Modes in ITM

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
doublebucklemonk
antispam: No

Re: Modes in ITM

Post by doublebucklemonk »

pancelticpiper wrote:What mode would THAT be?? (The tonic starting on the sharp 7th of a Major scale.)
It would be C# Locrian (C#, D, E, F#, G, A, B, C#)
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Just because a piece of music has an accidental in it does not mean that key signature reckoning is useless. Ditto for modes. These categories are convenient tools, rather than attempts to limit the composition.

Whether we know the names of the 7 diatonic modes of the European plainchant tradition or the umpteen modes of the Arabic or Indic or other traditions does not stop our hearing and reckoning of things. Look at the statement, "This tune has two tonal centres". That very conclusion results from recognising that the tune operates with two different root or focal notes (from within the same group of notes) and the relationship of the other same notes to those root notes gives rise to different interval progressions (and therefore a different sensation). That is a fundamentally modal hearing.

Whether naming or intellectualising about what we naturally hear will be useful for us will depend upon the individual and their musical situation. If modes are confusing for you and you cannot see their relevance for what you are doing, then AT THIS POINT of your life DON'T CONCERN yourself with it. When (or IF) it ever becomes relevant for your development or appreciation, then you will be in the right space to research and receive what the relative system offers. Until then, be content with the relative system you are comfortable with.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I do not agree that a tune which fleetingly, by dint of the penultimate quaver in the final bar of its A and B sections, has thereby become a tune with two tonal centres. Those C sharps in Gillan's Apples contribute significantly to the feel of the tune but they do very little functionally in terms of changing tonality. Had they cropped up in the middle of the tune it would possibly have been different, but they are simply the first note of a two-note cadence that lends an "unexpected" flavour to the tune. I'll call that the Lydian effect if you like. And I'm more than happy to concern myself with it AT THIS POINT of my life, thanks, as I enjoy both a little lateral thinking and a bit of whimsy.

Here's an example of the tune being played without the C sharps at the end. Not my way I think (apologies to the blokes if they read this), as I feel the tune has lost something, but your kilometrage may be at odds.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Please don't get defensive with me if you are because my comment was a GENERAL one not aimed at you. I didn't actually say I agree or not that there are two tonal centres in the piece you are discussing. I am merely saying that cognitions of tonal centres are modal cognitions independent of whether one is enlightened/burdened by theoretical nomenclature.

And also, I am not suggesting that we all hear something in the same way, although if we play something according to a mainstream interpretation in a tradition, we are hoping that it will be heard in a certain way.

I hear Gillan's Apples differently to you and others in this topic.
When and if the dogmatic and absolutist macho bun fighting dies down I might venture to share what I hear, a hearing informed by over 30 years listening to ITM.
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

I'm not getting defensive, I'm merely not necessarily agreeing with you. You were pontificating there ever so slightly I thought. I won't show off about how long I've been listening to ITM but it's longer than you! :lol:

talasiga

Post by talasiga »

no Steve, I am not saying I am better than you.
Thats my way of suggesting I do not come to this topic lightly
but with appreciation of ITM over a period of time.
It wasn't aimed at you as a put down.

In any case 30+ is not more than 30+.
:D
You should know that as person with maths/science background.
:P
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Modulation (music):
In music, modulation is most commonly the act or process of changing from one key (tonic, or tonal center) to another. This may or may not be accompanied by a change in key signature. Modulations articulate or create the structure or form of many pieces, as well as add interest. Treatment of a chord as the tonic for less than a phrase is considered tonicization
This is what happens in the last bars of both parts of Gillan's Apples, by adding the C# before the ending D. The tune changes from G major to D major in these bars, and the C# is the leading note (sharp seventh of the D Ionian (major) mode) to lead to the D (as Ben previously already said), not a sharp fourth of the G lydian mode.

This makes the last bars more interesting, leaving the tune suspended on the fifth, and emphasizing the expectancy to return to the proper key of G major.

But I speculate that this is a more modern evolution of the tune. Many old Irish tunes are ending in three repeated full notes, and Gillan's Apples may not have been different in this. Isn't it a modern phenomena to break up these repeated ending notes in order to make those endings more interesting?

