E whistle??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chansherly212
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

E whistle??

Post by chansherly212 »

Do any makers besides shaw and susato make E whistles? Rare key, but I’m finding it more and more necessary now that the band I’m in plays quite a few songs in E and not to mention, playing in A would be a breeze, without busting my budget for a keyed flute/low E. SO, anyone have any suggestions, or could point me to a past thread about this.
On a side note, why exactly are they so rare? , while Eb which seems to be odder to me, is relatively more common
syn whistles
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: E whistle??

Post by syn whistles »

Cough, cough. (Whistles in A too, by the way)
A lot of singers like E.
So good it has to be a SYN!
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

Just a note on the Eb thing, when I was much younger, I learnt to play in a fife and drum band. We used Bb and Eb instruments, mainly learning military tunes, (not so long after WW2). It was always my supposition that we used those keys to have the ability to play with brass bands using our instruments in common keys and playing a common repetoir.
There seems there is a story doing the rounds that certain sessions in Eire have switched to Eb in an attempt to keep out interlopers who turn up with D's. An urban myth?
So good it has to be a SYN!
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

Colin Goldie makes great low E whistles. I have a standard and a narrow bore one, if anything I prefer the narrow bore. It's also an easy whistle to play.
Last edited by bogman on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Dixon
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I have a Bernard Overton Low E that plays great.

Yes it's a very useful key. I had one studio gig were everything had to be played on either an E or an Eb.

The composer had contacted me before he had put everything in stone and I told him that for the uilleann pipes and my nicest low whistle (MK) he would have to have everything in one or two sharps.

Well I showed up on the day and in typical fashion the composer had forgot all that I had told him and everything was in four flats, or four sharps! So I had to do everything on Susatos, the only Low E and Low Eb I had at that time.

During one lull I was noodling on my MK Low D and the composer yelled "I like that one! Why don't you use that one?"

"Because it plays in one sharp or two sharps, like I told you last week. The guy who made this one doesn't even make them in four sharps or four flats." :swear:
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Guitar players like the key of E. It feels like home to many of them. So I find a lot of use for an E whistle. I have used the Susato high and low E's in the past. Over time I replaced both of those with Burkes. The Burke high E is really sweet. Another whistle that I use more than I would have guessed is a B whistle and that is usually to play support for songs in the key of E as well. If you are feeling industrious you could make an E whistle yourself either from scratch or by modifying something like a Gen Eb or make a B whistle from a Gen Bb or maybe a Gen C. I'm still looking for the thread that explains how to go about the Gen conversion. Maybe Pancelticpiper can speak to that as I think recall he may have done that himself for a Gen-like B whistle.

Here's what I found on the B whistle mod so far:
billh wrote:An inexpensive alternative worth trying:

As it happens, you can take a Bflat Generation and remove metal from both the top and bottom so that the top note is sharpened a semitone and the bottom note (all holes closed) is also sharpened a semitone. By some weird quirk of Generation's tuning, the resulting notes in the middle are well within range as well, and the resulting scale is an acceptable B scale. At least, it works for me.

Total length of the doctored Generation (metal part, without fipple):
316 mm

Distance from the top end of the whistle to the top hole:
132 mm
Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Lots of makers out there offering low E whistles, if that is what you're after. Chieftain, Reviol, Overton, Burke, Susato, among others like Syn, etc. Take your pick, and try one in your price range. Phil Hardy (Kerrywhistles.com) offers some nice package deals on the lows, as well as Maurice Reviol's one head and various bodies deals as well.

Have a blast!
~~~~
Barry
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
red_menace
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by red_menace »

Any particular problem with a Shaw E? I have one, and like it a lot. It's a wee sweetie. Inexpensive, too.
chansherly212

Post by chansherly212 »

Feadoggie wrote:Guitar players like the key of E. It feels like home to many of them. So I find a lot of use for an E whistle. I have used the Susato high and low E's in the past. Over time I replaced both of those with Burkes. The Burke high E is really sweet. Another whistle that I use more than I would have guessed is a B whistle and that is usually to play support for songs in the key of E as well. If you are feeling industrious you could make an E whistle yourself either from scratch or by modifying something like a Gen Eb or make a B whistle from a Gen Bb or maybe a Gen C. I'm still looking for the thread that explains how to go about the Gen conversion. Maybe Pancelticpiper can speak to that as I think recall he may have done that himself for a Gen-like B whistle.

Here's what I found on the B whistle mod so far:
billh wrote:An inexpensive alternative worth trying:

As it happens, you can take a Bflat Generation and remove metal from both the top and bottom so that the top note is sharpened a semitone and the bottom note (all holes closed) is also sharpened a semitone. By some weird quirk of Generation's tuning, the resulting notes in the middle are well within range as well, and the resulting scale is an acceptable B scale. At least, it works for me.

Total length of the doctored Generation (metal part, without fipple):
316 mm

Distance from the top end of the whistle to the top hole:
132 mm
Feadoggie
hmm i guess the same could work for Eb to E as well? how are generation Eb though? it puzzles me though, that the bottom part has to be removed as well, and that it wouldn't mess up the whistle's tuning with itself
chansherly212

Post by chansherly212 »

red_menace wrote:Any particular problem with a Shaw E? I have one, and like it a lot. It's a wee sweetie. Inexpensive, too.
i think i read somewhere that they need quite a lot of breath, dunno if i just made that up in my head though XD.
WJC

Post by WJC »

If you want to give it a try, Pipe-maker Nick Whitmer has detailed instructions on his website for making an E whistle out of a Generation F. Here's a link to his site: http://mysite.verizon.net/nwhitmer/index.htm

It's what Angus MacGyver would do, with a swiss army knife and duct tape of course :D
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

red_menace wrote:Any particular problem with a Shaw E? I have one, and like it a lot. It's a wee sweetie. Inexpensive, too.
Not being tuneable might be an issue if you're intending to play with others.