Anyone singing Sean-nós?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Mettadore
antispam: No

Anyone singing Sean-nós?

Post by Mettadore »

This borders the line between reply and post. The recent post on aires was pretty close to where my headspace has been lately. It strikes me that learning (or, more accurately, attempting) to sing Sean-nós would help my aires (doing slow tones and actually having embouchure would help too, probably!)

Of course, I could just listen to them, sure, but I'm also learning a wee Gaelic and thought it would be nice to combine them and really dig down into some of these tunes and sing them as a way to really feel where they are coming from when I play.

Anyone else doing this? Anyone got a list of nice Sean-nós tunes they like?

The ones I'm looking for are:

Arran boat (I'm playing this at a St. Patty's party, actually, be nice to sing it once through maybe)
Aisling Gheal (what brought this Native American flute player to Irish flute in the first place- that's a Native tune!!)
Si bheag si mhor (This song seems to bore people, but I just love it. It's another Native sounding tune to me)
Amhrán na leabhar (Never heard this one before, but after hearing it sung by Lorcán Mac Mathúna, I really love it)
John Metta
Almost able to play a whole tune on his Ormiston Pratten
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Re: Anyone singing Sean-nós?

Post by NicoMoreno »

I just wanted to point out that it's spelled "air" and "airs". No e. FWIW, the terminology in irish traditional music is generally agreed that an air is the melody to any song, while slow air is specifically the melody to a sean-nós (literally "old style") song, an english language song in the same style, or a piece that follows the same style, that may or may not have originally been a song.

Also, Patty is to Patricia what Paddy is to Patrick.

That said, only two of the pieces on your list are sean-nós songs that would make slow airs: Aisling Gheal and Amhrán na leabhar. Assuming of course you mean the Aisling Gheal that I'm thinking of, which is definitely an irish piece...

I play a few airs that I've learned bits of the songs for, including the Yellow Bittern, the Old Man Rocking the Cradle, the Green Fields of Canada (all of which I'd classify as slow airs). I generally learn airs that are english language songs, because I don't speak irish at all. I would only learn english language songs to sing, but I also play airs to a few irish songs, like Valencia Harbour (aka amhran na leabhar or the song of the books).
Tjones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tjones »

John

Since you're in Hood River, this might be of interest to you: http://www.seannos.org/

It's the 5th annual Sean-nós Northwest festival in Portland on Feb 17 ~ 19th.

Tjones
Mettadore

Post by Mettadore »

NicoMoreno wrote:I just wanted to point out that it's spelled "air" and "airs". No e. FWIW, the terminology in irish traditional music is generally agreed that an air is the melody to any song, while slow air is specifically the melody to a sean-nós (literally "old style") song, an english language song in the same style, or a piece that follows the same style, that may or may not have originally been a song.

Also, Patty is to Patricia what Paddy is to Patrick.
Point taken. I'll definitely be much more careful.
NicoMoreno wrote:Assuming of course you mean the Aisling Gheal that I'm thinking of, which is definitely an irish piece...
My comment was actually a bit of a joke, because when I first heard it I actually started crying because it sounded so much like a Native tune that my grandfather would have sung.

I'll add these to my list. Thank you.
John Metta
Mettadore

Post by Mettadore »

Tjones wrote:John

Since you're in Hood River, this might be of interest to you: http://www.seannos.org/
Most assuredly! I can't believe I didn't know about that. It looks like there's even some Gaelic language workshops!
John Metta
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

A good start would be listening to Joe Heaney [urhttp://ceolalainn.blogspot.com/2011/07/joe-heaney-gabriel-osullivan-joe-gabe.htmll][/url]
I will search about forsomeother resources, but you also mught google PashaDragutRei's channel on Youtube. There are some rare cd's that are periodically available. Somewhere in a cupboard I have a couple of cassettes, I'll see if I can get details. Joe Heaney spent a summer or so at the University of Washington School of Ethno-Musicology and they have several hundred hours of tape of him singing and discussing the tradition. They could be helpful.
A Mother and Daughter from Barna have a CD. out. If memory serves me correctly there is a little sean-nos on the album 'Mouth Music'.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

A friend of mine helped put this together (Virginia on the team list): http://www.joeheaney.org/

Enjoy!

Another of my favourites is Paddy Tunney. There are lots of others I could recommend, but this will do for now.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

For reading, you'll want to get a copy of 'Blas Meala',(A Sip from the Honey-pot) by Brian O Rourke. Also, and this may be the tricky bit, a copy of Pale Rainbow-An Dubh Ina Bhan. . .the two cassette album I was speaking about. I believe the Mckenzie sister did a littl Sean Nos as well as general Gaelic singing, and there are some bits and snippets of Elizabeth Crotty. . .unfortunately done when she was old, frail, and in ill-health.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Colm O'Donnell
fine flute player and singer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RUE01N1VK0
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

If we broaden our scope a bit, and take Sean-nós to mean the old styles of Irish unaccompanied singing in both Irish and English, the field is a bit richer. The old singers did not exist in a vacuum. . .they were surrounded both by native gaelic speakers, partial bi-glots, and others who had had the gaelic beaten out of them The songs survived through the power of their beauty and emotion. . .even surviving poor translations. Two modern singers, who might be more accessible would be Len Graham and his wife Pádragín Ní Uallacháin. They have done albums solo and together. Len was just in the Northwest this past year. . .
Have a great journey!

Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

A recent, and lovely interpretation of a gaelic air, was posted by a member ,named LineyBear: Casadh an tSugain. Often sung to accompaniment, as exampled in Micheal O'Domhnaill's singing, but originally an unaccompanied lament. Yet another thread to pickup would be An Góilín, the tradtional singing club in Dublin. which has a series of CD's and a list of events, often featuring really old-school
Sean-nós.

Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Peewit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Peewit »

David Migoya wrote:Colm O'Donnell
fine flute player and singer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RUE01N1VK0
Thanks for this. A great rendition of this song!! I have to look for him playing the flute now. :D
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings
Peewit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Peewit »

Nell Ní Chroinín is a young sean-nos singer from Co. Cork. She sings two songs on the Raw Bar Collective's CD "Millhouse Measures" and there are many YouTube videos of her; here she sings one that's on the CD, called 'Na Táillúiri'.

Three tailors go into a pub and get into an argument about who is the most skilled. The bar man tries to separate them when they start to fight, and gets a kick in the backside. The chorus describes them as the old tailor with the big nose, the younger tailor with the big feet, and the sour, angry one from Killarney. I wrote to Nell and asked her what the song was about since I'm trying to learn it. It's catchy :D

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... e=view_all
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

A brilliant rendition of An Mhaighdean Mhara by an eleven year old Niamh McElduff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffn2MXc6 ... re=related.

Bob

Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi