M&E Rudall & Rose and Seery Pratten Flute Comparison

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I thought it would be interesting to record a sound comparison of Michael Cronnolly's new Rudall & Rose model flute, and Desi Seery's large-holed Pratten model, since I feel these are the two polymer flutes most likely to appeal to an advanced flutist.

Here is the reel "Lucky in Love," played first on the M&E and then on the Seery:

http://www.flutesite.com/samples/rudallseerycomp.mp3

This M&E is the same model flute that Michael Eskin has for sale in a separate thread.

Best wishes to all for a safe and happy new year,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
BillG

Post by BillG »

James - great MP3! If my life were on the line and I was required to say which flute was which (assuming I didn't know) OR even if two different flutes - or one - were being played, I fear I would become history!

I play the older M&E and the latest Seery and there is a vast difference between them. Not so in the above demo - according to these ears.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

I thought the first flute played sounded much stronger than the second, which is interesting because Rudalls are supposed to be quieter that Prattens. I guess maker (design) variation accounts for that.

My goodness James, that was fast. I was out of breath just listening to it.

~J
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

My sentiments, exactly!
I actually liked the sound of the M&E best ~ it's nice to get a comparison like that!
Mary
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Thanks for the kind comments! :smile:

If you look at the waveform using a sound editor (I use GoldWave, but any should do), you can see that there actually isn't really any difference in volume level between the two flutes, even though there is a subjective difference.

I attribute this to the different kinds of tone the flutes have. With the M&E R&R, you have a big hard-edged sound...but it's essentially a purer sound. In whistle terms, less "chiffy."

The Seery Pratten has that characteristic dry, reedy Pratten sound. The sound is harsher, grittier, and thicker...and some of your volume goes towards making it that way.

When playing the two flutes in session, the Seery still cuts through in a way the M&E R&R does not, although both are certainly fine flutes for session work.

Of the two, the M&E is the easiest to play; the flip side is that the Seery can be thrashed harder and will take more air.

I look forward greatly to my Hammy--be sure I will post some comparisons after I've had it a bit, to show just exactly where these polymer flutes lie on the scale compared to one of very best Irish flutes out there.

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

James: That will be good. I, for one, look forward to your comparison with the Hamilton. Anybody else have some flute comparison mp3's they'd like to share?