Whistle key above high D?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistling Pops
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Whistle key above high D?

Post by Whistling Pops »

Since I have GOT to get my WHOAD under control I am going to have to make a final choice as to what whistle (translate that LAST whistle) key to buy. I am pretty sure my last whistle will be another Burke (really like the five I have already). I want to buy something higher pitched than a D. I don't presently have any whistle higher pitched than D. If you could own only one whistle above a D, what key would it be? I have played someone else's Eb and like the sound. I have no idea how to compare say an E or F. I have never had the opportunity to play either. By the way, I will probably never play with anyone else. So whatever sounds good solo works for me.
A flock of crows can bring an eagle down...but it doesn't make the eagle any less.
brewerpaul

Re: Whistle key above high D?

Post by brewerpaul »

You say you'll probably never play with anyone else... if that's true, you're depriving yourself of some of the great joy of making music.
Please don't rule it out. Find a nice newbie friendly session and give it a try.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I like whistles of different keys. I don't understand why you'd want to go higher than a D. Do you want blood to come out of ears? Do you want your pets to hate you? Have you considered getting whistles in keys lower than D?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Well if you fancy playing along with old De Danann recordings, a Eb whistle is mandatory :)
Apart from that i agree that anything more shrill than a high D isn't very desireable..
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

I love my Ebs. They have a little brighter sound than a D. Micho Russell and Mary Bergen play whistles above D also. I occasionally play an F. But if you are not going below D you are missing out on some wonderful Bbs.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I have old high-F and high-G Generations and almost never play them... In fact, the high-G has such tiny finger spacing that it can't be played at all unless you kinda offset your fingers. I'd say the highest usable key is F. I will say that they both sound nice until you get about halfway up the upper octave.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Whistling Pops wrote:Since I have GOT to get my WHOAD under control I am going to have to make a final choice as to what whistle (translate that LAST whistle) key to buy.
We shall see, we shall see! :)
Whistling Pops wrote:If you could own only one whistle above a D, what key would it be?
I do not think it is possible to answer that question, personally speaking. Only one whistle? Really?

But let's be practical about this. You like Burke whistles. That's a good thing, IMO. Mike makes whistles up to the key of high G, more keys than most makers offer. Speaking strictly in defense of dogs and small rodents of the world, the high F and G whistles are really too small and high pitched to be very practical, except as weapons of torture, in the hands of adult men. I can finger an F but the G is really too cramped for my fingers. So if you really have an interest or even a curiosity about those pitches buy the Generations whistles in those keys. They work well, IMO. Buying both would set you back $15-$16 or so and you'd find out if that's what you want to play. So make a plan to buy those sometime. And no one has to know you bought two more whistles. They're so small that no on will notice and you can hide the high G inside the high F whistle. :)

Burke offers a high F#. I had to make a low F# whistle for a project last week. I've had never seen a need for that key anywhere previous to that particular project. And I never planned to design or make one in that key. It may be the ultimate obscure key for a whistle. Do you like obscure? But again, it will be small, cramped and really high pitched. What can your ears stand?

So then there are high Eb and the high E whistles. I do have Burkes in both of those keys. I have Eb's in both brass and aluminum. They are very nice whistles - much like a Burke narrow bore D. Yes Eb is a key that occurs in recorded music with some regularity. So it's a useful key to have on hand. But it's only a half step difference from a high D. So Eb is not all that different a sonic experience.

So that leaves high E. It's a useful key. It's a full step higher than your high D's. And Mike Burke makes a terrific high E whistle. There are a few whistles that just make me giggle when I play them. For pure giggle factor the Burke high E cannot be beat. It's sized so it can be played by adult hands. It is as sweet sounding as an oriole in the Spring. The word shrill is not to be associated with the Burke high E. It's clean and sweet all the way. And the keys of E and A are common keys in recorded (and live) music. That's what I'd humbly suggest you go for as your last whistle purchase.
Whistling Pops wrote:By the way, I will probably never play with anyone else. So whatever sounds good solo works for me.
"Never say never", you're missing out on something there if you never play with others.

