The origins of Scottish Airs and the Irish Connection

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
highland-piper
antispam: No

The origins of Scottish Airs and the Irish Connection

Post by highland-piper »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76521&start=120

In the thread "I don't like fast Irish tradition music. Give me my airs." Talasiga says:
yes, the Gaelic speaking tradition of Scotland is originally from Ireland (pre Norman takeover, if I recall history correctly).
The lament, as per pibroch, is considered by many the heart of traditional Scottish music. I conjecture that this pre-eminence is itself a reflection from a time when it was so in Ireland as if the Scottish high regard for the slow air is a time warp preservation of an ancient Irish regard.
And Makar suggested it ought to be a separate thread, which makes sense, so here it is.

Regarding the Gaelic speakers of Scotland, until the late 1700's they called their language "Irish."

Pibroch (the English spelling of the Gaelic piobaireachd, which is pronounced half way between PEA-brook and PEA-broch), means "what pipers do." In other words, it really just means bagpipe music. Some tunes are laments. Some are gathering tunes. Some commemorate various events, and some are just tunes with seemingly no meaning. Funny thing is that sometimes a tune has more than one title, and one title is so-and-so's lament, but the other title is a different so-and-so's salute. So there isn't enough stylistic character to differentiate a lament from a salute.

In 1200 or so, the Welsh said that they and the Scottish both got their music from the Irish. The Welsh have a lot of traditional written records that document what they thought about music. It seems clear that in 1500 or so, the three peoples had a common musical tradition. Given the differences in space, they probably didn't play exactly the same stuff, but it was probably similar. Maybe similar the way two different sub-genres of jazz or blues are similar. There was a Welsh Harp player called Robert Ap Huw who compiled a manuscript in the late 1600's. His MS contains tunes that are called by names that are present in Welsh records going back to 1500, so they seem to have had a way of transmitting tunes one to the next, and respected the authority of what had come before.

You can find Ap Huw's MS online in fascimile (a scan) and transcribe it. It's not that hard to pick out the melodies. This is a sample of a page that I transcribed from the MS. It's probably an etude. The ornamentation is speculative, but the melody is what's written. When I started looking at the Ap Huw MS I was looking for some connection between that old Welsh Harp music and pibroch. I didn't really find that, although I haven't transcribed the whole thing. There are too many similarities for coincidence though. The way the music oscillates between one tone and another, adjacent tone is a pretty clear indication that they are related, as is the theme;variation;theme 16 bar structure. In broad terms, pibroch seems to be the heir to the ancient Irish harp tradition.

When the Irish developed the harp music (1200 to 1500), Ireland was a cultural center of the world. At that time, ocean travel was pretty fast, relatively speaking, and the ocean between Ireland and the Scottish Isles was a sort of highway. There was a fair amount of travel and people were much more connected than many people today realize. The Irish played a roll kind of similar to what the Greeks had done a millennium prior. But maybe not quite as much. The first secular literature in the western world was Irish, and they seem to have had a significant part in the development of early western music. The universality of the Christian church made movement of ideas inevitable.

Anyway, getting back to pibroch.

For the balance of this post, "piper", "piping" and "bagpipes" will refer only to the Great Highland Bagpipe (GHB). Just because it will make the writing easier. So not all pipers play pibroch, but many do. Competition is a major part of modern piping culture too. The 2/4 march and pibroch are the mainstays of competition. Pibroch is an unbroken tradition. Pipers have been playing it since no one knows when. Probably the 1500's. Until the mid 1700's the piper was the 2nd most important person in a highland clan (after the chief). The piper got his rent free in exchange for his services, so he could focus on piping. There were several important centers of piping, and mostly they were on Skye, the big island between Scotland and Ireland. I'm guessing this is not a coincidence.

So the piper is said to have played during meals. Probably in the morning and evening as well. If you read about the Bards of Irish and Welsh society in the centuries prior, the piper seems to be the vestigial stump of that whole tradition. The pipers carried on with the music. I suspect that when the earliest pibrochs were composed, the pipers had systems for composition, based on the earlier Irish harp music. The music Ap Huw recorded is very formalized and systematic. Unfortunately, there are no contemporary accounts of what those cheiftains's pipers thought about music. All we can do is imagine. Unfortunately, a lot of what people imagine gets passed off as fact.

