Using TIN CAN to make Regulator reeds

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Johnniez

Using TIN CAN to make Regulator reeds

Post by Johnniez »

Hi

I was going through Dave Hagerty's book on reed making. He has a section in there called A Sequence for Making of Drinks Can Regulator Reed Heads

I was wondering if anyone on here can tell me the results of such a reed? What the think of the tone volume etc that they project? And also if they know of any example audio files on internet that I could here them?

On a sidenote, I find Dave's book absolutely inspiring.. Very greatly done.

Thanks
Johnnie
Last edited by Johnniez on Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every Day Is A Great Day
Some Are Just Better Than Others
billh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Using TIN CAN to make Reg reeds

Post by billh »

Johnniez wrote:Hi

I was going through Dave Hagerty's book on reed making. He has a section in there called A Sequence for Making of Drinks Can Reed Heads

I was wondering if anyone on here can tell me the results of such a reed? What the think of the tone volume etc that they project? And also if they know of any example audio files on internet that I could here them?

On a sidenote, I find Dave's book absolutely inspiring.. Very greatly done.

Thanks
Johnnie
Hi Johnnie

The reeds in question were regulator reeds - I've seen them made and heard a few, they sound fine for regs - brighter IMO than plastic, not unlike the bronze regulator reeds which some K&Q sets have. The drinks cans were *NOT* aluminum cans - which are not suitable. Andreas Rogge used to make them from German drink cans, which at the time were still made from thin steel. The resulting steel "shim" material had just the right curvature, stiffness, etc. I heard reports of one that played into the second octave OK as a chanter reed, but tone and behavior were reportedly not that nice.

I would not really recommend this to a novice reed maker, as they can be quite fussy to make, difficult to get leak-free, and fragile.

best regards,

Bill