chanter question

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
henryr
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

chanter question

Post by henryr »

I have a chanter with 8 finger holes and a keyed hole, near the top of the chanter, above all the finger holes. The key is missing, however, there is a small dovetailed cutout for the key pivot. What is the purpose of that key? I have searched the web for hours and have not found a chanter with this keyed hole. I am using an oboe reed to play it. With all holes, including the keyed hole, covered it plays G. With the keyed hole uncovered it plays G an octave higher. Is it an octave key? Why have I not found any chanters like this one?

Thanks,
Henry Rancourt
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: chanter question

Post by PJ »

Probably for 3rd octave D.
PJ
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

welcome to c&f.
a couple of pictures would be most helpful to give you an answer.. Possible?

One thing I can tell you for certain is that an oboe reed will not function properly in an uilleann pipe chanter.

the pitch you are listening for,
with all holes closed,
is concert D,
a whole step above middle C.
henryr

Post by henryr »

Thanks for the replies. I am a flute player and plan to use this chanter with the oboe reed on my next gig. I play jazz and blues and like the chanter sound for some of Coltrane's and Charles Lloyd's songs and other's as well. My question was to find out what type of chanter it is, because after searching the web for hours, I have not found a chanter with, right or wrong, what I call an octave key.
Thanks,
Henry Rancourt
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

If this is an uilleann pipe chanter at all, it would be a very rare coincidence indeed if it produced a useful scale with an oboe reed. Please correct me if I'm wrong but from your posting I guess you have only the chanter, no chanter top, bag and bellows? In this case, DO NOT play the chanter directly or you will ruin it sooner or later - UP chanters are not designed to be mouth-blown.
A photograph would be very helpful. If the hole is in line with the other front holes it is probably a key for 3rd octave E (which is found very rarely). If it is at a 90° angle from the other holes it is for 3rd octave D (which is also not found too often), in this case there should be another key block further down the chanter as this key is quite long, being operated by the bottom hand.
However, if this is the only key on this chanter (well, if it were there...) I have the suspicion that your instrument might not be an uilleann pipe chanter at all but something different. If you post a pic, someone will definitely be able to give you more information.
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Tried an old oboe reed in my up chanter and it played between e and eb as the bell note so it is probably not an UP chanter

A quick, literally one minute search of the web found what it probably is and a photograph will confirm. You can host a photo on a site like photobucket and then link it to here

Check your PM's

John
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

i have some vague memory of a pipemaker named Arie deKyser (sp?) who made a type of Belgian pipe with a two octave chanter, top 8ve reached by means of an octave key...G is a common key for continental pipes.
but really without a picture its like the tale of the 'blind men & the elephant'. no telling what you have until there s some visual :)
btw, 'trane's old house is just a bus ride away, for me.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Oh please don't mouth blow this thing until you/we know what it is! What if it is the "Strad" of uilleann chanters and you ruin it? And for a gig? Yipes.

Respectfully submitted,

tommykleen
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
henryr

Post by henryr »

Thanks for all for the replies,

How does mouth blowing ruin it?

Thanks,
Henry Rancourt
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Mouth blowing can ruin uilleann pipe reeds because they are designed to be played with dry air.

I'm not sure to what extent mouth blowing would damage the chanter itself. Does the bore of a clarinet need special treatment/coating/cleaning?
PJ
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

The oboe reed is meant to be mouth blown so not ruining the reed.
All my flutes are uncoated wood so no real danger there.
Still would be great to identify the chanter for you.
Email me a picture and I,ll host it for you.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I regularly bore-oiled my clarinet back in the day when I played such things.

I find it hard to believe that other mouth-blown winds are not oiled in some fashion by the maker. Are they :-?

t
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

I suppose the wood could swell if it's an antique and crack at a ferrule. Or the wind cap.
Still you should be able to tell t least what type of chanter it is by looking at how flared it is.
Does it look more like a border pipe or highland chanter (or French / continental ) wide flare or relatively narrow flare uilleann flare, or is a musette or taragoto or bombarde type thing.
Do we know how old it is?
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

All mouth-blown woodwind instruments need to be be oiled from time to time, the wetter they are blown, the more often.
Many uilleann pipes are made from ebony which, as opposed to african blackwood, most certainly will crack when getting wet and dry again frequently. Many other timbers are prone to cracking, too, if not treated right.
Boxwood instruments will warp to a much greater extent when mouth blown.
Anyhow, I wouldn't do a gig with an instrument of which I don't even know what it is, I'd be too scared there might be someone who can play it right...
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Couldn't be some sort of a stop key, could it?
How near the top of the chanter is this mysterious unkeyed hole?

I like the Belgian pipes or ... maybe some kind of bombarde-like object (does it have a bell)? ... option.

Meanwhile, Chris Bayley has listed a buncha bagpipe varieties here:

http://www.bagpipeworld.co.uk/az.html

Good luck!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.