to thank you folks for the thoughtful responses to my question. Still not sure, but like you said, I can't go wrong either way.
optakeover

Post by optakeover »

I own a brass Burke high D session.

It's not a narrow bore, but I can tell you what a pain it is to polish it as it always tarnishes.

I assume that aluminium still tarnishes, but unlike brass which results in a matt finish aluminium will still retain some lustre. Am I right, aluminium whistle owners?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75721&start=30

"However to me, above all it's not about the whistles. I love all my whistles, but I love the music more."
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

optakeover wrote:I assume that aluminium still tarnishes, but unlike brass which results in a matt finish aluminium will still retain some lustre. Am I right, aluminium whistle owners?
Yes. :-) If you're a shiny whistle fan (like me) ... With its gloss finish, the aluminum Burke will show some wear at the fingerholes and thumbs, which can be more or less polished out. Otherwise it retains its shiny appearance with only very occasional polishing.

dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

MTGuru wrote: Yes. :-) If you're a shiny whistle fan (like me) ...
How shiny are you? :-?
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Denny

Post by Denny »

oh, he's very shiny!

and he's got three speeds!!!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

But the wheels fell off a long time ago ... :oops:

chansherly212
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by chansherly212 »

MTGuru wrote:
optakeover wrote:I assume that aluminium still tarnishes, but unlike brass which results in a matt finish aluminium will still retain some lustre. Am I right, aluminium whistle owners?
Yes. :-) If you're a shiny whistle fan (like me) ... With its gloss finish, the aluminum Burke will show some wear at the fingerholes and thumbs, which can be more or less polished out. Otherwise it retains its shiny appearance with only very occasional polishing.
I'm a shiny whistle fan too :) i was really leaning towards the brass, but then, i remembered how brass tends to develop patina really fast (especially when i'm living near the equator, with crazy high humidity), and i want my whistle to still have that shine with little effort. i wonder though, what makes brass that much more prone to tarnishing than aluminium?
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

chansherly212 wrote: i wonder though, what makes brass that much more prone to tarnishing than aluminium?
Chemistry.

Aluminium oxidises way faster than the metals in the brass alloy (copper and zinc), but aluminium oxide forms a thin hard, almost invisible, layer. The patina on brass is much darker and therefore much more noticeable. I think the patina on brass is more porous, and so becomes thicker before it throttles the corrosion.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Guyon

Post by Guyon »

I like patina. I've also always liked carbon steel knives that developed a nice patina over time.

When you polish, aren't you removing a microscopic amount of metal? Over a couple of decades, you'll polish your whistle away! :D
dspmusik
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dspmusik »

after a couple centuries, yes! :shock:
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."