Feadoggie
Last edited by Feadoggie on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

If you're limiting yourself to "just one more whistle", and it's got to be high pitch, I'd suggest getting the smallest/highest you can comfortable handle. As others have noted, a Generation "G" can be a bit of a squeeze in large hands, so you may have to limit yourself to an Eb or F, but if your fingers will fit, go for it. If you have an opportunity, you may also want/like to try a sopranino recorder, effectively a "G" whistle (almost), these often have offset holes to make for a more comfortable fit. Even more alternative, an in-line ocarina, like the MountainOcarina in "G", has effectively wider finger spacing, but it does have a more limited range than a whistle.
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Oh, Joanie Madden plays a Burke high E on a couple Cherish the Ladies CD's. One track is The Sunny Banks from the Woman of the House CD. Another is the Holly and the Berry from the On Christmas Night CD.

So give a listen. You'll sound just like that. Then decide.

Feadoggie
Whistling Pops

Post by Whistling Pops »

mutepointe wrote:I Have you considered getting whistles in keys lower than D?
I have 4 or 5 C's and 2 Bb's. Also, I have ordered, but not received, bodies in C and Eb to go with my Abell whistle. (probably won't be finished unti May). And I am going to have Paul make me a D+ when he gets the wood (olivewood) he is looking for. My last whistle choice is in addition to these that are in the pipeline. :D
A flock of crows can bring an eagle down...but it doesn't make the eagle any less.
Whistling Pops

Post by Whistling Pops »

Feadoggie wrote:[quote

So then there are high Eb and the high E whistles. I do have Burkes in both of those keys. I have Eb's in both brass and aluminum. They are very nice whistles - much like a Burke narrow bore D. Yes Eb is a key that occurs in recorded music with some regularity. So it's a useful key to have on hand. But it's only a half step difference from a high D. So Eb is not all that different a sonic experience.

So that leaves high E. It's a useful key. It's a full step higher than your high D's. And Mike Burke makes a terrific high E whistle. There are a few whistles that just make me giggle when I play them. For pure giggle factor the Burke high E cannot be beat. It's sized so it can be played by adult hands. It is as sweet sounding as an oriole in the Spring. The word shrill is not to be associated with the Burke high E. It's clean and sweet all the way. And the keys of E and A are common keys in recorded (and live) music. That's what I'd humbly suggest you go for as your last whistle purchase.
Whistling Pops wrote:By the way, I will probably never play with anyone else. So whatever sounds good solo works for me.
"Never say never", you're missing out on something there if you never play with others.
Feadoggie
Sounds like my last Burke whistle will be either E or Eb. I really appreciate input from everyone. I will find the Joanie Madden tunes and give a listen.
Whistling Pops

Post by Whistling Pops »

As far as playing with others, there is nothing I would enjoy more. But I know no one else that plays this type of music and I fear I will never be good enough to play with someone else. (I wouldn't want to mess someone else's playing up) However, I do plan on looking for a whistle teacher in the not-too-distant future and this would give me a chance to play with someone else.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Pops, sometimes an Irish session can be right around the corner without even knowing about it, especially here in the USA. Perhaps if you shared your location on here and/or search the database at www.thesession.org you might hopefully find more local players than you realized existed.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Whistling Pops wrote:I have ordered, but not received, bodies in C and Eb to go with my Abell whistle.
Whistling Pops wrote:Sounds like my last Burke whistle will be either E or Eb.
Since you will have an Abell in Eb why not go for the Burke in E?
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Whistling Pops wrote:....and I fear I will never be good enough to play with someone else. (I wouldn't want to mess someone else's playing up)
I used to think I would never be good enough to play in sessions but I learnt one or two easy tunes and joined in when I could. I've found that playing with other people makes me raise my game considerably. Don't be put off; you're probably capable of more than you imagine.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.