FS: Gorgeous, Perfect, Wonderful Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JessieK
antispam: No

FS: Gorgeous, Perfect, Wonderful Flutes

Post by JessieK »

Unlike the last flute I sold, these 4 are gorgeous, perfect and wonderful, with no issues whatsoever. I need to raise some money. I'd like to be paid through PayPal. Prices include shipping to anywhere (insured in the US, not insured worldwide). Please email me: jessie AT madefromcoins DOT com. Without further ado...

Larger version of photo: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4146/484 ... 4acd_o.jpg

Larger Version of Photo: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/484 ... 528e_b.jpg

Ok, here we go, individually:

Larger Version of Photo: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4109/484 ... 44e2_b.jpg

Murray Blackwood D Flute with textured silver rings: this flute is an example of Sam's best work. Every detail is accounted for. Take a look at how beautifully the holes are sanded. The tone and intonation are perfect, the appearance is perfect. I am an idiot for selling it. SOLD

Larger Version of Photo: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4105/484 ... a7e3_b.jpg

Copley Pink Ivory F Flute with all solid Sterling Silver appointments (tuning slide and rings): On one of my visits to Dave and Marlene, Dave handed me his blackwood F to try and it was m.a.g.n.i.f.i.c.e.n.t! I bought it on the spot (he was a little disappointed, as it was his flute, but he assured me he'd make himself another one). This was back when I thought that one of something was never enough, and I need three versions of the perfect F flute. I custom ordered this pink ivory one and the boxwood one below. I got them almost a year later (I am thrilled that Dave is doing so well that he has a waiting list so long). I really do love them all. The design (on all of them) is perfect. They are amazing players. The color is incredible on this one. And it smells great. This one has a bit more of an assertive tone than the boxwood one. I am, um, an idiot for selling it. $920.

Larger Version of Photo: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4085/484 ... 9a1f_b.jpg

Copley Boxwood F Flute with all solid Sterling Silver appointments (tuning slide and rings): See above. I provided the boxwood for this flute. I'd been holding onto it for years, thinking maybe I'd get a flutemaking workshop together. That isn't going to happen. But it's lovely wood. Somewhat mismatched, but you can hardly notice, because the patina is building up. A couple more years and it will be darker golden yellow-orange. You may remember that I adore boxwood (the smell and appearance). Another beautiful, amazing flute. This one is sweeter in tone than the pink ivory one. And...I am an idiot for selling it. $920.

Larger Version of Photo: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/484 ... bed2_b.jpg

Olwell Bamboo A: This was my first flute ever. Really. Well, actually, I got it with an Olwell Bamboo D. Through all the sales, I have held onto this one (for over 10 years). It has some green marks on it that have been there since the beginning (they always helped me to identify it). It's positively lovely, in every way. I am, well, an idiot for selling it. $420.

Again, please email me: jessie AT madefromcoins DOT com. And, if you happen to feel like buying some jewelry, please visit my Etsy shop: http://jessiedriscoll.etsy.com. If you happen to feel like buying some yarn or fiber, please visit my other Etsy shop: http://StashEnhancement.etsy.com. :)
~JessieD
JessieK

Re: FS: Gorgeous, Perfect, Wonderful Flutes

Post by JessieK »

The Murray is sold. The other three are still available. And lovely.
~JessieD
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I received a PM from someone who says he is a dealer of Dave's flutes and that I should check my prices against his. I have bought and sold rare whistles and flutes (always as a hobby) for well over 10 years, and I do know QUITE a bit about market value. I recently sold an 8-key Murray (that was problematic) for $1300 less than I paid for it. On Dave Copley's website, blackwood F flutes are listed for $750. These rare gems (pink ivory and boxwood are not listed as options at all) were made for me, and I waited almost a year for them. As always, people are free to buy my instruments, or not.

Hugs,
Jessie
~JessieD
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

The "dealer" tells me that pink ivory and boxwood shouldn't cost any more than blackwood. And yet they often do. Here's what I told him:

-----------

Flutemakers find pink ivory quite difficult to work with, and it splits more often than other woods, so there is often extra work, and loss of wood, to complete a flute.

Boxwood requires extra care when finishing, because anything dark (sanding cloth, polish) wouldn't work, and it also requires more time to season between turnings because of its tendency to warp if not seasoned properly and painstakingly.

---------

For what it's worth, I paid more for pink ivory and boxwood than I would have been charged for blackwood. And I don't think Dave was wrong for that at all. In the case of the pink ivory, I reimbursed him for the wood he bought, and in the case of the boxwood, I bought it myself.

I'm not sure why the dealer is bothered by the fact that I am naming my price for rare instruments. He is, of course, free to sell instruments for whatever prices he chooses.
~JessieD
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

JessieK:
Two thoughts:

It is not best that we should all think alike; it is a difference of opinion that makes horse races.
Mark Twain

It is a difference of opinion that makes a horse race, and missionaries.
Will Rogers

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

A gentle reminder about our "no public price policing" policy. And a suggestion that the details of private PM disputes be kept private. Carry on ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Big plug for Dave's F flutes. pound for pound among the best flutes in any key, IMO.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

jim stone wrote:Big plug for Dave's F flutes. pound for pound among the best flutes in any key, IMO.
I must agree. F flutes are magical in general but Dave's are particularly amazing. I'm trying very hard not to think about what a boxwood F from Dave would be like. Must...be...strong. :boggle:

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

The Copley Pink Ivory F is sold.

The boxwood one and the Olwell bamboo A remain.

There is special treatment available for people named Patrick Jones.
~JessieD
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Just want to let folks know that Jessie is great to work with and she is spot on when describing her instruments for sale. I just bought the Murray (the second flute I've bought from her) and it is both beautiful and an excellent player. Here's a clip of me playing it after having it for just 2 days: http://www.box.net/shared/fy68aoh2i7.

I would not hesitate to buy another from her in the future (where does she get all these flutes, anyways? :wink: ).

Thanks, Jessie.

Jason
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Jessie has been collecting for years and years...since her single, pre-wife/mother days. Apparently time to pay the piper so to speak. Family life will do that to ya.
Clark
Denny

Post by Denny »

I'd go with priorities shift over the years.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I don't think that you can make much buying and selling Irish flutes. You may even lose your shirt. The rumor is that Jessie is investing in antiques and has them hidden temporarily in a underground vault at her father's antique store.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

You guys have shirts?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde