low D whistle and small hands?...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
daynamite209
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

low D whistle and small hands?...

Post by daynamite209 »

Hello. I have been wanting to buy a Dixon low D whistle somewhere online, but I'm too afraid that I won't even be able to reach all of the holes! Are there any small-handed people out there who have had success with playing one of these whistles? Many thanks!
sw84721
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: low D whistle and small hands?...

Post by sw84721 »

Hi,
I had a dixon Low D for about a week. I could reach the holes using piper's grip, but playing with my finger pads was an uncomfortable stretch. I'd guess my hands are average for a woman and pretty flexible from playing piano, flute etc. I didn't like the upper octave sound on the Dixon...lots of air and little tone in my hands. The lower octave was ok. This was not the most expensive Dixon, though- around $100, so maybe the higher end models will sound better. I haven't heard the Burke Viper EZ yet. They have closer finger spacing, and according to one review, a slight loss of tone as a result. Good luck finding your whistle!
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

The small hands/Low D dilemma comes up frequently. You can do a search using the link at the top of the page to see what is generally suggested. A frequent suggestion would be the Sweetheart Resonance low D whistle with the EZ Reach hole spacing. The Resonance has a conical bore and smaller holes than many low D's. http://www.sweetheartflute.com/lowwhistle.html

Tony Dixon also offers a low D based on his conical three piece polymer flute. Model number DX030 for the flute and DX030WHD for the whistle head. Again the holes on the Dixon are smallish and spaced closer than the average cylindrical low D. There are rumors of a newer Dixon low D in the works but I have no idea what the hole layout might be.
sw84721 wrote:I had a dixon Low D for about a week. I could reach the holes using piper's grip, but playing with my finger pads was an uncomfortable stretch. I'd guess my hands are average for a woman and pretty flexible from playing piano, flute etc. I didn't like the upper octave sound on the Dixon...lots of air and little tone in my hands. The lower octave was ok. This was not the most expensive Dixon, though- around $100, so maybe the higher end models will sound better. I haven't heard the Burke Viper EZ yet. They have closer finger spacing, and according to one review, a slight loss of tone as a result. Good luck finding your whistle!
I frequently recommend the tunable polymer Dixon low D (model DX021) as a first low D. I personally find the tone to be pleasant across the two octaves albeit a bit quieter than some other low D's. I own/play several Burke low D's as well. One is the composite EZ model. Comparing the reach and hole sizing between a cylindrical Dixon polymer low D and the Burke EZ there is only a 2mm difference between the stretch on the Dixon and the Burke for each hand. The Burke is 2mm closer for the bottom hand and the Dixon is 2mm closer for the top hand. So not a significant difference. I experience no serious loss in tone or note strength on the Burke EZ. And I do own a couple of the Burke pro low D's which I favor. The Burke whistles offer a rotatable bottom hole configuration and that makes the stretch a lot more manageable for many people. The Burkes are very good whistles, IMO.

Piper's Grip makes most low D's accessible to smaller hands. It's a skill worth developing, IMO. If you can borrow a low D to experiment with a piper's grip, it might be worthwhile. Good luck! ...and welcome to the C&F forums.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
mickey66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Yes! I have this Dixon Plastic(black) Low "D" whistle and I have small hands for a guy and I have no trouble with this whistle but I must say at this point with my playing I can't play reels or Jigs as of yet on it.....It will make a Bb Gen or Jerry Freemsn's A Brass whistle seem easy to play tho.... The reach is not as bad as I thought it would be. I like the sound of this whistle a lot! I think it's the Dixon DX-012 if my memory serves me well.

www.tuxedomusic.com
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I'll second the Sweetheart Resonance recommendation. My wife can play it, and she has a small reach. Great, flutey sounding whistle.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
wyodeb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by wyodeb »

The WD Sweet Onyx has the friendly reach of the Resonance, without the higher price. Mine is great to play, even with my skinny fingers. It is a 3-part whistle, so I can turn the bottom piece a bit to facilitate reach as well.

Deb
daynamite209

Post by daynamite209 »

aye. I went to a local music shop and tried out a Low D whistle. Susato? I think... Anyway, i tried for about ten minutes or so. Couldn't even get a decent scale down. My hands hurt afterwards, too. Ah well. Thanks for the replies!
bogman

Post by bogman »

Don't give up on the back of 10 minutes with a Susato daynamite, there are ways to play a low D easily. I have pretty average sized hands but use my pinky rather than the ring finger for the bottom D, this makes it very easy and virtually no stretch. And it's not unusual - if you're aware of the scale on the Uilleann Pipes, D is all fingers down and E is raising the pinky and the ring finger. So effectively if you treat the first couple of holes on the low D as pipes, only without the ghost D hole, then it really is very easy to play, just takes a wee bit getting used to.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I am old enough to have learned that one size does not fit all - in anything. So many threads concerning small hands and low whistles always spend much time on different brands, models, and design issues concerning various instruments. And that is fine... However, in Feadoggie's post, placed innocently among the rest of the wisdom, is written: Piper's Grip makes most low D's accessible to smaller hands. It's a skill worth developing. Such truth..

I understand that piper's grip is just one more technique to be learned in the long whistle journey. There are so many others, that one more can seem burdensome. However, once learned, it makes things so natural. If polled, I know that quite a number of players would admit to using piper's grip for more than the lowest of whistles. it simply works. I echo Feadoggie's sentiment in respectfully suggesting that individuals who wish to play low whistles should learn the technique.

Best to all.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
ducks

Post by ducks »

Yes.
I absolutely hated pipers' grip, and was slightly ashamed to find it took me less than a morning to get used to it. Such a fuss over nothing ;)
sophie
Ted

Post by Ted »

The only difference between the EZ and regular Burke Viper is the size and location of the bottom hole. The bottom hole on the EZ is higher up and smaller than on the regular. This makes for less volume in the E. A side by side comparison makes this obvious.
wyodeb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by wyodeb »

Even with piper's grip, my hands are slight enough to be unable to cover the holes on the straight bored low whistles I tried. My ring finger is a size 5.5. (They are almost skeletal.) I'm the one they send in at work when something jams in the copier beyond anyone else's reach. I would encourage you to check out a conical bore low d whistle. They are a little scarcer, but very worth the hunt. I use piper's grip on the bottom holes of the Onyx. The difference is that I can cover the holes and play without pain and fatigue.

Deb
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

ducks wrote:I absolutely hated pipers' grip, and was slightly ashamed to find it took me less than a morning to get used to it. Such a fuss over nothing ;)
So you're using piper's grip now? Was this before or after your description of problems with your slippery Howard?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ducks

Post by ducks »

I can't play the Howard at all unless I use the second joint of all fingers, otherwise I can't play the bottom D. Ginormous holes...
Last edited by ducks on Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
sophie
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

ducks wrote:I can't play the Howard at all unless I use the second joint of all fingers, otherwise I can't play low D. Ginormous holes...
OK, thanks, ducks. I think I have an inkling now of what you're dealing with.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.