By 1800 Gaelic society was in sharp decline in Scotland. I won't go into the details as that's not really related to the musical history. Two things seem to have conspired to preserve pibroch playing. One, all of the many Scottish regiments that were raised had pipers on the officer's payroll. They weren't soldiers, but attendants. The officers maintained a bit of Gaelic high-society, and even today pipers play at meal times for officers in Highland regiments. Another thing that happened is various "Highland Societies" were formed with the alleged mission to preserve highland culture. They started offering competitions with cash prizes, a tradition we carry on today. In 1812 Donald MacDonald figured out how to write pibroch in staff notation and between then an 1900 various collections were published. Between them all there are about 400 tunes, and these tunes are today our primary catalog of tunes. Occasionally modern tunes are performed, but mostly pipers play those tunes collected in the 1800s.

Every generation of pipers has lamented the fact that pipers just don't play music the way it was played in the old days. This is part of the written record. Some of the criticism in the early 1900s was very specific, so we have a running commentary on changes in performance practice from about the mid 1800's until the present day. On the other hand we have the myth that we're playing things the way they've been handed down for generations. This seems to cause cognitive dissonance for some, who can't seem to accept that one aspect of having a living tradition is change. In fact, the competition system itself causes change: one person wins, and all the rest go home and figure out what they're going to do different next time. But that's really a different thread -- this one is long enough already!

Pibroch is technically demanding. The fingerings are intricate and mandatory. It's very repetitive and abstract, which make it hard to memorize. The repetition makes any variance in your fingering easy to pick out. The tunes are long too, and keeping a set of pipes going, and in tune for 10 minutes is a physical challenge. It's hard to keep the fingers relaxed while playing that long, so that the ending variations are fluid. It's hard to make the variations musical when they seem to take the form of technical exercises. Because the harmonic component of the notes in the melodies doesn't follow the kind of chord sequences we're used to, it can be difficult to get used to the music. Think of a tune that just goes back and forth between A and G and that's pibroch. It never resolves.

So why do we do it? It's a challenge, and things that are challenging are good for competition. I heard someone once say (as a joke) that pibroch was just an excuse to play long notes and listen to them interact with the drones, and there might be some truth to that. All that tradition is also appealing. I got my tunes from my teacher. My teacher told me who her teacher got them from. I know who he got his tunes from, and who his teacher's teacher was. And the abstract nature of the musical form has appeal, after you live in it for a while.
cboody

Re: The origins of Scottish Airs and the Irish Connection

Post by cboody »

Interesting post. I've often heard that pibroch piping developed in the highlands of Scotland where the geography was not as amenable to pipe bands and gatherings of pipers as the lowlands. The idea of the lone piper standing on a hill improvising variation after variation has always intrigued me, however accurate it may or may not be. Yeah, I know the improvisatory aspect is pretty much gone from pibroch today but I suspect it was common early on.

As to the Scottish-Irish connections: I don't really know enough to comment in detail. I do know that there were Scottish "lords" that came to Ireland to help Brian Boru with the unification of Ireland. They were at Clontarf (spelling?). That would be around 1000 AD. So, the musical cross fertilization was doubtless underway by that time. As to what came from where I strongly suspect we will never know for sure. I doubt very much that there is sufficient detailed historical record to make any point of view indisputable. (Don't quote Geraldus at me please. That document is not sufficient in and of itself.)
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Yes, interesting.
I think I recall hearing in an interview on Radio Scotland the suggestion that pipe ornaments are a replication of older harp ornaments. Does that make sense ? I can't remember who was being interviewed but I have a feeling it was a fiddler from the north-west. Not relevant to airs but fits the idea of the pipes inheriting a harp tradition. It stuck in my mind because what I usually hear is that the ornaments are a response to the continuous sound and limited dynamics in the pipes.
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I don't think that piobaireachd, or ceol mor as it's called ("great music" as opposed to ceol beag "little music" such as reels etc) developed in the Highlands of Scotland.