Also many Irish tunes (like Banish Misfortune) are changing in places between using a Cnat and a C#. Those modulations make them really interesting. I think there is no harm in calling that modulations, or shift of tonal center, and I see no contradiction in either. For harmonisations one need to be aware of these.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

hans wrote:......
Here for comparison thesessionorg's version of it, as pointed out by Steve:
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/1855
(Ben, I referred previously to tune 1854, not 1855)

Code: Select all

T: Gillan's Apples
M: 6/8
R: jig
K: Gmaj
g3 B2A | GAG GBd | efe edB | dBA A2 D |
GBA G2D | GBd g2 a | bag fge | ed^c d2:|
faa faa | faa agf | gbb gbb | gbb bag |
faa faa | faa aga | bag fge | ed^c d2:|
Just a few small changes, and no C# at the part endings.
Those C#s in thesessionorg's version are IMO not pivotal at all, but are just a temporary change to D major in the bar, same function as in Cronin's, what I called a "dramatic devise", a temporary (1 bar) key shift.

I think to hear some real "Lydian flavour", try on a D whistle a common tune in G major, which uses all seven notes (not a gapped scale), and firmly rests on G, but play all C naturals as C sharps.

Hans, there are no C nats here. Only C# s.
All the notes in it in order from D spell D major which is the key signature.
The same notes in order from G spell G Lydian Mode (ie the Lydian you get in D key sig)and the person who describes the piece as a whole as G major is in fact emphasising a G tonal centre. G tonal centre in a D major series spells a Lydian effect.

And you cannot argue modal shift via the same modes in different keys when there is no shift in the notes. In this example the notes are D E F# G A B C#. Where is the C to complete a G major run of notes?
The G major chord here supports a G Lydian tonic. Major chords do not exclusively flag Ionian.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

hans wrote:But I speculate that this is a more modern evolution of the tune. Many old Irish tunes are ending in three repeated full notes, and Gillan's Apples may not have been different in this. Isn't it a modern phenomena to break up these repeated ending notes in order to make those endings more interesting?
Good point Hans. In many tunes - e.g. Donnybrook Fair, Willie Coleman's jig - I prefer the three repeated notes without dipping down to the 7th, doing which generally makes them less interesting to me. Not sure why it never occurred to me to do the same with the Ds at the end of Gillan's Apples, maybe I will now!

Assuming C#s this setting of the tune, though (after all the transcription came from such an authoritative source :) ), I think to assert that the tune is in G lydian on the basis of these passing notes is, well, daft. (Sorry Steve and Talasiga.) If anyone can point us to a recording of a tune that really is in the lydian mode, I'm quite sure it will have a tonal character totally different from that of this little jig.
Also many Irish tunes (like Banish Misfortune) are changing in places between using a Cnat and a C#. Those modulations make them really interesting. I think there is no harm in calling that modulations, or shift of tonal center, and I see no contradiction in either. For harmonisations one need to be aware of these.
I would argue that the best harmonization for that kind of tune is a big fat drone of D. (Of course that would mean tinkering with the tuning of other notes in the scale too.)

Another early Tommy Peoples recording provides an interesting treatment of one of these tunes, The Gander at the Pratie Hole. Rather than alternating C#s and Cnats, he consistently plays C# - but a C# that is a shade flat of ET. This gives a lovely taste to the tune and set me off speculating about whether these modulations could be avoided in many tunes (and might have been in some mythical past golden age) by substituting a C (or F) "supernatural" for all occurrences.

But that is to ignore the role of pipers, and most of these tunes are piping tunes, who love to exploit the different timbre of all the shades of C they can get, including a glorious wide-open C natural. Anyway it's not what is done today, so my speculation can remain as an academic footnote. Which is what most of the latter part of thread deserves to be IMO.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

StevieJ wrote:If anyone can point us to a recording of a tune that really is in the lydian mode, I'm quite sure it will have a tonal character totally different from that of this little jig.
Yep. One easy way to test this is to take a tune that you hear as solidly in G major, maybe with a clear I-IV-V implied harmonic structure, and some prominent use of the 4th scale degree on strong beats, not just a passing tone. Then play through it while consistently raising the 4th - i.e., play all C#'s in a G tune, or all G#'s in a D tune. That's what Lydian mode sounds like (or would sound like) in ITM.

Some example tunes might be: Jim Ward's Jig, The Irish Washerwoman, Easy Club Reel (in G), Sheehan's Reel

Think about what chord scale(s) you would use to harmonize it. There's no more perfect 4th degree for a IV-V cadence, or to act as a dominant 7th in a V chord. Would you play or hear a C# Major chord under the C#'s in G, or maybe a C# diminished by rotating the major chord scale? Or maybe a II chord, since the 2-chord is naturally a major chord in Lydian (i.e., A major in G Lydian). Hmmm ... :really:

I'd argue that there are NO common tunes in the the ITM dance repertoire that sound or behave remotely like what you get by doing the "Lydian transform" described in the 1st paragraph above. Which means that any raised 4ths you encounter do not signal Lydian mode, but are either 1) passing tones, or 2) imply a momentary shift of tonality out of the natural mode or scale of the tune.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

But the whole essence of Irish tunes is in the, er, tunes, not in any harmonic structure, implicit or explicit. Those are just just add-ons that sound hunkydory to us because we're conditioned by nearly all the music we listen to to expect harmony. Your dismissal of the C sharps as mere passing tones would be more convincing (a) were there any C naturals in the tune, (b) were those C sharps not at very pivotal points in the tune. I provided an example of the tune played with just straight Ds at the ends instead of D/C#/D and I thought it detracted quite a lot.

