flutes for small hands

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bramble
antispam: No

flutes for small hands

Post by bramble »

I've got tiny hands. I've just been trying with the Dixon I recently purchased but there's just no way I can cover RH 2&3, the holes are too big and too far apart. I have the same problem with low whistles ... *sigh* :(

I've heard that Bleazey flutes are good for small hands. Does anyone have any knowledge of a starter range flute for freaks? (ahem, I mean people with small hands).

I'm saving to get myself something gorgeous so only want to spend little bucks to tide me over for 6 months.

Thanks guys.
hydromel89
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: flutes for small hands

Post by hydromel89 »

I am by no mean an expert, but I do have small hands and own a Bleazey that is a very nice flute to handle. The holes are quite small and not far away from each other. For the bottom hand, the total span between H4 and H6 is more than 10 mm smaller than on my MK Low whistle.

I would guess (but more experienced chiffers could confirm... or not) that the Rudall design might be more suited to small hands. I tried some Pratten flutes that were MUCH more challenging for me in terms of holes size and spacing.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Pascal.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

bramble wrote:I've got tiny hands. I've just been trying with the Dixon I recently purchased but there's just no way I can cover RH 2&3, the holes are too big and too far apart. I have the same problem with low whistles ... *sigh*
So, which Dixon flute are you playing? Is it the three piece conical bore flute or one of the cylindrical Dixon flutes, which are made in one or two pieces? The three piece Dixon delrin flute is a small holed flute and one I would usually recommend for small hands.

What grip are you using? Have you tried using a piper's grip for your right hand? The piper's or flat-fingered grip can help increase your reach and cover those right hand holes. I also find it more comfortable. I'd try modifying my grip before buying another flute. Just some thoughts. Good luck.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Check out Casey Burn's folk flutes for small hands- he has good measuring info for these on his website- my hands are definitely on the small side and I can handle his "small-hands" folk flute(which is lovely btw)
radcliff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

le_koukou is selling a french flute... you may ask for it, small holes, lovely tone (probably, since i have a similar one).
of course you will harder get a reed-like powerful tone, but "power is nothing without controll" :-P
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Like Feadoggie said, the 3-piece Dixon conical flute (about $200 USD) has really small finger holes and should be easy to cover, especially using piper's grip with the right hand.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

i never understand why those with small hands don't automatically give a Siccama flute a try.
They are immensely comfortable and are as loud and responsive as any other out there.

holding onto the idea that there's an unkeyed flute in D that will work well -- both in volume, tone and comfort -- just doesn't seem to be a good idea. I know a few makers give them a try, but they all seem to come up short in one manner or another for the simple reason that if the flute were mean to be designed in that manner they would have been, no?

Now, if you're playing alone or in a two-man solo (with a non-melody accompanist) then an F flute is the way to go. They're compact, brilliant in sound and every bit as fun to play.

I have smallish hands for a man and while I can certainly make the reach on a D flute, even a C.....I get tired. Eb and F flutes are my mainstay.....and now an E flute of some note (a Boosey&Hawkes). Now that's interesting!
bramble

Post by bramble »

Tanks for the useful advice - I'll check out the casey burns option, my hands are defo smaller than the 19cm he recommends. I'm not convinced about piper's grip ... mainly because I've come from classical flute playing and i just find it hard to cover the holes with anything but the ends of my fingers ... psychology eh?
I've got the cylindrical bore Dixon, which is just impossible unfortunately.
Thanks again :thumbsup: for info & help
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The stretch on a Bleazey is a bit more than on a Burns, but the holes are generally smaller (except for LH3 and RH3, which are tiny on a small-hand Burns). So that might be a wash. Having owned both, I find the Bleazey much more rewarding to play. Either of them will be orders of magnitude easier and better sounding than the Dixon cylindrical flute, which is just a low-D whistle turned on its side.

Phil Bleazey makes a G flute, which I've heard good things about. As David said, even going a half step or so up in pitch will make the flute much easier to handle.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Casey burns small-hands flutes are definitely playable by people with tiny hands.
You can call him up and talk to him.
Timberflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a flute-player and a lover of wooden flutes. I play both Irish traditional and Baroque music. For what it's worth, I also enjoy knitting.

Post by Timberflute »

Rob Forbes flutes, particularly with the offset 3rd and 6th holes are also great for small hands. http://www.forbesflutes.com/
flutey1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by flutey1 »

It really depends how you hold the flute. I have small hands and play a Hamilton (Pratten, with large holes and a big stretch) and people are often surprised that I can reach and cover all the holes, but with the way I play I have no problem. Experiment with a few different ways/angles of holding the flute and you may have to get used to something different, but I'd imagine you could make it work.