I Think I Might Have a Ghost...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

I Think I Might Have a Ghost...

Post by Nanohedron »

...a cat ghost.

(And the Greek chorus sings: "Duh. What else? Nano would have a cat ghost. Like, imagine that.")

Here's the deal. Twice now in dim light I've seen out of the corner of my eye a shadowy catly form with a raised tail walking past me. As this sort of seeming fleeting half-presence is something that moving cats are good at, and thinking it's herself, I turn back to say something to her, and THERE'S NO CAT. I check, double-check, then I check ahead to the next room, and there the corporeal one is, curled up and sleeping deeply on her little tower. The one I thought I saw was going in the opposite direction each time.

And just a little while ago I thought I saw her face under the dining room table. I picked up the edge of the tablecloth for a peek at her, and again: NO CAT. Up to now, if I've seen a cat under the table, there's been a cat under the table. Every time.

Assuming I've not gone stone crazy, my first question is, "After four-plus years in the same digs, why now?" And the bodily one hasn't been acting funny like they are reported to in the presence of such things...but again, she's been sleeping all zonked-out like. And let me state for the record that I've always been a skeptic when it come to these things, so I'm willing to go with the idea that I'm nuts. I can live with that. Some would say that I've been having to for quite some time.

But I have to say that of all the ghosts one could have and if I have to have one, for me a cat ghost is so totally right.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
emmline

Re: I Think I Might Have a Ghost...

Post by emmline »

I expect that it's your daemon Nano. It's ok. I have one too.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Sounds like a job for the Ghost Stalker, Jennifer Love Hewitt. This sounds medical though. Having cats is bad enough, imagining even more is......
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

dwest wrote:This sounds medical though. Having cats is bad enough, imagining even more is......
First, as I am feeling generous today I will ignore your ailurophobic and, frankly, "catty" remark. You would do very well to own that reality and reflect on its irony, by the way.

Now that that's over, think of this episode as yet just another of the countless facets of my bewildering yet somehow charming eccentricity. If the spectre meows at me, I'll let you know.
emmline wrote:I expect that it's your daemon Nano. It's ok. I have one too.
There's a thought. I didn't ask for one, but I don't know how that stuff works.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

Nanohedron wrote:
First, as I am feeling generous today I will ignore your ailurophobic and, frankly, "catty" remark. You would do very well to own that reality and reflect on its irony, by the way.
I would post a stinging retort but the disgusting bundle of seal-point fur in my lap is inhibiting my access to the keyboard. Always at tea time he does this.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm not sayin' a thing.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Is your cat always asleep when it happens? Maybe she's learned to spirit walk.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

You may have a ghost, or some such, but you aren't alone. There's one in this house that can be heard walking about at times - by me and the dog. I call it "George" after the previous owner who died of a heart attack just up the street on his way home from bowling one night.

Frequently, around midnight, anyone here can smell a freshly lit cigarette. It was a bit creepy at first, but it is what it is (whatever that is!).

Reg
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
Denny

Post by Denny »

I seem to have missed the problem.

The cat doesn't eat. The cat doesn't sh*t. The cat doesn't go for walks. (so far)

Just name her Boo Boo and get on with life.

Now if she jumps up in yer lap whilst yer playin' yer pipes :twisted:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

avanutria wrote:Is your cat always asleep when it happens? Maybe she's learned to spirit walk.
So far yes with the sleeping, and I considered that possibility, too. In her old age I must admit she's gotten...interesting. And the cat spectre is fairly like her in size and gait.

You'd never know she was old just by looking at and observing her. But this year she's taken to being talkative, voicing her opinions and stuff. A lot. Never used to do that before, much. So, yeah, even though coincidences don't mean correlations, it could be. Why not?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:I seem to have missed the problem.
Did I say there was a problem? So far I'm rather delighted.
Denny wrote:The cat doesn't eat. The cat doesn't sh*t. The cat doesn't go for walks. (so far)
And so far, so good.
Denny wrote:Now if she jumps up in yer lap whilst yer playin' yer pipes :twisted:
No doubt it would be the "ghost D" that does the trick.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Could be Bastet getting ready to whup up on ya for even knowing a word like ailurophobia. Oh! The shame! That's my bet.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

dwest wrote:Could be Bastet getting ready to whup up on ya for even knowing a word like ailurophobia. Oh! The shame! That's my bet.
If it's any comfort, I had to look it up to make sure I was spelling it right.

And watch yer language. You're a right bastet yourself, tryin' to slip around the word filter so.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

rhulsey wrote:You may have a ghost, or some such, but you aren't alone. There's one in this house that can be heard walking about at times - by me and the dog. I call it "George" after the previous owner who died of a heart attack just up the street on his way home from bowling one night.

Frequently, around midnight, anyone here can smell a freshly lit cigarette. It was a bit creepy at first, but it is what it is (whatever that is!).

Reg
This building's been around since 1923, and while that's enough time for at least one to have taken up residence, no one's ever mentioned any ghostly-type stuff here. I certainly haven't experienced any until now, IF that's what it is. Which is why I find it odd that it should happen now, and that it's a ca....whoah. Waiddaminnit. A fellow tenant's moggie passed on maybe a year ago.

Maybe I'll ask him. But to tell the truth, that's gonna be a BIG maybe.
A-Musing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by A-Musing »

Have you tried reacting to the phantom in a way other than with shock and disbelief?

Perhaps "she" is teaching you something about the limits of your perception.

I've learned to stay open, with our cats, and have been taught a thing or two.

Sigh. Oh. Wait. We're the dominant species...right? :thumbsup:
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?