Tuning Walsh A2000 Smallpipe drones

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
tin-titan
antispam: No

Tuning Walsh A2000 Smallpipe drones

Post by tin-titan »

I'm a lowland piper with highland hopes. I recently fell into a wonderful set of Walsh A2000 Mouth blown small pipes. Other than a couple of introductory lessons I have taught myself the practice chanter. Now that I have pipes I need to tune the drones. Are there any good reference website that explain how to tune smallpipe (Walsh in particular) drones? With the wealth of experience on this site I figured someone might have an answer.

Thanks.
"Wake up your bones,
Tune up your drones,
Let flee that heavenly tone."
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Tuning Walsh A2000 Smallpipe drones

Post by crookedtune »

Here's a rather overblown method you could use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KxID3EgMLQ

Here's the theory and details: http://hotpipes.com/tuning.html

Here's what I do:

If being at A440 is important to you, tune the chanter using an electronic tuner first. Do this by messing with the halters on your reed.

Once your chanter is in tune, an easy way to tune the drones is to stop up or tape over two of them, leaving only one open. Tune the bass and tenor by ear this way to match the pitch of the chanter. Then open all three up and slide the baritone until your ears get happy.

It's really MUCH easier than the discussions at those two links would lead you to believe.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
tin-titan

Post by tin-titan »

Hi CT, Thanks for your suggestions. I'll study them and let you know how they work for me. I have made some progress tuning my drones. But I still have a little ways to go.
"Wake up your bones,
Tune up your drones,
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Glad to help.

Another thing: When you're playing, your ear is mainly focused on the chanter. If the chanter seems sharp, it means one or more drones is flat. Push in the drone(s) slightly and it should pull things together for you. And vice-versa, of course: If the chanter seems flat, you need to pull drone(s) out slightly to bring them down to the pitch of the chanter.

It all becomes second nature very quickly. Correctly tuned, the Walsh A2000 sounds rich, full and powerful. Great value for the price!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
tin-titan

Post by tin-titan »

Thanks CT! One other question about tuning. When I check my my chanter's low A it shows A on my handy electric tuner. Is this correct? I thought I heard or read that the low A is on the A2000's chanter should actually be D. I really love the Walsh pipes. They are so elegant and well made yet affordable. In videos and when I play them in my home they sound good. I'm still so excited about owning them. My bag cover is a lovely deep emerald green. Thanks for your help with my pipes CT.

Tin
"Wake up your bones,
Tune up your drones,
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

No, the low A should be an A (440). You can also play in the key of D, however. (Just like an A whistle will).

I bought my A2000 set used, from a highland piper who thought he'd use it, but didn't. It's mouth-blown, and I'm considering adding the Walsh adapter and bellows, but have heard mixed reports about it. (Some think it's on the small side to drive the pipes). In the meantime, I'm getting used to the blowpipe, so I might just leave it this way. It's a fantastic instrument.

Have fun!
Charlie Gravel

― Oscar Wilde
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Here's how I tune my smallpipes.

First, make sure low-a and high-a are in tune with each other.

Now "tap" (gently touch) the top of two of the drones. When you tap the top, it will shut it off.

Finger an E on the chanter and tune the drone to the E. I usually tune the middle drone first, because it is an E.

Now let the pressure off the bag and bring the three drones back on.

Repeat the process for the other two drones.

At this point all three drones will be very closely tuned to each other, but probably not perfectly so. Tap off the middle drone and listen to the other two while playing Low-a. If you can hear any warbling, then move the big drone in one direction or the other to see if it gets better (while fingering E). If it only gets worse, then your little drone is out of tune with your A. If it gets better and the warbling stops, then you've got the two in tune to each other and to the chanter. Then bring the middle drone back in and move it a little each way the same as you did for the bass.

All this, of course, depends on the E being in tune. If it is in tune, then it will show 2 cents sharp on your tuning meter compared to chanter a.