CDs of Low F whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-11-24 07:51, Loren wrote:
On 2002-11-24 07:34, blackhawk wrote:
Seems like I recall that Brendan Ring played a low F on his CD, too, didn't he?
The liner notes don't list specific whistle keys, just that he's playing a mix of Bernard Overton and Colin Goldie whistles. But I bet you're right, probably some Low F on that wonderful CD. I expect Brendan or Colin will chime in regarding whistle keys on the recording.

Loren
I hadn't listened to that CD in a long time and then you mentioned it in another thread recently so I went back, dug it out and gave it a play. Man oh man, can Brendan ever play! That is some of the best whistling that has ever been done. I saw Lunasa twice in September and I really like them, but Brendan makes them sound like they're playing while wearing rubber gloves.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Rubber Gloves, that's funny :lol:

I absolutely love Lunasa, and virtually the whole band plays whistle really well!

The great thing, to me, about Brendan's CD, is that he's got some really nice original tunes there, he's not just rehashing the same old stuff and trying to warm it over with a liberal application of Stupendous speed and technique - which he obviously has in spades.

Regarding Low F whistle on The Old Blind Dogs CD "The World's Room", I had this bit from the whistle/pipe player a while back:

E-mail message

From: (Rory Campbell) Date: Wed, Jan 5, 2000, 3:08pm (EST+5)
To: (Loren B.)Subject: Re: Whistle stuff

"(snip) Most of the whistle stuff is played on an Overton Low D but Roslin and Forfar Soldier are played with a Low F.(snip)"

I love Roslin Castle, one of my all time favorite tunes to play on whistle (all but impossible on most keyless conical bore flutes), but you need something with a bottom hole large enough to give you a good half holed Eb...or what would be Eb on a D whistle :lol:, which is why it's such a bear on the flute - that last hole is just too small to get a strong Eb.

Anyway, it's an absolutely killer slow tune on a good Low F whistle.

I'm sorry to say I never got around to learning Forfar Soldier, another nice tune. My other favorite from the CD is The Ritual. So many great tunes, so little time....

Loren
brendan ring

Post by brendan ring »

Hi Loren and Blackhawk

Thankyou for your kind words, I am blushing wholeheartedly! Regarding the low F Colin made the one I play. Low Fs are great, really easy to play, my current favourite however is low C, also made by Colin. Concerning rubber gloves, with or without them, I still can't get a gig!!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-11-24 13:14, brendan ring wrote:
Hi Loren and Blackhawk

Thankyou for your kind words, I am blushing wholeheartedly! Regarding the low F Colin made the one I play. Low Fs are great, really easy to play, my current favourite however is low C, also made by Colin. Concerning rubber gloves, with or without them, I still can't get a gig!!
Man, oh man, something is wrong with the universe if YOU can't get a gig! Any chance of a new low whistle CD coming out, Brendan?
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

The musical life is a tough one, eh Brendan? My stepfather is a professional musician here in the US, has to play lots of lousy weddings to make ends meet because even though he had a band with a major label (RCA) record contract, it's still a tough way to pay the bills.

Any chance you can list the key of whistle played on each track of "Troublesome Things" for us?

Cheers,

Loren