Age-old question: Chieftain or Goldie?...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mick Down Under
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Age-old question: Chieftain or Goldie?...

Post by Mick Down Under »

hoopy mike wrote:If you had to fight a duel with a whistle, which whistle would you choose?
:poke:

From the two choices of Chieftain and Goldie, I'd choose a Chieftain...I wouldn't give a sh*t about wrecking one of those! Goldie is far too nice to use as a weapon!

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

It's all opinion - I still think it's better to try before buy. Not always possible, but there is a lot on youtube these days and I recommend folks get to folk festivals often as possible - the players are great and these instruments show up on stages from time to time. It all helps.
Last edited by Mitch on Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
wizzywig

Post by wizzywig »

It seems strange to compare a mass production whistle to a personalized custom made whistle.
It may be worth comparing a Kerry Pro low D to a Goldie low D, this would make more sense as they are both based on the Overton design and both hand made.
wiz
outdoorwhistler
Tell us something.: your forum is about celtic and irish music, irish flutes, whistles, etc .
I am here because I too am a huge fan of celtic music.

Post by outdoorwhistler »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Hello guys Im a new comer. I wanted to give an update after 12 years of silence in this group. I have had both Goldie low D and Chieftain (v5) low D for a while and I think I can give a fair opinion on both.

Goldie is generally cleaner
The second octave needs less air in goldie and therefore reaching to second octave is easier.

But, I love the airyness in Chieftain (imo it has more wisdom in it for a folk instrument).
also, Chieftain needs less air pressure (in the firt octave this time).
besides, Goldie getd moisture very fast whereas this isnt the problem in Chieftain.

Also, I need to warm up the Goldie once in a while unless it sounds squeaky. And this isnt a problem in Chieftain.
Ragards,
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

There are plenty of whistle reviews for those models, on YouTube. Most reviewers will gladly respond to questions with a profuse commentary.
Depends on what you want for range of tone and expression, what musical situations, cost, playability, wind demands, etc.
You're already at a point where both brands are high quality construction and reliable playability for what they offer.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

hoopy mike wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:33 am If you had to fight a duel with a whistle, which whistle would you choose?
I'm a peacenik, so I'd use a Howitzer Low C with a piper's shillelagh attachment, and play in Strafe mode.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

hoopy mike wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:33 am If you had to fight a duel with a whistle, which whistle would you choose?
A Chieftain Gold hands-down!

Solid brass, too heavy to play for long, but peerless as a "blunt instrument" in a fight!
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

JSCWhistler wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:33 pm Recently while at a festival, I played multiple Chieftain whistles at the Hobgoblin booth for something like around an hour straight...
I'm envious, I've never had a chance to play a goodly number of Chieftains for an extended period like that.

I did try several Chieftains at a shop in Glasgow (by St George's Cross, I don't remember the name) and at Hobgoblin in London, but only briefly.
JSCWhistler wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:33 pm
My question...which do most of you prefer: The Chieftain/Kerry, or Colin Goldie?
For me it was never a binary thing like that.

Around 2006 I decided to end 30 years of Irish flute playing and switch to Low D Whistle.

Selling off four or five flutes raised enough money to fund a massive Low D Whistle buying spree, and I borrowed, traded, or bought 30 or so Low D's to evaluate.

I was struck initially by all the things Low D whistles couldn't do (compared to flute) but soon concentrated on all the things they could do.

Fact is, there's no perfect Low D Whistle! All manifest a series of compromises made by the makers.

For a time I was preferring the Burke, then for a time the MK, but eventually settled on the Colin Goldie as being the best bundle of compromises.

There are a few different Low D's that each do one specific thing a tad better than the Goldie; but in each case this benefit is cancelled out by some flaw, that whistle's Achilles' Heel. On the other hand the Goldie has no such flaw, and is excellent at everything.

Currently I have two Goldie heads I can switch on my Goldie Low D body, one "medium blower" and one "soft/easy blower", and both are superb.