It's pretty much established that ceol mor 1) predated the arrival of the bagpipe in Ireland and Scotland, being originally played on harp and 2) is simply one of many shared cultural aspects between Ireland and the Highlands.

There is documentation showing that early Highland ceol mor pipers were sent to Ireland for training.

It just so happens that ceol mor died out in Ireland but survived in the Highlands.

An intriguing area of study is the connexions between ceol mor and the Gaelic song traditon. Seems that several melodies now mostly known as pieces of ceol mor can be demonstrated to have existed in the Gaelic song tradition prior to the events mentioned in the title now associated with the piece. Indeed there is a species of Gaelic songs called "piobaireachd songs".
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

There is at least one piobaireachd written somewhere that's titled as "An Irish Tune" or something similar, so that's a pretty good indication that the music we have on pipes today had been played on some instrument in Ireland at some point.

As far as pipers going to Ireland for training, both Gibson and Donaldson write that not a lot can be established about the origins of Highland piping. I don't recall either of them mentioning this going to Ireland. Do you know where I could read more about that?

I'm cautious about the alleged connections between piobaireachd and song. No piobaireachd was written down before 1760. Very little music was written down in Scotland at all before 1700. So since we don't have any records, I really don't understand why some people think they can say that some tune that was written down from a piper in 1800 was really a song first. We do *know* that the elite musicians in the Highlands in the 18th century were pipers, and before that it's generally accepted that they were harpers. To me, it seems most likely that "the folk" would have borrowed melodies from the elite, schooled composers who played music for a living more often than it happened the other way around. But again, there is no evidence. No piper in the 17th century is on record expressing any thoughts about music, and there's very little in the 18th century outside of Joseph MacDonald.

Regarding the piping ornaments coming from harp -- it's possible, but again there seems to be no evidence. Certainly they played grace notes, as every other traditional instrumentalist does. But as far as the piobaireach ornaments like the crunluath, I think it's most likely they did not originate on harp. If you look at that jpg of the MS in the first post, you'll see that the variations do not follow the piping convention of abstract theme note followed by complex embellishment. The variations are more akin to baroque melodic variations. In other words, since the nature of the variation is different, the ornamentation we use today wouldn't really be applicable.
iain beag
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Post by iain beag »

There is only one piobaireachd I can think of that is sometimes referred to as an Irish piobaireachd and that is what I think we call "The Clerics Tune" or this is one title for it. I thought this had been proven some years ago not to be of Irish origin, there was an article in Piping Times a few years ago regarding this tune, can't remember the exact issue though.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Found it. It's in the Campbell Canntaireachd. The title is given as "One of the Irish Piobarich". The way the title is written seems to imply that he was aware of more than one, but only knew one.

You can see it in original MS here:
http://www.piobaireachd.co.uk/images/st ... 0irish.pdf

It starts where the line is drawn across the page. In William Donaldson's index he writes the comment, "Curious affair: much complicated work on the left hand, consists merely of a ground and 'ffirst Motion'. The latter mainly comprises a long succession of high Gs and As."

Donaldson's index:
http://pipetunes.ca/myimages/File/Pioba ... cripts.htm
cboody

Post by cboody »

Those interested in the connection between pibroch and harp should check out the music of Ann Heymann. She's a widely known wire strung harper who has made a study of the connection and has at least on CD out devoted to "pibroch on the harp." (Sounds a bit like "Turkey in the Straw" doesn't it :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

A friend of mine is among other things mainly a wire harper who learned under Ann Heymann. All I can say is that when he plays piobaireachd (he used to be a GHBer) on the wire harp, to my ear it works perfectly, almost as if it were hand in glove.

Happenstance? Today, who really knows. But it's a compelling notion that it may not be accident at all.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
iain beag
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Post by iain beag »

There has been an album released recently by two of Scotlands finest musians Gary West & Wendy Stewart called Hinterlands that explores the Harp and Pipe tradition.
I don't understand why anyone is surprised that there is a link between the two and also between piobaireachd and song, rather puzzling considering all the resources freely available.

