New Gallagher Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
toddyboy50
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New Gallagher Flute

Post by toddyboy50 »

Greetings,

Usually a lurker here, but I felt compelled to post about the new flute I recently received from John Gallagher, a large holed R&R model in delrin. I've owned an Olwell, Wilkes, Cochran and tried a variety of other very well made flutes over the years and, I think I'm at a playing point where I can reasonably compare the qualities of different flutes. All flutes of course have their strong and weak points, and I appreciate that each player has a unique style and desire for what they want in their ideal flute - so, for sure, no one size fits all. Still, I think it's useful for those thinking about getting a new flute (which is almost everyone on this board, given our disorder) to hear other's impressions about instruments that they may not have the opportunity to directly test - so here's my subjective and objective thoughts about this Gallagher flute...

First off, for me it's hand's down the most "playable" flute I've ever used. By this, I mean both satisfying to play and allows me to produce the best sound dynamics relative to what I look for - which is very evenly balanced instrument across all the notes and octaves, capable of wide variation in tonal colors, very focused and loud, and quite responsive to even low volume of breath. The combination of big holes and a relatively narrow bore, under John's craftsmanship, seems to create unique sound characteristics that come together in a wonderful (I could say magical, but won't) way.

So this flute is really fun to play and passed my acid test - several people, including my wife who by now rarely pays attention to my playing, actually noticed and remarked how much nicer this flute sounds - the ultimate validation that it's not just me.

I could describe the flute with all the adjectives I've see in many reviews, but they all start to run together to me after a while. Suffice to say that for me this is the ideal flute, and I am blown away with John Gallagher's skill, as well as humility. He is very responsive to work with - at this point, his turnaround times are remarkably short and he's very flexible. My rating = Five Stars out of five.

Regards,
Tod

[img=http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/6917/dsc0186gu.th.jpg]
[img=http://imageshack.us/thumbnmail.png]
Last edited by toddyboy50 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Akiba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Re: New Gallagher Flute

Post by Akiba »

sound clips? pictures?

(a few hours later....)

thanks for the clip and pictures. looks and sounds like an excellent flute, something akin to a good Murray, another large-holed Rudall.
Last edited by Akiba on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skyspirit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by skyspirit »

Akiba wrote:sound clips? pictures?

It would be interesting to compare this one to the one that you play in your clips. I know. I know. They are different. Yours is a small hole if I remember correctly.

I enjoy your playing in that clip by the by.
Learning how to learn....my music teacher
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I heartily second everything Tod said. I think my Gallgher flute (8-key Pratten) has cured me of FOAD (at least for the immediate future!). I'm also lucky enough to see John in person relatively frequently and will again this year when I go to the Augusta Irish Week this July. You should hear him play the fiddle he made for himself!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Do you have a small-holed rudall, Pat?

I would love to play one of these, but irish fluters here in st. Louis are as rare as hens' teeth.
I suspect the Gallagher may do what some of my flutes already do, e.g. the Byrne,
and I'm unwilling to pay money to find out. Ah well.
toddyboy50

Post by toddyboy50 »

I put a link up to some pics of the flute... Tod
Last edited by toddyboy50 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

jim stone wrote:Do you have a small-holed rudall, Pat?

I would love to play one of these, but irish fluters here in st. Louis are as rare as hens' teeth.
I suspect the Gallagher may do what some of my flutes already do, e.g. the Byrne,

I think that the AKiba clip is one. Correct?

:D

Here http://www.box.com/shared/yc6klj1vvh#/s ... 82381090/1
Learning how to learn....my music teacher
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

skyspirit wrote:
jim stone wrote:Do you have a small-holed rudall, Pat?

I think that the AKiba clip is one. Correct?

:D

Here http://www.box.com/shared/yc6klj1vvh#/s ... 82381090/1
Yep, it's the small-holed Gallagher Rudall in that clip.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

@Jim: Um - like I said in my post, mine is a Pratten.

Pat
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

Here's a clip of me on my 8 key large holed Rudall from John:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmbVEEY-Khc

Extremely powerful, extremely efficient, great response, fantastic tone. Hands down the best flute model I have ever played. I am very lucky to be the owner(on the inspiration) of the first one he made. John had a really cool old Rudall in his shop that I wanted a replica of. He did just that and made the necessary adjustments so the flute plays at 440.
toddyboy50

Post by toddyboy50 »

Nice playing!
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have an 8 key Pratten from him as well and it is something else alright, bought it off of another forum member last year and I couldn't be happier with it. I've played a lot of the top makes out there and the Gallagher is as good if not better than the others. I'd buy more of his flutes in other keys if I had any money for them. I think there are some vids on youtube of me playing it, you can search my real name (in the sig) if interested.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Did you pay less for delrin?
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
toddyboy50

Post by toddyboy50 »

I think delrin is pretty much the same price as the wooden flutes.... the makers I've talked to say that they are at least the same difficulty to work with, and some even prefer not to. While the aesthetics of wood are great, I've gone all to Delrin now, as I end up playing the flute so much more - you can take them anywhere without worry, they can stay ready-assembled, and IMHO there is no discernable difference in the sound. - Tod
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

I suspect the only benefit from a makers' perspective is that delrin is consistent. I don't know how many pieces of ABW John throws away every year, but I know he throws some away 'cause I've seen a few! Lots of times the maker can't tell if there's a flaw in the wood until he's fairly far along in the process.

Pat