How to hold a whistle when playing C#

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
krabben
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

How to hold a whistle when playing C#

Post by krabben »

I've been playing some low whistle/flute for a little while now, but there is one little thing I'm wondering about. When playing C# on a whistle(D whistle, no holes covered), how to you secure it properly? I usually use a combination of my right pinky and thumbs. Still in fast tunes I always seem to mess up when it comes to this note. My fingers seem to fall out of position after I've lifted them all to play C# note.

This is not really an issue when I'm playing flute, since the weight of the flute is resting on my thumbs.

Any ideas?
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: How to hold a whistle when playing C#

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I always bite down really hard when I get to that note. Holding on by the skin of my teeth as it were.

My brain hurts

Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Alternatively have a read of this recent thread for a discussion on a very similar topic and IIRC anchoring a C#.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
eubiedubie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by eubiedubie »

third finger of your right hand
When you come to a fork in the road take it. Yogi Barra
krabben
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by krabben »

Thanks. The other thread about anchoring a C# was very informative!
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I always bite down really hard when I get to that note. Holding on by the skin of my teeth as it were.
Oooh no. Biting a whistle isn't good technique. May I humbly recommend the Australian position? Then gravity becomes your friend - use the force, don't fight it.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

In the old days many players kept the ring finger of the lower hand on for G, A, B, Cnat, and C#, their "basic fingering" being

xxx xxx
xxx xxo
xxx xoo
xxx oox
xxo oox
xoo oox
oxx oox
ooo oox

The D Generation whistle, which was the only D whistle available, played just fine using this approach.

Nowadays all sorts of neo-whistles and low whistles etc etc with bigger bores and different voicing etc are around, some of which don't like the fingering
xoo oox
on high B.

To me, the idea that all the holes below topmost open hole for a given note must be kept open appears to be a notion borrowed from orchestral instrument fingering charts, which Mel Bay etc has followed. Folk instruments often don't work that way.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Might be a good excuse to reintroduce the phorbeia.

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I've recently hired a curvy blonde to hold it for me when I play c#. She has had to learn all the tunes to know exactly when to grab it. She is also required to feed me grapes between tunes.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

FJohnSharp wrote:I've recently hired a curvy blonde ...
I'm trying to imagine what your Help Wanted ad looked like. :P
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

i'm curious... i use my pinky finger to stabilize the whistle, but i'm interested in when to leave down fingers to speed up phrasing...

but what i wanted to ask about was i've seen players (i think maybe in that Vinnie Kilduff Bb video going around?) seem to add a vibrato to long notes by flicking down fingers at the bottom. i guess for example, if the song ends on a g, flicking the e (b2) and/or d (b3) fingers up and down while playing the g. i was trying it recently... it seemed to work?

but if that's true, then it must be the case that leaving fingers down affects the tone? or is it somehow the flicking of the fingers that makes it work?

or did i dream the whole thing...

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
AlBrown

Post by AlBrown »

I often use fingerings similar to what pancelticwhatshisname (whatever happened to perfectly useful and sturdy names like Bob) shows above, except sometimes I anchor with the next-to-the-bottom finger rather than the bottom one, which works well in tunes that go bouncing back and forth between B and E, for example. Depending on what whistle you use, there are a number of spots where you can leave more fingers down than the fingering charts might suggest.
Of course, I caveat this with the fact that I am not an expert whistler, and what works for me may cause another whistler to recoil in shock and horror. :)
Denny

Post by Denny »

all righty!!! we could do with a bit of shock and horror!!!

let's not forget the pictures
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

tucson_whistler wrote:or did i dream the whole thing...
Dream on, O whistler ...

You have the perfect experimental device at hand for empirically testing your questions and hypotheses: your whistle.

In other words: try it. :-)

Remember that anchoring is really for the upper notes. If you're doing a finger vibrato on E or F# or even G, you're going to be waving those bottom fingers. Which is kind of hard if they're planted.

Play a G on your whistle with xxxooo and xxxoox. Any difference? How about if you vibrate the B3 finger? You'll figure it out.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

tucson_whistler wrote:or did i dream the whole thing...
I doubt it.

The closer the "covering" finger is to the note you mean to be playing, yes, it will flatten that note in some degree or another, that degree in part depending on the whistle. All you have to do is try it and listen for yourself to what happens to notes when you have other fingers down in different places, singly or in combination, and how that difference changes in either octave.

So for example, we have xxo ooo for A. If you cover thusly, xxo oxo, you're probably going to have little if any noticeable flattening although it may change in the 2nd 8ve. Certainly you should have no discernible flattening of the note with xxo oox. BUT: if you do xxo xoo, your A will be flattened somewhat, and usually moreso in the 2nd 8ve. Try xxo xxo, and the effect is more pronounced yet, and on to xxo xxx. Depending on the whistle, the heavier coverings like xxo xxx may make for a poor tone.

And so, yes, if you have xxo ooo and rapidly alternate between it and xxo xoo, you're going to have a finger vibrato.

These are just examples of possibilities. I say try it for yourself and see what you find.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician