Your favorite "alto" G whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Re: Your favorite "alto" G whistle

Post by StevieJ »

A friend of mine has a Burke and it's very good. I have a narrow-bore G from Colin Goldie, one of the first three he made with a smaller bore, and it really is a great whistle. I don't see a choice of bore sizes for G on his website, so perhaps he's making them all like that now - are you, Colin?
ubizmo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Your favorite "alto" G whistle

Post by ubizmo »

This discussion has been very interesting and--dare I say it?--edifying.

There's something interesting that I've noticed about my Dixon polymer G. Of all the whistles I own, and all that I've played, in any key, it has more consistency of timbre across the octaves than any other. When you go from C or C# to middle D, there's no discontinuity; nothing to suggest a change of instruments. It's just one consistent sound all the way up. I have no idea why this should be, but in my experience (which is quite limited, and includes no high-end whistles) it's unique. Every other whistle I've played, including the high D Dixon Trads, sounds like a somewhat different instrument is swapped in when you go to the 2nd octave. I can understand why that happens; I just can't understand why the Dixon low G avoids it. Or why I have the delusion that it does.

Ubizmo