Tabor Pipe

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
the_instrument_player
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by the_instrument_player »

Has anyone ever tried playing the tabor pipe? (As in, pipe and tabor?) Is it much like the whistle?
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord!
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

We have covered this topic before. Do a search and you should find a few good answers.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

the_instrument_player

Thanks!!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I've occasionally flirted with the idea of trying a tabor pipe, but with my sense of rythmn (my drummer husband refers to me as "percussionally challenged," which is a PC way of saying that I can't even clap my hands in time to the music!), not to mention my negligable coordination skills, the idea of me armed with both a pipe and a drum would be enough to send my family screaming for the hills!

Redwolf
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I recently got a narrow bore Hoover tabor pipe. It sounds wonderful. One of those psalteries they beat in place of tabor in part of France would sound great with one, methinks. I also have a Generation pipe in storage.

*Edited to add*

Looking at the links below, I found a picture of a psaltery like I was referring to. They are used as a drone:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: walden on 2002-11-04 06:34 ]</font>
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I didn't bother trying those links above, but if they didn't cover the topic, I can post instructions on how to play your existing whistle as a Tabor Pipe. Works pretty well on most, but not all whistles.
I'm in the process of making a TP for a fellow in Germany who has one of my whistles. Simply leaving off the top 2 holes, and moving the top remaining hole to the back.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Claus von Weiss

Post by Claus von Weiss »

Learning Pipe & Tabor for about a year now, I can tell you it's real fun, but the playing (not the instrument itself) is very, very different from playing the Whistle. Forget 90% of the ornamets you've learned, with Pipe & Tabor it's more the Tabor playing, that gives a lot of room for "ornametation".
But if you're into Morris Dancing, Dancing Master, Renaissance/Medieval stuff, the Pipe & Tabor could the instrument for you.
And better be warned, if you already suffer from WhOA, then PaTOA might be next - trust me, I know, what I'm talking about.
(Yes, I'm the one Paul is making a pink ivory Tabor Pipe for, he, he ...)

Cheers
Claus
the_instrument_player

Redwolf-- LOL That cracked me up! But, don't let you percussionally challenged status stop you... you can OVERCOME! =)
Brewerpaul--- do you have, in the midst of your instructions, etc, any sound clips of the pipe and tabor being played together? I've been looking but haven't really been able to find any.
the_instrument_player

Where can you find an Overton G? I keep reading things about them....
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

"sound clips of the pipe and tabor being played together"-the_instrument_player-11/3/02

edited to add a link with some tabor piper pics

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/phil.day/g ... ipe_an.htm

http://www.s-hamilton.k12.ia.us/antiqua/pipetabr.htm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mack.Hoover on 2002-11-04 00:51 ]</font>
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

(quote)Brewerpaul--- do you have, in the midst of your instructions, etc, any sound clips of the pipe and tabor being played together? I've been looking but haven't really been able to find any.

Sorry, I don't
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Claus von Weiss

Post by Claus von Weiss »

You can hear us using Pipe & Tabor among other instruments playing "Somerset Wassail": http://www.morris-open.de/hoerproben.html

Cheers
Claus
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Claus,
Great website and wonderful songs (and tunes)!

Mack

edited before being caught calling tunes songs and vice versa

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mack.Hoover on 2002-11-04 11:42 ]</font>
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

I own two cheapie tabor pipes. I have a Generation D (nickel with blue top) and a non-tuneable Susato (in a lovely burgundy color, wish I could get a whistle in that color). I am trying to learn from the Susato Tabor Pipe Primer. I can play one tune, now.

I think it is well worth trying for anyone who has an interest. But don't buy a fancy pipe until you have tried it for a while with a cheap one. Same as with whistles.

While I am not up to offering a real review of either pipe, I like the Generation a bit better because it is slimmer and more comfortable to hold. I also like the overtone transitions a little better. The Susato is a bit more even, volume-wise and louder overall. If I were playing for an outdoor dance, I would probably use the Susato, just for the volume. Indoors, I would stick with the Gen.

I don't have a tabor, yet. Gotta add that soon so I don't handicap myself in what is really a two-part instrument.

-Patrick