Anyone got a McGee Flute shipping soon? I need a cleaning s

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Okay, I've been trying to get a McGee Flute cleaning stick or two for months now, but haven't had any luck. At this point what I need to do is find someone who is about to get a flute from Terry and wouldn't mind giving my cleaning rods a piggyback ride over the ocean, and then forward them to me.

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it! :smile:

Loren
shoner

Post by shoner »

Or you could save yourself the trouble Loren and just go to your local hardware store and purchase a 3/8 hardwood dowel. Drill a slot in the end, cut to a workable length of 11-14 inches, mark your best cork placement depth on the end of it and your done. Plus you get the added satisfaction of oiling the stick every time you oil your flute. While you're at it go to your local goodwill resale shop and find some silk undergarments to cut up for a cleaning swab.
SuiZen

Post by SuiZen »

I don't have one of these, but they look pretty good. Might serve as a guide for making one.

http://www.wwbw.com/Item/?itemno=84846
Bill_D
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

Loren,

I know that Dan Bingamon was talking with Terry McGee about making the McGee cleaning rods at his shop and selling them in the United States. Dan does not appear to have them listed on his web site, but you can contact him via the site. Or, Dan, if you are reading this, maybe you could let everyone know the status.

Dan's site is
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... ubilee.htm

Dave Copley
Loveland Ohio
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Umm, not quite the same thing Shoner, not to mention that I don't have access to tools at the moment.

Thanks for the link SuiZen, but McGee's rods are a bit different than the usual flute cleaning rods, and that's why I'm specifically trying to get a hold of them.

Dave,

Hope you enjoyed the holidays! Thanks for the tip on Daniel's involvement: I had to unsubscribe from the woodenflute list just after Terry threw out the idea of having someone stateside make and supply them. I'll check with Dan and see what's up.

Best,

Loren
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Loren,

I'm sure you have contacted Terry... I'm suprized he won't send you one. Do they only come with his flutes? I have one (ordered with my flute) and it is worth getting!

Clark
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hi Clark, Haven't heard from you in a while! Hope all is well.

Yeah, I initially spoke with Terry about this and he convinced me that it would cost more in shipping to send one of his sticks, than the cost of the stick itself, about $20. So I asked if I could piggyback a couple of cleaning sticks with someone's order, but that never panned out....

I got to try one of his cleaning sticks when I had the RAF, and became convinced it's the only way to go, much like you. Geeze, I can't believe no one here has a McGee pending!

Loren
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Loren:

If you still don't have one by summer, let me know.

Jim
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Thanks Jim, much appreciated!

Hope I don't have to wait that long: I'm living where it's cold now, and I mostly have to practice in a room that's about 50 degrees F, so condensation forms almost constantly - the headjoint doesn't ever really warm up enough for it to quit - so I have to swab the whole flute out like every 15 minutes. Hmph. Maybe I should just treat the whole inside of my flute and headjoint with RainX, heh heh, that way all the moisture would run right out the end!

Loren