If I had only ever played one or the other I would be prefectly happy. Switching back and forth is actually a joy due to being able to experience subtle differences.

Currently I have Goldies in Low C, Low D, and Mezzo F and all are great. I've owned several F's over the years and the Goldie is by far the best.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I've really wanted to try a Goldie but every time I see one used for a good price its already sold haha. A month or 2 back I saw a Goldie low D for $250 "posted 13 minutes ago" and I was still too late haha. Some day maybe I'll get lucky. I could put a WTB but I have a MK and Reyburn so I dont exactly need another Low D. but if I see one used I have to take the chance haha. I jumped around trying several makers out aswell (although they were other keys not low d's, mostly low f's) and MK have definitely been the best to me. I'm worried I'll have moisture issues with Goldies, because I'm a clogging machine. Which would probobly make MK my closest to perfect whistle that I know of. But, until I try a Goldie I wont know.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

I started out playing low whistles on a Chieftain OS back in 2003, had a Kerry Pro for awhile before discovering Colin Goldie's whistles, though a couple of years ago got somewhat interested in the Chieftain Custom model. After going through several Goldie tenor Ds with different specs (backpressure, hole size, etc), I finally settled on a lovely NB (narrow bore) model, which Colin believes was originally intended for John McSherry! I also have a Hammy Hamilton low D, though mostly play flute these days.
Narzog wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:26 pm I've really wanted to try a Goldie but every time I see one used for a good price its already sold haha. A month or 2 back I saw a Goldie low D for $250 "posted 13 minutes ago" and I was still too late haha. Some day maybe I'll get lucky.
Well, if you really want a Goldie without waiting, Big Whistle carries new Goldies (albeit at a steep price), and there may be shops in Europe that do as well. Of course, the best way to become the owner of a Goldie whistle is to order one directly from Colin himself.
iain beag
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Post by iain beag »

For those wanting a Goldie Low D, here's one on Ebay uk.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284791545996 ... ition=3000

I have no interest or connection with the sale.

Iain
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I'm trying to get a good deal used so that if I end up not liking it as much as my MK I can re sell it for the price I bought it and not loose to much money. Its hard to imagine not loving the Goldie with all I've heard about them. But I'm pretty picky haha. And my Thunderbird F gave me bad clogging even with toothpaste, so I'm too worried about the Goldie doing the same thing to pay anything above used.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Narzog wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:26 pm I'm worried I'll have moisture issues with Goldies, because I'm a clogging machine.
Me too. I'm what's known as, in the Highland piping world, a "wet blower".

I can clog any Overton-style whistle in a few seconds.

People say "you just have to warm up the whistle" but I've picked up whistles nearly too hot to hold- been sitting in my car- and they still clog within seconds.

So any of those whistles (original Overtons, or Goldies, or Chieftains) were unplayable for me until I learned about the toothpaste & dishwater trick on these very pages.

I've found that with my Goldies a treatment lasts a year or more. Small price to pay for a great-playing whistle.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Narzog

Post by Narzog »

pancelticpiper wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:40 am Me too. I'm what's known as, in the Highland piping world, a "wet blower".

I can clog any Overton-style whistle in a few seconds.

People say "you just have to warm up the whistle" but I've picked up whistles nearly too hot to hold- been sitting in my car- and they still clog within seconds.

So any of those whistles (original Overtons, or Goldies, or Chieftains) were unplayable for me until I learned about the toothpaste & dishwater trick on these very pages.

I've found that with my Goldies a treatment lasts a year or more. Small price to pay for a great-playing whistle.
Yes the toothpase trick works wonders. It didnt work on my thunderbird completely tho. It helped but I still had some issues. Although, the thunderbird had a not smooth sand blasted bevel. Which I feel like just makes moisture want to stick on it, and was most of the issue. So if a Goldie has a smooth bevel which I'm assuming it does, it should work better.