Happy Whistler - New Dixon Trad D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
wyodeb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Happy Whistler - New Dixon Trad D

Post by wyodeb »

I've played flute for a long time. I've been frustrated with my inability to play the whistle. Turns out it might have been more the Waltons I've been frustrated with. I just received a Dixon Trad D from a forum member. It blows sweet and true. Much more in tune than the Waltons. The upper register just sings out with very little effort. I'm having so much fun!

Deb
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Happy Whistler - New Dixon Trad D

Post by MTGuru »

:thumbsup:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Nice aren't they. I love the sweet top end they have. I play mine an awful lot.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

I love my Dixon Trad :-)
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

I like the Dixon Trad a bunch and its not very loud but as of this writing its right up there with my Jerry freeman whistles that have been tweaked....the Tony Dixon Trad needs no tweaking it is a great little whistle JMHO

www.tuxedomusic.com
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

mickey66 wrote:I like the Dixon Trad a bunch and its not very loud but as of this writing its right up there with my Jerry freeman whistles that have been tweaked....the Tony Dixon Trad needs no tweaking it is a great little whistle JMHO
That raises an interesting point / question. Jerry, have you tried tweaking a Dixon, or would you agree with Mickey that it needs no tweaking. Might a good whistle test be "does this whistle need a Freeman tweak?" Ok, I can imagine that Jerry might not want / need to tweak the less popular / ubiquitous whistles, but it has got me thinking...
Porridge Face

Post by Porridge Face »

I have one too. They're real nice, aren't they --- I love mine.
Porridge Face

Michael Burke D Brass Session
Tony Dixon Low F
Whistlin' Will
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Whistlin' Will »

According to this guy's review, the Dixon seems to have some intonation problems. Has anyone else had this problem, or was this just a manufacturing fluke? Note that this review was of a tunable polymer soprano D.
-Will
Out in the sticks
With the hicks
And the ticks

My avatar is a photo of one of my T-shirts.
red_menace
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by red_menace »

I've got two Dixon high D whistles, a nickel trad and one of the tuneable polymer whistles (the one with the brass slide). The intonation is really decent on with the trad, but a little idiosyncratic on the plastic whistle when you get up into the second octave. It's not terrible, but I do find myself having to compensate for it, whereas the trad is just a dream to play. I've am strongly considering getting the E flat and E as well. I wish he made a C trad!
R Small

Post by R Small »

My Dixon (polymer soprano D) has the same tuning issues described in the review.
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Whistlin' Will wrote:According to this guy's review, the Dixon seems to have some intonation problems. Has anyone else had this problem, or was this just a manufacturing fluke? Note that this review was of a tunable polymer soprano D.
I was waiting for someone to bring this subject up.... here goes: The Tony Dixon Trad Brass "D" IS the only whistle I own that is A-440 on every damn note up and down the whistle...the truth! Right out of its plastic case it was that way. Maybe, I got a good one? Maybe other owners will chime in here. Edit: I have a Dixon Polymer DX012 Low "D" whistle that is not in-tune up and down the whistle but it sounds very good.

http://www.tuxedomusic.com
WJC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by WJC »

wyodeb wrote: I'm having so much fun!
This deserves another :thumbsup:
wyodeb

Post by wyodeb »

I am also impressed by the intonation of this whistle. I have a good ear, and can adjust accordingly, but not to the extent that the Walton seemed to require. The Dixon Trad will be much more fun to play with a group. I'm really loving it!

Deb
highwood

Post by highwood »

the only whistle I own that is A-440 on every damn note up and down the whistle...
Is it a one note whistle?

all joking aside - I am assuming that by this comment that you are saying that when played into a tuner of some sort the tuner indicates close to 0 cents error for all the notes.

Perhaps, just maybe, some whistles are not intended to produce equal tempered scales - a just third is about 14 cents flat for example.
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
LeirumInstruments

Post by LeirumInstruments »

I have a Low D aluminium tuneable Dixon and I really love it. The sound is so nice with the perfect mixture of mellow and air, more mellow. I really lieke it plus it sounds loud and colorfull and responses very good. The only thing is that takes so much air from me. Very often I run out of air. Maybe with a little more practice. I am doing my own whistle.