Modes in ITM

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
talasiga
antispam: No

Continued

Post by talasiga »

In Gillan's Apples we need to sort out out whether the D or the g is the last note.
If you put a G drone to the whole thing while you play it (in the olden modal manner)
you will (try it and see) get a Lydian feel and ending the melody at the D will just sound like a movement ending on the Lydian's perfect 5th. The drone will make all the intervals sound according Lydian.

This is not consistent with Irish Tradition. It is foreign to it. Maybe it goes back to a time when Roman Christian plainchant tradition disowned Lydian because of its devlish augmented (unperfect) 4th. Whatever! its not part of the ETHOS of Irish trad.

THEREFORE you D drone the piece and of course you get trusty ol D Ionian which is perfectly at ease with ITM ethos and there you have it.
Ending the piece with a G maj chord in accompaniment is in harmony with D because the D is the perfect 5th in G triad.

TBC
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
talasiga

Re: Modes in ITM

Post by talasiga »

If you accompany the end of the melody with a G chord you are potentially flagging
1. movement back to the first and very long note at the start of the piece.
2. movement to another tune in the set in G Ionian or a relative mode or gapped mode.

With "2", this, I speculate, would be likely to be a tune beginning with D, G or B.

This is yet another reason why assessing tunes on the basis of chord accompaniment is so arbitrary and therefore hardly core criteria.
fiddlerwill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

Ahh Gentlemen, Surely this tune called here; Gillians Apples, is in D. Major? It ends on the Chord D, it contains the Chord A major and G major.
Jim Wards is also D major. What on earth makes anyone think it is in anything but D?
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Yes, if you see the ABC notation someone descibed the key as G major and people heard the Emperor's C thereafter! :lol:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

talasiga wrote:Yes, if you see the ABC notation someone descibed the key as G major and people heard the Emperor's C thereafter! :lol:
So my variant above with C-sharps sounds right? :o

A good feint, but backwards. :wink: Labeling it Key of X doesn't determine tonality; it reflects perceived tonality. And those big honking G major melodic triads in the A part do count (though they alone don't disambiguate Major from Lydian).
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

yes, musical imperialism wants everything expressed as black and white, as absolutes.
The colonised stress the relatives and there are usually heaps of them.
I am in the middle - absolute relatives.

Firstly MT, your "variation" is hardly traditional. You wouldn't do that playing along with someone else in a session, not without rehearsal. Maybe, but you'd be fluking it to fit in. Variations in this tradition in session is in the rhythmic ornamentation, and notes in the melody are varied by dropping them and certain ones that are already there being lengthened and not by addendum. Isn't that right? Hmm

Secondly, allowing your original variation with the natural C, that changes the tract we are using to exercise modal/key signautre analysis. And if we then analyse (oops, I just spelt that analise - freudian slip :) ) the tract with your variation we can then rightly talk of modulation because the piece is originally in D key signature and continues with that in section and you have introduced a modulation by changing the notes (in this case C# to C).

Thirdly, let us look at your attempted Trojan Horse variation with C#. Does it sound right?
That is a question calling in relative value judgement. Why wouldn't C# sound right (if musically used) in a tune which is in the key of D and already has C# in it?

TBC
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

CONTINUED

W1
If C# sounds "wrong" it is because
1) you hear (or imagine) a G major chord accompanying that tract of the tune, AND
2) your musical acculturation associates G Major chord with the Ionian feeling.

C# will sound correct in, at least, these 2 situations (R1 and R2)
R1
C# sounds "right" because
1) you hear (or imagine) a G major chord accompanying that tract of the tune, AND
2) your musical acculturation allows you to hear other possible modes comprehended by the chord, namely Lydian, Mixolydian (in the limits of ITM)

R2
C# sounds "right" because
1) you hear (or imagine) a D drone (OR no accompaniment at all, including chordal) in the whole piece, AND
2) you hear the C# as just one of the club of notes that naturally occur in the diatonic scale of D major.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

As Breatnach and every other authority on ITM have stated, and in accordance with the underlying theory - of all music, but specifically of that to do with Church modes, which is what ITM tunes are based on ... [takes breath] ... what happens to be the last note of any tune is completely irrelevant in determining the mode (or key) the tune is in. There is a note called a "final" in modal music. The word "final", however, confusing though it may be, does not imply the last note of a particular tune.

[If asked to find the reference in Breatnach, someone else provided it a long time ago on this site, I remember reading it in his and Henebry's writings, and I just can't be bothered to find it, before I'm asked. But since the concept is blindingly obvious, I don't really feel the need.]
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

... oh, and MTGuru - I think you were expressing what I was trying to express before - only a helluva lot better than me! The tune we're talking about, in other words, put in short, is in G major. Not particularly modal. Not lydian.

[Fiddlerwill - if you look back to near the start of the thread, you'll see that we started off being confused between two different tunes. Just check that you haven't suffered the same fate we did at the start and got the 'wrong' Gillan's Apples. :) }
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I'd also agree with MTGuru (assuming I've read him right) that there aren't any lydian tunes - properly speaking - in ITM. Lydia doesn't get a look in at ITM - she's more of an intellectual, ivory-tower kind of girl.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

She seems to have flings with Jaz and Roc.

What about her sister Phrygia?
Has she visited Ireland? Or Scotland?
I'd like to meet her.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

benhall.1 wrote:I'd also agree with MTGuru (assuming I've read him right) that there aren't any lydian tunes
Well, I'd never say never ... I think you could regard the ambiguous C/C# (so-called C supernatural) in G tunes as a "Lydian tendency" - though motivated, I think, as can happen, as much by the physical mechanics of the wind instruments as by purely modal aesthetics.

Or take a hypothetical reel (which I just made up):

[K:GLyd]G2Bc dGBc|dedB GABd|cA~A2 EA~A2|cdef gedB| etc.

I can imagine a tune like this, with an implied major II functioning as the dominant. But this sort of Lydian harmonic (and corresponding melodic) scheme is hardly common in the ITM I'm familiar with. And gapped major tunes with a more usual implied I-(IV)-V are hard to fit into a Procrustean bed of Lydian (the IV being most problematic).

hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

MTGuru wrote:Or take a hypothetical reel (which I just made up):

[K:GLyd]G2Bc dGBc|dedB GABd|cA~A2 EA~A2|cdef gedB| etc.

I can imagine a tune like this, with an implied major II functioning as the dominant. But this sort of Lydian harmonic (and corresponding melodic) scheme is hardly common in the ITM I'm familiar with.
And that dominant major II screems out to become the tonal center of the whole tune, i.e. to become entirely Mixolydian (Amix instead of Glyd).

BTW does abc software recognise Glyd?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Just adding: Offhand, the only truly Lydian bit I can remember in the wild is in a setting of The Jolly Seven played by Martin Hayes a few years ago at the Plough and Stars in San Francisco. My transcription:

X:1
T:Jolly Seven, The
S:Martin Hayes
Z:MTGuru
M:C|
K:A
cd|efed cAAB|cded cAAc|efed cdef|gfge dBcd|
efed cAAB|cAeA cAAc|efed cdef|gfge dBGB|]
[K:CLyd]~c2ec gcec|~c2ec dBGB|~c2ec gcea|afge dBGB|
~c2ec gcec|~c2ec dBGB|cdef ~g2fg|afge d2|]

To my ear, the repeated F#'s in the B part give it a strong and deliberate Lydian feel, and really emphasize that the entire tonal center of the B part has shifted.

benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I'm not sure Phrygia would be interested, Hans. :wink: Doria's the friendliest. Aeolia is a bit of an airhead, and Locria is just plain scary.