There Were Roses

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dragon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dragon »

Hello,

The band "Woods Tea" has a great song on their live album "Woods Tea Live" called There Were Roses. Its very sad, if you have heard the song, but does anyone know if there is sheet music for the whistle. I had contaced the band about 2 years ago, and all they had was the lyrics.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Learn it by ear! It's a fairly slow song.

:smile:
Michael Sullivan

Post by Michael Sullivan »

I never liked that song. Something about it has always seemed a little off in the versions I've heard.
Paul Anderson

Post by Paul Anderson »

The best version I've heard is the original. It was written and sung by Tommy Sands from Rostrevor, Co. Down. Woods Tea Company turn it into a vaudeville piece.
bassnwhistle

Post by bassnwhistle »

There's another, very good, version by an Irish Christian band called "The Crossing". It's on their "Dancing at the Crossroads" CD. No whistle part per se, but a nice fiddle bit that could be nicked.
The first track on the CD "Pawky Adam Glen/ O'Neill's march, is a couplet (this is, after all, folk music) that features decent high and low whistle stuff as well as good piping.
Ian
The best thing about Highland Pipes is that the players can't sing at you.