1930s/40s Saxette

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
EricTheFruitBat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

1930s/40s Saxette

Post by EricTheFruitBat »

Hi lovely whistle people
I've just bought a great little instrument from a guy in the USA. It's a Saxette. Made in about 1935, its like a whistle, six holed with an airway and blade but with a bell end and a dorsal hole like a recorder. Research on Google is very limited. Can anyone offer me any light?
I look forward to your replies
Eric The Fruit Bat :D
JackCampin

Re: 1930s/40s Saxette

Post by JackCampin »

Does the bell actually connect to the inside?

Some instruments like that were acoustically ocarinas - the end was closed.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

You might be able to find some more information by searching with the words Tonette and Flutophone. Different things but were all used as early school instruments around the same time.

The Dayton C. Miller collection has some info also.
Search DCM 1288b or Saxette
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I.D.10-t wrote:You might be able to find some more information by searching with the words Tonette..
Leonard Cohen's first instrument, for what that's worth. I suppose some might say it's his only instrument.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

These had just one octave, as I recall.
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

Looks rather like a dolled-up whistle :o
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

jim stone wrote:These had just one octave, as I recall.
From the Dayton C. Miller collection.
NOTES
In letter from Fitchhorn to DCM, 26 March 1937, he states: "You will note that this mouthpiece has resonance chamber of fixed capacity located under to [sic] air inlet which not only gives it more of the true flute quality, but permits the octaves to over blow in tune. It has take[n] not a little time and experimental work to get the right capacity and by test you will note that the 'D' (all six holes closed) will octave in very good tune and the same is true with all other tones up to 'B' which only comes in true with the first and last hole closed. I am still keeping the tempered 'G' scale with 'C' natural played by closing the second hole with the second finger. I am told that Saxette is the first end blown flute tuned to play the G scale; all other[s] tuned for the 'D' scale."
Their collection has 2 versions of the Saxette, one with a metal head and one with a black synthetic one. Also, they have different hole spacing and hole sizes from each other.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
EricTheFruitBat

Thank you all very much for your replies...very helpful.
Said 'beast' has now arrived safely in the UK, all the way from Ohio. Bearing in mind it was probably manufactured between 1940 and 1950, it is in extraordinary condition. The nickel plating is of extremely high quality. The intonation is perfect with a very pleasing 'flute like' tone. The change from low to high octave is smooth and effortless. Fingering is exactly the same as any other whistle and in answer to the posted question, the bell is connected. I bought it knowing that the mouthpiece was slightly damaged. It's plastic and has been subject to heat damage sometime during its 70 odd years; twisted and cracked but still doing its job ok. However, I would really like to have a replacement made; do any of you lovely people know of a whistle craftsman in the UK (or overseas if necessary) who maybe able to make one?
I look forward to any leads
Bye for now guys n gals and thanks again
Eric The Fruit Bat
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

EricTheFruitBat wrote:However, I would really like to have a replacement made; do any of you lovely people know of a whistle craftsman in the UK (or overseas if necessary) who maybe able to make one?
What is the outside diameter of the tube (body) at the head end? And how far onto the tube does the mouthpiece extend? It's possible there's a ready-made substitute that might work.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
EricTheFruitBat

Hi again
Sorry for delay in getting back...major,nasty,horrible virus thingy totally destroyed my hard drive! Still not 100% but getting there.
Thank you for your message MT. The dimensions are as follows:

Outer diameter of tube: 11/16" (17.5mm)
Length of insertion into mouthpiece: 19/32" (15mm)

Hope that's useful info. Ready made would be cool if anyone knows of where I could obtain one.
Thanks for all your help guys.
C ya soon
Eric
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Sorry about your HD ... glad you're up and running again.
EricTheFruitBat wrote:Outer diameter of tube: 11/16" (17.5mm)
Length of insertion into mouthpiece: 19/32" (15mm)
You might try a Sweetone or Meg C head. The diameter is 17.3mm, or just about 11/16"; you could sand it out a bit if needed. And the maximum insertion is about 16mm. So it may just work. And at a cost of only £3 for a Meg C, it's a cheap experiment. :-)

Good luck!

Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

The "Saxette" is basically a Brass "Shalumeau" Clarinet (right side of photo)
http://www.gremlinmusic.co.uk/headpics/gr275x.jpg
Adding speaker holes and twinholes can improve the range and chromatic notes to this instrument. I'll bet the ID is close to 14mm-16mm, just like a modern clarinet.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Oh, so it's a single reed like a sax or the xaphooniums in that photo? I thought, from Eric's description and photo (which is hard to make out) that it's a fipple flute with a cute name. If not, then of course my Meg C suggestion is probably out the window.

I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

From the Dayton C. Miller description of "DCM 1288b: Elver Joseph Fitchhorn / Saxette (Vertical Whistle Flute)":
Physical Description: 1 piece, cylindrical. See DCM 1288a. The fipple end is modified with a plastic mouthpiece. The Langwill index refers to this instrument or the patent for it as a "Song Flute."
It's a whistle
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I.D.10-t wrote:It's a whistle
Ah, thanks ID. So the Sweetone/Meg head might work.