Irish piobaireachd??????????????????????????????
There is more reference and evidence for the Loch Ness Monster, who can also be found in music books and websites on the internet. :D
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

iain beag wrote:There has been an album released recently by two of Scotlands finest musians Gary West & Wendy Stewart called Hinterlands that explores the Harp and Pipe tradition.
I don't understand why anyone is surprised that there is a link between the two and also between piobaireachd and song, rather puzzling considering all the resources freely available.
Gary West is great. I'll check out that CD. Thanks. I have a friend who plays the modern nylon strung harp in the Scottish tradition and when we get together we play tunes with me on smallpipes. It's nice to see that the US Scottish Harp society has added a category for piobaireachd.

Regarding the connection to song, as far as I can see all the documentary evidence dies out in the mid 1800's. Are you aware of some evidence from an earlier period?

Irish piobaireachd??????????????????????????????
There is more reference and evidence for the Loch Ness Monster, who can also be found in music books and websites on the internet. :D[/quote]

More references sure, but none are credible :o

The Campbell Canntaireachd is a very important early resource for pipers. Of course, a single reference, no matter how credible the source, isn't much to go on. But I think there's a fair amount of evidence to support the idea that the musical tradition that piobaireachd is part of started with the Irish on the harp, and the Irish had the two drone great pipe by the mid 1500's, as evidenced by that engraving showing the piper leading the war party.
iain beag

Post by iain beag »

Regarding the connection to song, as far as I can see all the documentary evidence dies out in the mid 1800's. Are you aware of some evidence from an earlier period?
I'm not sure that the connection died out although I can't say when it started, the albums released by Allan MacDonald & Margaret Stewart have done a lot to bringing the two together.
As Allan demonstrates a song can be taken and variations added so as to create what is basically a piobaireachd, whether this has been done to any that we now play may make interesting research.
It really is chicken and egg scenario, what came first the tune or the song? People are still taking the tunes and adding words to them, I don't see it as a new trend but a continuation.

I doubt most Loch Ness Monster references are credible, though I'll give St.Columba the benefit of the doubt. :)

Yes the Campbell manuscript is a great resource.

I'm still not convinced about piobaireachd starting in Ireland, yes it most likely started on the harp but I think it was a musical style that was used around Europe. An interesting argument was put forward not so long ago that it started in Italy! Again I think that was Piping Times.
Another thing that may need considering is that the 3 remaining gaelic harps (Lamont, Queen Mary and Trinity College) were most likely made in Argyll, did the Irish pick up their ideas from there?

Fascinating subject but probably on the wrong forum or website.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

iain beag wrote:An interesting argument was put forward not so long ago that it [piobaireachd] started in Italy!
Somehow, reading this makes me want to tear my offending eyes out of their sockets. :boggle: :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
iain beag

Post by iain beag »

Somehow, reading this makes me want to tear my offending eyes out of their sockets.
You sad boring bugger, if you'd rather discuss tartan and its developement then I'm up for it :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

iain beag wrote:
Somehow, reading this makes me want to tear my offending eyes out of their sockets.
You sad boring bugger, if you'd rather discuss tartan and its developement then I'm up for it :D
The history's been gone over a few times before hereabouts, and what illusions I used to hold have already been duly shattered, thank you. I count myself the better informed for it, and I'm afraid you'd have no disagreements out of me. I suppose that IS boring. But be my guest; some things bear repeating, like how every winter people in my city somehow need reminding on how not to get their cars impounded on snow plow days. After a few times you'd think some things would stick. Boy, do the city and towing companies rake in the money.

Actually, I was hoping that my comment might in fact elicit some more info out of you (rather than just a pugnatious dig, which too is boring, so now we're on equal footing and we can be boring together. Isn't that nice?). *yawn* :wink:

Oh, waiddaminnit. This is supposed to be a smackdown too, isn't it. I am boring.

But in the spirit of things, here's an Italian plaid (of course "tartan" is not the word):