seeking a wepons-grade slow air

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
chris_coreline
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

seeking a wepons-grade slow air

Post by chris_coreline »

its air/aire learning time.
i need a recomendation for a proper mournfull air which can caus people to burst into tears at a range of 20ft or less, the kind of thing i could play on a flute on a foggy morning beneath my lovers window before embarking on a necissary but ephemeral quest for personal salvation on foot.

I could also do with tips on how to learn the thing, as they are to arbatry for my usual tune learning technique, there lyrics are generally in Irish and i have a pritty poor memory normally anyway.
My idea is to brainwash myself into knowing them by puting recordings of them on loop until the last threds of my sanity snap, once i can sing them in my head im pritty sure i can play them on a flute/whistle/pipes/hollowed out PC case.

PS.
while i have your attention and while i am on the subject of aires/airs theres a horselips song on happy to meet sorry to part which has lrics starting thus 'In early spring, when small boys sing' Its an englisisation of an irish tune from the north east - (i appologise for butchering ABC notation but its my first time) somthing like this: E2|A2BC|A2E|A2FA|.. and somthing involving naturals. It was also on transatlantic sessions last series, i actualy thing Cara Dillon sung it but my memory is hazey.
...can anyone tell me its real name?
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: seeking a wepons-grade slow air

Post by plunk111 »

Cape Clear is my current favorite slow air and I've played it in a cemetery, so it's "dead-person approved"!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The Wounded Hussar's a good 'un.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

I can't help you with a tune, but here's something that might help you memorize it:

When I memorize GHB piobaireachd, which has a somewhat free time and can be a bit arbitrary, I like to put it on a CD in my car, and finger along on the steering wheel.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

chris_coreline wrote:i need a recomendation for a proper mournfull air which can caus people to burst into tears at a range of 20ft or less, the kind of thing i could play on a flute on a foggy morning beneath my lovers window before embarking on a necissary but ephemeral quest for personal salvation on foot.
Judging by the above I'm betting you're the man for the job. :thumbsup:

As to the learning process, I frequently do what highland-piper does, play the piece over and over while I drive or while I'm actively engaged on the computer. I don't practice fingering while I listen thusly, though, as I don't multitask well and so have to drive first and listen second. This makes it mainly a passive listening approach which has for me the added benefit (as I count it) that since I'm multitasking at the driving/'putering/listening thing, the hearing memory is a bit filtered and so I catch the tune by osmosis rather than just copying it, increasing the odds for a more personal take. If I can refer particularly to at least one sung version, it's to the best: I'm a bit loath to publicly play airs that I haven't heard as sung.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chris_coreline

Post by chris_coreline »

thanks guys! i have spent the night with Cape Clear on loop, about 2% lernt, flatmates alredy slightly frayed.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

chris_coreline wrote:theres a horselips song on happy to meet sorry to part which has lrics starting thus 'In early spring, when small boys sing' ...can anyone tell me its real name?
Paddy's Green Shamrock Shore. Called simply The Shamrock Shore on the album - but that title is usually reserved for a different tune entirely ("You brave young sons of Erin's isle ..."), as performed by Paul Brady, Karan Casey et al.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUopoQkrn4w

Learn the base tune. Let the ornamentation develop naturally.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
chris_coreline

Post by chris_coreline »

MTGuru wrote:
chris_coreline wrote:theres a horselips song on happy to meet sorry to part which has lrics starting thus 'In early spring, when small boys sing' ...can anyone tell me its real name?
Paddy's Green Shamrock Shore. Called simply The Shamrock Shore on the album - but that title is usually reserved for a different tune entirely ("You brave young sons of Erin's isle ..."), as performed by Paul Brady, Karan Casey et al.
Oh Lawd, your right.
that turns up in my flatmates book as 'paddys green shamrock shore' and is well and truley on the household 'title too corney' list, i didnt even check the music, eugh.
chris_coreline

Post by chris_coreline »

dfernandez77 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUopoQkrn4w

Learn the base tune. Let the ornamentation develop naturally.
this is a beautiful beautiful performance, but the title is unpronouncable and would leed to aquard moments at performance:
audience: that was lovley, what was it called?
me: ohhh that one - that was Davey buttercup's spatula jig
audience: no... what was it actually called
me: ermm... oh i remember, it was *cough* Amran L'onion a Ballyhalligh *cough*
audience: oh... ok, im just popping out to grab a wepon of some kind so i can clove your face in twain for such orrible pronounciation.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

chris_coreline wrote:the title is unpronouncable and would leed to aquard moments at performance:
Amhrán Iníon A' Bhaoghailligh = The Song of the Onion Bagel. That's easy enough. It's a sad lament, about a girl who goes to the deli to buy an onion bagel, and all they have left are poppy seed. "Oh where is the bagel, my cream cheese to spread" etc.

It's really Song of Boyle's Daughter, or Ms Boyle's Song. There's a nice thread with lyrics, translation, and pronunciation of the title (OW-rahn INYEE-un a VWEE-al-ee):

http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/tr ... 13695.html

Our own Redwolf is a moderator of that board, if you have questions. :-)
chris_coreline wrote:Oh Lawd, your right.
that turns up in my flatmates book as 'paddys green shamrock shore' and is well and truley on the household 'title too corney' list, i didnt even check the music, eugh.
Chris, listen to Paul Brady's version, and you won't think ill of it. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2bTczkYv0U
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
chris_coreline

Post by chris_coreline »

MTGuru wrote: Chris, listen to Paul Brady's version, and you won't think ill of it. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2bTczkYv0U
ouch, lovley.
i suppose i should make some sort of effort to reclaim the kitch irish national steriotypes... I need an excuse to learn to supress the gag reflex when i walk past a souvineare stall.
chris_coreline

Post by chris_coreline »

plunk111 wrote:Cape Clear is my current favorite slow air and I've played it in a cemetery, so it's "dead-person approved"!

Pat
thanks for this, i think i have it, ill do a make-shift recording and put it up here later and make shure what im playing is what people are expecting... slow aires seem to be vectoral - you have a note, and a note you need to be at, and you get there by some dark combination of a remembered tune and improvised orniments... the result is for me as a newcommer to the tradition, the border between the tune and random noodling is quite difficult to discern, but hopefully ill have it nailed.

Arin Island a Bronagh is next.... ops sorry, i mean 'Amhrán Iníon A' Bhaoghailligh'
chris_coreline

Post by chris_coreline »

heres the recording, comments, critisism and outright slander more then welcome
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

highland-piper wrote:I can't help you with a tune, but here's something that might help you memorize it:

When I memorize GHB piobaireachd, which has a somewhat free time and can be a bit arbitrary, I like to put it on a CD in my car, and finger along on the steering wheel.
What a lovely and absolutely deadly, for you and others, way of driving. :lol:
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din