Tin Whistle Emergancy!!!!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ban this
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Tin Whistle Emergancy!!!!!!

Post by Ban this »

Can some brilliant wistle wizzard please show me where i can find the sheet music for the Pogues, Sunny Side of the Street????
I love my Tin Whistle way more than a kick in the nuts!
And my wonderful tin whistle demands i learn that pogues song.
Im really scared my tin whistle will do something drastic, unless i get the sheet music.
Sum won haaaaalp!!! :boggle:
Porridge Face

Re: Tin Whistle Emergancy!!!!!!

Post by Porridge Face »

Put down the whistle, put up your hands, and step back slowly,....
Porridge Face

Michael Burke D Brass Session
Tony Dixon Low F
Flexismart
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

You don't need sheet music to play the whistle part on the Pogues "Sunny Side"

Just play it over and over and before long you'll have it memorized, however,

What you do need is an E whistle since the band is playing in the key of E, or you could use an A whistle and play it in the Key of A position (with 1 sharp = G#).
A reasonably good player could play the tune on a D whistle, half holing the D# & G#,
but an E whistle would be a lot easier as you'd not have to try to reach notes that aren't solidly there.

2 better solutions:
1) If you're playing by yourself, and learning this, lower the tuning to D using a free web based program called Audacity, and play it on a D whistle or,
2) If you're trying to play this in a band, convince the other members to play in the key of D, and save yourself the trouble of spending $15 USD for an E whistle, that you'd probably (perhaps) never use again.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Hey, now I've heard exactly 3 Pogues songs. :wink:

Straight setting in D fingering, for E whistle. Earplugs optional. If you have a Generation F whistle, you can pull it out far enough to play along. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what on the track.

X:1
T:Sunny Side of the Street (whistle)
C:The Pogues
N:Original played in E
Z:MTGuru for C&F 2011-01-17
M:C|
K:D
d3 d2 dee/f/|e3 e2 eff/g/|f3 f2 fga|d'3c'- c'2b2|
a3b/a/ g2f2|e3f/e/ d2e2|1 f3f g2f2|e3z z4:|2
z2fa bafe|d2eB d2e2|z2fa bafe|d2eB d2e2|]
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

MTGuru wrote:Straight setting in D fingering, for E whistle. Earplugs optional. If you have a Generation F whistle, you can pull it out far enough to play along. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what on the track.
Aww, you're a very kind man.

Maybe someone with a more substantial Pogues back catalogue could comment on the keys they usually play in. E seems an odd choice - were there many whistles in E back in the days when they recorded that track (1990)?
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

Dave Shaw - Shaw Whistles - makes a high E whistle for about 18GBP,
but I like the F whistle (fipple pull out) idea - it might work with the Pogues tuning scheme.

http://www.daveshaw.co.uk/SHAW_Whistles ... stles.html

E is a fairly standard key if you're trying to play whistle in a guitar band.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Flexismart wrote:E is a fairly standard key if you're trying to play whistle in a guitar band.
It might be today, but in 1990?
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

hoopy mike wrote:
MTGuru wrote:Straight setting in D fingering, for E whistle. Earplugs optional. If you have a Generation F whistle, you can pull it out far enough to play along. Wouldn't be surprised if that's what on the track.

Maybe someone with a more substantial Pogues back catalogue could comment on the keys they usually play in. E seems an odd choice - were there many whistles in E back in the days when they recorded that track (1990)?
I seem to recall a picture of Spider Stacy in the '80s with a lineup of various-keyed Generation whistles. Perhaps it was in one of the album sleeves/liner notes? I'm pretty sure that, until he later switched to Overton whistles, he played Generations for recordings and gigs.

I think most of their stuff can be played with an Eb or D whistle. Perhaps he was sharpening his Eb whistle for this track?

edit: Not the picture I was thinking of but perhaps it can provide more context:
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

MTGuru wrote:If you have a Generation F whistle, you can pull it out far enough to play along.
Hmm. I just tried pulling the head back on my Gen F. I can't get it to go as low as E. Maybe he used a sawn-off Eb...
Ban this
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ban this »

Thanks a million every won i hope use all get good tin whistle KARMA
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

hoopy mike wrote:Hmm. I just tried pulling the head back on my Gen F. I can't get it to go as low as E. Maybe he used a sawn-off Eb...
I don't doubt that MTGuru has tried the Gen F as an E but if I were a betting man, and I'm not, I'd bet on the sawn-off Eb too.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

hoopy mike wrote:
MTG's facility at this would be infuriating if he wasn't so obliging about devoting his vast ears to the cause of good.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis