Playing with a cold sore.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Mettadore
antispam: No

Playing with a cold sore.

Post by Mettadore »

I'd like to know if there is a serious reason I should avoid playing my flute while I have a cold sore.

For the record, I've got a Tipple, which seems unlikely to harbor the virus (which I have in my body anyway) and can swab it anyway afterward. I know of Abreva, Blistex, Lysine, etc. and have read everything in these, and some other forums, that I could find on avoiding and reducing them.

My question is limited to possible harm I'd do to my flute, embouchure, technique, etc. by playing with the cold sore. I just really want to play my flute, don't feel like staying away for the few days that the sore lasts and the scare is healing. I am willing to deal with imperfect tone for a bit even if I'm just concentrating on practicing fingering and working on phrasing and breath control. Plus, I have a lesson on Thursday that I really don't want to miss.

Thoughts? Thanks.
John Metta
Almost able to play a whole tune on his Ormiston Pratten
celticmodes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Playing with a cold sore.

Post by celticmodes »

Cold sores are aggravated by touching them. I don't think you'll do any damage to your embouchure but you may lengthen the healing time by making it "angry".

My mom taught me a neat trick. When you feel one coming on, ice the spot for like 10 minutes until it's quite numb. The virus doesn't do well with that and the resulting sore will be much smaller and of shorter duration, if it comes up at all.

Good luck.
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
ChrisCracknell

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Depending on where on your lips the cold sore is, then you may have swollen lips which will bugger up your embouchure. Be prepared to sound Cr*p for as long as the sore is there. Sterilize your flute before letting anyone else use it. Be aware that many sterilizing agents might not be particularly good for your flute.
ChrisCracknell

Post by ChrisCracknell »

and products like [] (and related no-brand products) will reduce the size and duration of the problem if used enough and early enough. Tea tree oil will help too.

[Name of prescription drug removed. - Mod]
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Ice, specific treatment as advised by pharmacist/doctor/multinational-drug-company. And tin whistle.

And chill out a bit. Slow airs or something.
Last edited by david_h on Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julia Delaney
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Sterilize your flute before letting anyone else use it.

Or even better- don't let anybody else play it. I generally refuse to let other people play my flute.
It isn't always easy to do this- but if I wouldn't kiss the person asking to have a go on the flute then I won't let them play it.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

With a TIpple it won't matter, but never play a wooden flute if you have any kind of abrasion or open sore on your lip. Doing so will allow your immune system to recognize and get sensitive to allergens in the wood. You could develop a screaming blackwood (or other wood) allergy.

Skin is your friend. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Enough with the excuses. Dr. Faustus had no trouble playing with a sold core.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
m31
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by m31 »

Julia Delaney wrote:Sterilize your flute before letting anyone else use it.

Or even better- don't let anybody else play it. I generally refuse to let other people play my flute.
It isn't always easy to do this- but if I wouldn't kiss the person asking to have a go on the flute then I won't let them play it.
I doubt Matt Molloy or Kevin Crawford would ever kiss me, but I would kiss...AAHHH never mind! :lol: :love: