Best quality/value Bb whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Terrible Nell
antispam: No

Best quality/value Bb whistles

Post by Terrible Nell »

Hi, first timer here!

I'm just getting back into playing the whistle and was always really happy with the Generation range. However, the ones I've bought recently seem to have really gone down hill in terms of quality. I've always been a huge fan of Bb whistles but I think I'm going to have to have a look at a different brand. I've got £45 to spend, tops. I'm totally out of touch with what to look for these days. I'm open to looking at different materials, ie. wood, aluminium, plastic etc.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Nell

:-?
straycat82

Re: Best quality/value Bb whistles

Post by straycat82 »

Hello,

Personally I've had pretty good luck with standard Gen Bb's (though I do always fill the cavity under the windway with poster tack to stablize the tone). If you don't have a way to play several in one place and pick one that meets your taste then you might consider ordering one of Jerry Freeman's tweaked Generation Bb's. I just received one myself and, though my stock Gen Bb meets my personal taste a bit more, Jerry's whistle is much more stable and sweet to the ear than the majority of stock whistles.

You can order them here

or, Jerry is also on the forums if you want to PM him with questions or an order.

Cheers,
Johnny
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

A "best quality" Bb whistle would be out of your price range, IMO. I'd think of whistles made by Burke, Copeland, Goldie, Sindt, etc. And all of those whistles represent "good value" provided the purchase price is not an obstacle.

There are good options for a Bb in your price range though. I would generally start by recommending a Generation. I have had luck with them. I like the sound and playabilty. But you are apparently down on them. Would you be willing to try a Freeman Tweaked Generation Bb? It's in your price range and available at Big Whistle in the UK. Jerry is a long time member of this board and a full time tweaker of whistles. The Gen Bb has had good reviews. You can search the forum for affidavits if you like.

You could also try one of Tony Dixon's Bb whistles. I've owned the tunable polymer DIxon Bb and it was a pretty nice whistle and in your price range. I would say it represented "good value". Dixon also makes Bb's with aluminum body for a bit more money. Bg Whistle carries them or you can buy directly from the maker. http://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/

Susato offers several Bb whistles. Susato whistles are not everyones favorite whistle but I like them. Susato makes tunable (Kildare and non-tunable (Dublin) models. I'd stick with the tunable Kildare models. They make Bb's in two bore sizes - standard bore and medium bore. The standard bore Bb is in your price range. And I would suggest that model to start. The standard bore Susato high D can be kind of loud but the standard bore Bb is not at all. It's a fairly tame whistle. Big Whistle also carries the Susato.

If you like the sound of a Clarke whistle you could look into a Shaw Bb. These are not my favorites but you might like one.

If you are looking for something handmade you could try a GG Whistles Bb made by Guido Gonzato (also a member of this community). They are available directly from the maker.
http://www.ggwhistles.com

Then there's the Syn whistle made by Erle Barlett. He makes a Bb but I only see the Bb tube available in whistle sets (a little more than your price range). If you can source one it should be within your price cap. The Syn has a lot of character, IMO.

I hope that is of some help.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
rmcraig

Post by rmcraig »

IMHO, the best Bb whistle available close to your price range is an Impempe Whistle by Ian Turnbull of South Africa. Ian undercharges for the quality of whistle that he makes. He's a member of this board but seems to stay in the shadows and is a modest person. For $68usd, plus $13usd for shipping, you'll receive a nicely crafted tunable aluminum whistle that plays well.

Check them out --- you won't be disappointed.

http://impempewhistles.co.za/5001.html

Dick
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Terrible Nell wrote:was always really happy with the Generation range. However, the ones I've bought recently seem to have really gone down hill in terms of quality.
Hi Nell, and welcome! I'm curious ... What specific aspect(s) of the newer Gens do you find worse? And what vintage of older Gens are you comparing them to?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
dspmusik
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dspmusik »

I've had good success with Jubilee whistles, and the tuneable Bb (aluminum) or non tuneable brass are both $59 here:
http://tinwhistles.us/jubilee/store/whis-altoalum.php
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

While I am not nearly as accomplished as many on this board, I have acquired quite a few whistles over the past year or so. Six of them are Bb and several of those are by top flight whistle makers. If you are looking for performance on a budget, Jerry Freeman sells the Generation in Bb and it is superb. Nickel or Brass is available and it is a purely aesthetic choice IMHO. They sound and feel the same to me. The brass might be a little easier to hold onto for a new player. You won't be disappointed.

