Reels in B-flat

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mgpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Reels in B-flat

Post by mgpiper »

I know there are probably a lot of reels out there in B-flat - I am looking for something that is fairly standard (or common), where I might be able to find a recording of it. Does anyone know of any tunes like this?

Thanks...
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Reels in B-flat

Post by MTGuru »

mgpiper wrote:I know there are probably a lot of reels out there in B-flat
Irish tunes? Hmm, why would you think that?

It's not a friendly key for flute, whistle, uilleann pipes, box, concertina. There's not a single Bb (Major) tune in the Norbeck collection. A few in the Bill Black collection, none common.

A G tune on an F flute or whistle, or D tune on a Bb flute or whistle, becomes a Bb tune.

What are you actually looking for, and why? Curious ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

There are lots of Gminor-ish tunes that would get you close, I guess. A few I like: Caisleann an Oir, Valencia Harbour, Red Tom of The Hills, Memories of Coleman, and lots of other Reavy reels, actually, Splendid Isolation, um... hmm I guess that's all I can think of that are close to Gm or Bb...
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Can't think of anything Bb offhand. Twopenny Jig (O'N 1001 #265) is in F and a handy workout - but is a jig and in F, not a reel in Bb...... Plenty of - well, a fair few - reels in D minorish modes.......

Of course, you could always transpose something if you're just trying to give your keys a workout! And check out sources of Scottish tunes - far more in flat keys there than in Irish 'cos of the pipes.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Try Terry Teehan's / Her long black hair as played by Mike McGoldrick on WFO1 disk 1, but on the D flute. First is in C minor, second in Bb major/G minorish. Great workout and sounds nice on the D flute.
Michel

Post by Michel »

here's my take on the above mentioned Splendid Isolation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc1t0V6CVWI
it's a Gmin tune though..
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Do you want Bb or does Gm count? The Girl Who Broke My Heart (Girl That I Once Knew, etc..) would be an obvious one in the latter key, it's the very first reel listed in O'Neill's 1001. Played on the Kitty Hayes & Peter Laban CD, although they obviously play it in Am with the flat pipes and C concertina (which is how I'd do it on C whistle).
MT Guru wrote:It's not a friendly key for flute, whistle, uilleann pipes, box, concertina.
It is if they're in C! ;-)
Mark
mgpiper

Post by mgpiper »

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I know it's a lousy flute key...

In answer to "why B-flat" - the singer in our band wanted a B-flat reel to follow her song in B-flat. I figured F would be easier to find, but I thought I would see what might be out there. I didn't think there would be many Irish tunes, but thought there may be more Scottish ones in that key.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

mgpiper wrote:In answer to "why B-flat" - the singer in our band wanted a B-flat reel to follow her song in B-flat.
Aha. sure. Then you want to play a reel in Bb, not necessarily a Bb reel. Choose the tune you want, in any key, and transpose it. I see several different scenarios.

o If you're playing transposing instruments that can navigate Bb in the first place (e.g. Bb or F flute, whistle, etc.) then just pick a D or G tune that, when fingered, will keep you in Bb.

o If you're playing non-transposing instruments (e.g. D flute, fiddle) that can manage the Bb song, then just transpose a favorite reel to Bb and play it. Tunes in A are likely to transpose most readily without putting you out of range. Otherwise just fold the tune as necessary.

o Forget Bb, and just modulate to a different key for the tune in its "native" key. That's done all the time for performance arrangements such as you're playing.

Yes, there are more notated Scottish tunes in Bb. Which correlates well with the notion that Scottish trad repertoire, as thought of today, is more fiddle-centric in its origins.

Cheers!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Holmes

Post by Holmes »

Bb is possible on a D, 8 key, see; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_tSMoDlM4k The eyes are a distraction caused by a bird on my garage roof. I normally look really handsome! - rushed recording just to reply to this.

I'd recommend G fingering on an F flute.

Music is the real way of speaking, everything else is just filling in. (between gigs)
Alan Plater, Misterioso

H
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Hmmmm.... what would I do?

Play a reed in D on a B flat flute or B flat whistle

Something in G fingering on a F flute or whistle

Play a tune in a minor key on the D flute maybe, and see how it sounds....how about Cathal McConnell's?
F#m Setting
~F3 FEF c2 A | ~F3 FEF AFE | ~F3 FEF c2 d | ecA BAF AFE :|
ecA ABc d2 f | ecA ABc BAF | ecA ABc d2 B | cBA BAF AFE :|

...not a reel but very lively (listen to Lunasa playing it!!!) ... would be a good rhythmic and tonal lift after a song

Depends on you the player....what works for one player doesn't for another

Mike McGoldrick wouldn't find challenge in choosing something to follow your singer's song
but of course you're not him (and neither am I :lol: )

Boyd

....nobody said this would be easy......