Idol

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Idol

Post by The Weekenders »

I think Scotty should win now, because Lauren just doesn't bring enough to the table. Yes, she has a big voice, but there are plenty of big voices out there in musicland. Scotty is unique. I wish he would lose a couple of affectations but he's just a kid. Gaga tried to get him to stop flutin' the mic, which is not only annoying but he does compromise sound in an electrified noisy environment where it counts. And the lower cut or slide or whatever you wanna call it should only be rolled out for certain songs. He's gotten a lot better in that regard.

I noticed the Alfred E Neuman thing a long while back. I have thought, since the shows began in earnest, that he oughta wear a cowboy hat to hide the jughaid. Would certainly fit the genre.

I guess I'll watch. I dunno.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Eh.
Well, on an interesting-to-watch and listen scale, Haley scored a tad higher last night, simply on the basis of who was left.
I suppose it's something about her features, hair, and theatricality that conjured the Rocky Horror image for me, but I found it kind of cool that her dad performed with her.

Lauren was bland, as usual. She's a vanilla latte from Dunkin Donuts in a plain take-out cup.

Scotty sang lots of songs about love and women and going to bed, and it was just a wee hard to take that seriously from a 16 year old who kisses his cross to ward off the Lady Gaga hoodoo vibes.

Anyway. I've made it this far. I'll probably watch next week, just to see if anyone ramps it up a notch.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

My wife was anxious to watch "Idol" last night, as it is her favorite show. Unfortunately, she fell asleep at the beginning and slept throughout the first hour. I woke her up a 9 pm for our TV time together each night, and we watched the third round of performances. I have to admit that of the three remaining singers, I like Haley the best. She has personality. She smiles, dances, and she can really belt out a tune. And it sure doesn't hurt to be attractive for a visual medium, such as high definition, large-screen TV. Regarding a previous "Idol" performer, while I was shopping at Cosco yesterday, I noticed that Jordan was singing in a video with wild animals on the demonstration TV's. She looked and sounded good, IMO. I agree that Scotty needs a hat, a big one.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Looks like "Durbin Day" was quite a success. Heaven knows, we can use the economic boost!

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_18091384

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
chas

Post by chas »

Once James was gone I thought Lauren was a shoo-in, but not after last night. She didn't sing well and was, as someone already pointed out, boring. I thought Scotty sang great last night and Hayley was pretty strong. I made my daughter promise to let me play the dulcimer on stage when she's on Idol.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Of the three, Scotty is the only one who would truly have a future in the music business. Close your eyes and listen to that voice. With a little training, like letting loose on high notes, instead of pinching them, he is perfect for country and perhaps more.

I just think that without the Idol attention and scrutiny, the other two will be lost in the biz. I want to support Lauren, but she's not that unique. I remain a Haley detractor. I don't think she is that pretty and her vanity is gargantuan, but she did well last night, except I would point out that her singing of Alanis Morisette showed how shallow she is. Ya gotta be smart, half nutty and angsty like Alanis to really sing those lyrics and mean them. Haley is like an Afghan hound or a thoroughbred horse. I mean, that's fine for the kind of crap that passes for music today, which is video-based non-songs, like that Beyonce mess, cuz it relies on choreography, costume changes and effects for entertainment, rather than intelligible phrasing and timelessness. She can probably fit in to that phony world but it doesn't mean I want to encourage it.

Her dad is a damn good rocker, tho. And as a parent, it brought tears to my eyes. I'm lucky enough to play music with my son regularly and it definitely makes life a bit more worth living.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
ancientfifer

Post by ancientfifer »

The fact that Hayley tackled Led Zepellin was pretty cool, and didn't skip a beat after her face plant on national television, that's the sign of a professional performer. Wasn't crazy about Jimmy's choice for her of Rhiennon, (nor the judges choice of Alanis Morissete) and the wind machine cracked me up, but hey, it's Hollywood. And she definitely pays attention to the entertainment factor and isn't afraid of taking a risk, which she has done almost every show. Lauren seems to have some superior voice qualities, but as others have said, plays it way safe, but she has a really positive attitude about it all. Scotty's Dad almost stole the limelight from him when Ryan got him to sing a bar, LOL. And he definitely was playing to the teen sweetheart vote. It would have been fun to see what james would have performed in the top three.....
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

I was bummed to see Durbin go. Glad Santa Cruz got to celebrate and have Durbin day. I like Santa Cruz. Only problem with Santa Cruz is "all the damn vampires". ;)
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Kirk B wrote:I was bummed to see Durbin go. Glad Santa Cruz got to celebrate and have Durbin day. I like Santa Cruz. Only problem with Santa Cruz is "all the damn vampires". ;)
:lol: That is a great movie.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!