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

SteveShaw wrote:But the whole essence of Irish tunes is in the, er, tunes, not in any harmonic structure, implicit or explicit. Those are just just add-ons that sound hunkydory to us because we're conditioned by nearly all the music we listen to to expect harmony.
I understand what you're saying, Steve, and appreciate your POV, but I can't agree. Just because the tunes are monophonic doesn't mean they're aharmonic. They're not just strings of notes (and are arguably homophonic). Implied harmonies are critically important in ITM. And harmonic structure doesn't have to be "vertical" (i.e. polyphonic). As one blatantly obvious example, take any of the common hornpipes that feature long sequences of what sound to all the world like arpeggios. To deny that their melodic structure and melodic intervals are not driven partly by an underlying (and implied) harmonic "deep structure" would seem pretty perverse to me. It's not just a contemporary perceptual artifact from saturation listening to pop music.

And addressing the lack of C-nats in something like "Apples" is easy. No one's going to tell me what steenkin' notes to play when I start to explore and create variant settings of a tune. :-) And I'd argue that it's the internalized underlying harmonic structure in the ear and mind of the player that constrains the improvisational choices which end up sounding "right". (Along with, of course, other stylistic constraints such as melodic interval size, and phrasal structure.)

So here's a variation of "Apples" I might decide to play in a moment of irrational exuberance:

[K:G]g3 BcA|GAG Bcd|efe edc|dcB A2B|

Now I don't think anyone would fail to recognize the basic identity of this half-part in the context of a variant setting. I've just chosen to explicitly play the missing 4th degrees from the gapped scale of the "standard" melody.

But now raise those C-nats to C-sharps. If that sounds right, then I'd say yes, we have ourselves a Lydian melody here. But to my ear it sounds simply dreadful. Which means that any C-sharps that do occur in the tune are functioning not to define the 4th degree of the prevailing mode, but in some other capacity. Namely, in "Apples", the C-sharp is a lower chromatic neighboring tone (and leading tone) to the D that clearly dominates the last 6 beats of the A-part.

If you want to hear that as a momentary outburst of Lydian tonality (over, say, an imagined G drone) ... I'd say that's fair enough. But not a defining characteristic of the entire tune.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Nah, you don't understand what I'm saying. [EDITED TO ADD because I didn't make myself very clear]. Essence means essence and does not exclude other elements. I was refuting your references to chords, with which your previous post was replete.

talasiga

Post by talasiga »

I enjoyed reading MT Guru's posts which is unusual for me. I liked the way he explained complex, multilayered issues simply and in a way relevant to my hearing of ITM.

I do not hear Gillan's Apples as Lydian but I have not been able to see the antagonists to Steve Shaw providing a cogent explanation why it isn't on the basis of info. in the ABC notation which (confusingly) describes the key of a piece of music with D E F# G A B C# as "K: G maj". In trying to explain that one would need to propose that it is identifying the piece by toniczation via G major chord which is how I rationalised that. I am not saying I agree with it.

I think it is wrong, confusing and prejudicial to identify traditional melodies by what chord/s one may arbitrarily apply to them. Melodies can simply be identified either in the modern way by stating the key signature (which tells you the notes, or at least, the notes in most of their incidence) OR the olden way by nominating the mode (which tells you the "evocative scale" for the piece from out of the technical or key signaure scale of notes).

TBC
talasiga

CONTINUED

Post by talasiga »

for those who don't know - TBC means to be continued
(for some reason my PC starts playing tricks with long posts - anti intellectual gremlins)
talasiga wrote:......
I think it is wrong, confusing and prejudicial to identify traditional melodies by what chord/s one may arbitrarily apply to them. Melodies can simply be identified either in the modern way by stating the key signature (which tells you the notes, or at least, the notes in most of their incidence) OR the olden way by nominating the mode (which tells you the "evocative scale" for the piece from out of the technical or key signaure scale of notes).

TBC
To settle a mode and emphasise it you need
1. to ID the last note of the melody
2. have a drone at hand
3. know the olden ethos of the tradition in which the melody occurs

TBC