Varnishing Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Varnishing Flutes

Post by Casey Burns »

For years I've been using a standard wood turner's finish of simple raw purified linseed oil "activated" by a few drops of super glue (it jumpstarts the polymerization process). But lately, out of concern of sending flutes from Seattle's wet climate in the winter to places like Colorado where the indoor humidity is in the single digits, I've been varnishing my flutes using an off the shelf polyurethane type varnish. It seems to go well over my linseed oil and superglue finish, and certainly retards the transferring of moisture in and out of the flute wood. I may be violating the fat over lean rules but it seems to work.

Old flutes, including some boxwood Rudalls I have examined, seem to have a shellac based varnish, French polished.

Other makers - do you use anything? I'm curious what others do out there.

Casey
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Varnishing Flutes

Post by Gabriel »

Oil only here. I like the looks of highly polished shellac finishes, but prefer a "satin" surface as I imagine it's less slippery...
flutemaker

Post by flutemaker »

Hi,
it depends what timber I use...
On some I use just oils, that means I start with tung oil and then finish with Danish oil and furniture wax to polish it.

On others, I use (after sanding up to 1200 and 0000 wire wool in grain direction) Cellulose Sanding sealer, that I thinned down with nitro cellulose thinners. It's horrible stuff, BUT it dries quickly, once it's dry it IS dry, there's no lingering smell whatsoever and it's definitely dry, not like Polyurethane that seems to stay somewhat tacky in some cases, which probably has something to do with the natural oils in the timber. On Cocobolo for example it never dried (testpiece that I left for months - still tacky...)

The Sanding sealer can be applied with a brush (that I leave in the glass jar, so I don't ever have to clean it...and it won't dry up either) and then the excess wiped off with a rag. Then once it's dry, I sand it again, just a light sand depending on look, then I use either sanding dealer again, this time spinning in the lathe, or wiping it on very quickly with a rag, that creates a very nice smooth finish. I also use a button polish that I bought years ago in Germany that works a charm. I am not sure if you can still get this (Hallo Steffen, wie geht's? Alles klar?...) still, but I bought a few litres of it and use about 50ml a year, you don't need much...

To keep the Danish oil fresh, I hold my blowtorch into the bottle, WITHOUT FLAME of course!, and let some of the gas drive out the air in the bottle, the propane/butane mix is heavier and drives the oxygen out of the bottle, that way it lasts WAY longer...Got this trick from my time doing photo prints in a dark room and we used protection spray from Tetenal to protect our solutions from going off...

I hope that helps,
Maurice
http://www.reviol.co.nz
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Only oil.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I keep reading the thread title as "Vanishing Flutes". :oops:

Sorry, carry on ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

MTGuru wrote:I keep reading the thread title as "Vanishing Flutes". :oops:

Sorry, carry on ...
I thought that was the title too...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Jon C. wrote:
MTGuru wrote:I keep reading the thread title as "Vanishing Flutes". :oops:

Sorry, carry on ...
I thought that was the title too...
... and me ... oh dear ... :oops:
Denny

Post by Denny »

bloody pessimists :really:

or is that backwards?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I didn't misread it, but I thought of the r-less version forthwith......

As for Casey's oiling Q, I'm not really qualified to comment, but observation of my small bits of work on cocus make me wonder if there is any point in oiling/need to oil it at all? The stuff polishes up to a nice gloss on its own (no need for French Polish/shellac preparations) and I have my (unscientific, but I'm sure I've read stuff somewhere....) doubts about it actually absorbing anything (except water). As for box and blackwood and other timbers, I really can't comment.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Actually the flutes get varnished a few days before they mysteriously vanish. Last year 128 of them vanished. This usually takes place at the Post Office.

Casey
flutemaker

Post by flutemaker »

True, African Blackwood and Cocus propably too (haven't used cocus myself...) don't really need oiling, they are pre-oiled by nature really. i just use some Danish oil there to bring out the colour...
Maurice
www.reviol.co.nz
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Actually, I find that these do need oiling. Especially in the bores where the natural oils get leached out by playing. But I am asking about varnishing the outside here as a finishing technique, not simply oiling it.

From the sounds of it a practice not uncommon in the 19th century is pretty much nonexistent in the 21st, except for a few makers. There are good reasons for applying a layer or layers of varnish. Making the flute more robust in dry climates, as well as keeping the surface clean - especially for boxwood which has a way of picking up dirt.

Casey
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

FWIW, quite a few American flutes from the last third of the 1800's, to even the first decade or so of the 20th century, were made from true Cuban Cocus, Brya Ebenus. Even some of the more 'budget' oriented ones, the four key models with GS keys were made from cocus because there seemed a robust supply in the USA. It's well known that some people are subject to contact dermatitis from this wood, and a relatively cheap and easy way to seal the wood away from the skin would be the shellac/french polish finish that seemed the vogue.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
killthemessenger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by killthemessenger »

Little do I know of flutes, but I believe Martin Wenner does a French polish finish on some of his baroque flutes and recorders. Maybe other makers do so as well, but he is the only one I've seen to actually state it on his website.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

My Wood and Ivy flute has the french polish/shellac style finish. Hard to tell, but I think the bore has been treated as well. Certainly makes for particulary smooth and comfortable handling with just enough "tooth" to not be slippery. Of all the flutes I've played this finish seem the most user friendly, at least from a playing standpoint.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen