Dixon DX006 Questions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Guyon
antispam: No

Dixon DX006 Questions

Post by Guyon »

I've been thinking about picking up this whistle. It's available at a moderate price (~$70), and I've seen occasional blips about it that are positive.
I enjoy playing my Dixon Trad in D (heck, it's in my avatar) though it's a quiet whistle, and I'm wondering how the DX006, as a Soprano D whistle, will vary.
The Trad D needs very little breath, and in fact, I have to guard against overblowing. Is the DX006 the same? Is the DX006 a louder whistle? Are the tones markedly different?

Here's a pic for those who don't know the model number. It's the Soprano D in aluminum with a tuning slide.

Blaydo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Dixon DX006 Questions

Post by Blaydo »

This video should help you compare the two. I appreciate the one with the tuning slide is a much sexier looking whistle but I tried it in a shop and didn't like the tone of it much. I think the normal trad has a nicer tone even though it's a cheapy. Also this whistle is much heavier than the trad and I prefer lighter whistles due to some bad habits I have of not stabilizing the whistle properly on C# and B. Volume seemed the same to me.

http://www.kerrywhistles.co.uk/movies/Dixon_High_D.wmv
Pipe Bender
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Pipe Bender »

The DX006 is one of my favourite "pure sounding" whistles. Whereas the TRAD is a quiet whistle the DX006 is of medium volume and definitely much louder than the TRAD, but it's also an easy player. To possibly address Blaydo's post - depending on your tastes the DX006 is pure sounding i.e. it does not have a complex sound at all. The DX006 can also take a fair amount of blowing force when compared to the TRAD (although like all Dixon's the low octave D & E not so much).

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Blaydo's posting of the video on the comparison between the two is quite accurate as to how I find their respective sounds.
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

I have one of these, bought it after trying out loads of other whistles. I like the sound, the feel of it, the weight, the look. It's very easy to play. The only drawback is that it's a little quiet: I'm currently looking for a louder whistle for playing with melodeons & accordions, but it will only replace the Dixon on those occasions.
Pipe Bender

Post by Pipe Bender »

Anyanka wrote:it's a little quiet
The DX006 is louder than the TRAD, but it is not a loud whistle. Most Dixons aren't loud.
ducks

Post by ducks »

I've got one - bought it after trying every high D they had in the shop. It's a very nice whistle and frankly as loud as I'd want in a smallish room ;)
sophie
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

Blaydo wrote:This video should help you compare the two. I appreciate the one with the tuning slide is a much sexier looking whistle but I tried it in a shop and didn't like the tone of it much. I think the normal trad has a nicer tone even though it's a cheapy. Also this whistle is much heavier than the trad and I prefer lighter whistles due to some bad habits I have of not stabilizing the whistle properly on C# and B. Volume seemed the same to me.

http://www.kerrywhistles.co.uk/movies/Dixon_High_D.wmv
Nice playing. I've never played a Dixon Trad, quite like the sound of it, but still prefer the tunable alloy (DX006). Pipe Bender said it: it's pure sounding. That's what appealed to me. Makes it feel more versatile.