You will also be very pleased with any of the big names like Burke or Reviol or Goldie if you can afford such.

If you want a nice whistle that is well balanced, in-tune and on the quieter side, which is often the case with Bb since, again IMHO opinion, you are more likely to be playing this someplace other than a session where a little more guts is necessary, please give Mack Hoover some consideration. I own one of his brass whistles and it is really nice for small settings.

This is a great key. My favorite after D.

Michael
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown »

I also love the Bb. I have always been reasonably happy with my stock Generation. However, having freeman tweaked models in other keys, I treated myself to Jerry's Generation Bb from Big Whistle. I have no regrets, I would thoroughly recommend one !
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I too am a fan of Generations. Thing is, when I started playing that's all there was except for the Clarke C. So if you played whistle you began a quest for the best Generation in each key you could find.

I have a really good Generation C that I got c1980, and no C at any price that I've ever played is better.

But I never acquired a really good Bb back in the day. In fact I have a half-dozen Bb Generation tops that I've picked up over the years and the best of the lot is only mediocre. An old friend back in the day had a GREAT Generation Bb and my goal is to find one like it.

I play Generation Bbs whenever I come across them in a shop and I've never found a good one.

So... the best thing, as people have been saying, is to get a Freeman Generation Bb.

These South African whistles sound very interesting and I'd like to try one sometime.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

I have 2 Gen Bflats (older) that are terrific. That said, I heard a really great whistler trying out a Freeman Gen Bflat at the Pipers Gathering, and I believe all within earshot agreed that both the playing and the whistle were terrific. In your budget, I'd definitely recommend a Freeman tweaked Gen Bflat. I also happen to really like Susato Bflats - I have 2 that are really nice. And also as noted Erle Bartlett's Syn. I happen to like Erle's Black Diamonds a bit more, but haven't been aware of any but D and C so far.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

MTGuru wrote:
Terrible Nell wrote:was always really happy with the Generation range. However, the ones I've bought recently seem to have really gone down hill in terms of quality.
Hi Nell, and welcome! I'm curious ... What specific aspect(s) of the newer Gens do you find worse? And what vintage of older Gens are you comparing them to?
Ahem ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

MTGuru wrote: Ahem ...
Amen
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

PhilO wrote: ...Susato Bflats - I have 2 that are really nice.
Are these the narrow bore? I used to have a Susato A that I really liked, a very sweet player. The bore seemed to be very narrow, maybe the same bore they used on their D whistles. I was surprised that such a narrow bore A whistle could play so well.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

pancelticpiper wrote:Are these the narrow bore? I used to have a Susato A that I really liked, a very sweet player. The bore seemed to be very narrow, maybe the same bore they used on their D whistles. I was surprised that such a narrow bore A whistle could play so well.
I am sure PhilO will clarify the Bb Susatos to which he is referring . Here's my experience with Susato A whistles. Susato made an A whistle for quite some time using the "standard" bore which is the same as the "standard" bore high D. That whistle is no longer available. The "standard" bore is not to be confused with the more recent "very small bore" high D. The "standard" bore A was characterised by the extra length of tube joined by what looks like a second tuning coupler, Kildare model. It was a rather sweet albeit genteel whistle, IMO. I found the bore to be too small for the key of A and the newer "medium" bore A provides a significant improvement in volume and tone, again IMO, but that comes with the large RH2 tone hole and higher air requirements (not a big deal). The "standard" bore Kildare whistles in the picture below are shown from the bottom up in the keys A, Bb, B, C, D, Eb and E.

Susato Bb whistles are currently available in both the "standard" bore and "medium" bore tube diameters. The "standard" bore Kildare Bb is a rather sweet whistle and exhibits none of the characteristics for which some players vilify Susatos. That's the one I recommended above. The "medium" bore Susato Bb whistle is a louder whistle with a fair amount of character and is capable of more of the low whistle growl some players like. Again it has the larger holes and takes more air than the "standard" bore Bb. I've owned and played both of the current bore sizes.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by keithsandra »

MTGuru has made two clips of Guido Gonzato's Bb whistle. Look for the GG clips shown in any of MTGuru's numerous postings to hear just what these whistles sound like. They're very inexpensive, expertly and meticulously handmade plastic whistles Guido specifically created to satisfy those unhappy with off the shelf Generation Bbs. They're inexpensive and Guido is a great enthusiast, very easy to deal with too. Any whistler, especially a newbie, is in good hands with Guido. Just Google Guido Gonzato and you'll get his pages.