What's a "doody"?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

What's a "doody"?

Post by benhall.1 »

So, I've been watching a lot of a channel called "5 USA" today, with programmes like Frasier, CSI and NCIS. On the whole I think I'm coping with the language reasonably well, even without sub-titles. Who knows? One day, I may even become completely bilingual.

But I'm puzzled as to what the following words mean:

"Doody"
"Fyoodle" (which appears to mean something other than a "time-honoured and highly effective system of government")
"Fleadh" (which appears to mean something other than a "festival in Ireland")
"Error" (which appears to mean something other than a "mistake")

... and, most of all, a really puzzling one:

"Urrrbs" (Frasier says that one a lot, so I'm guessing it's something either really posh or possibly gay)

Can anyone help?

PS There are probably others but I may not even know that I don't know them. There are, after all, some things that I don't know I don't know.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: What's a "doody"?

Post by Nanohedron »

"Doody" = duty. Or excrement.
"Fyoodle" = futile.
"Fleadh" and "Error" I would have to hear in context.
"Urrrbs" = herbs (Martha Stewart and her ilk pronounce the H). Or, not the suburbs. Meaning the city proper. I use that one myself, thinking myself witty. Example: "I live in the 'burbs. Where do you live?" "In the urbs."
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Nanohedron wrote:"Doody" = duty. Or excrement.
Oh. How disappointing. I'd have thought it meant "of or pertaining to dude-dom/dudiness/dude-hood", &/or was a diminutive of "dude". ("Dude" meaning either a nattily or an ill-dressed fellow, of course...). And "dudiful" would be........ an excellent adjective.....

"Error" - I guess that would take ages to work out..... or a significant period, at least.

Following on from which, would it be time which "fleadhs" past..... in a seriously Southern accent, anyway?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

jemtheflute wrote:Following on from which, would it be time which "fleadhs" past..... in a seriously Southern accent, anyway?
That was my first guess, but it might be a presumption too far.

If the noun is "dude", the proper adjective is usually "dudely". "Dudesome": perhaps, but a bit stuffy. "Dudish" is just crass, but it might have its uses in describing a lack of femininity. "Dudeworthy" is an accolade indeed. "Dudeful", while serviceable, is very odd to my ears, but "dudefully" is a darned good adverb.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Nanohedron wrote: "Fleadh" and "Error" I would have to hear in context.
"Urrrbs" = herbs (Martha Stewart and her ilk pronounce the H). Or, not the suburbs. Meaning the city proper. I use that one myself, thinking myself witty.
Everyone in the UK bar the Cockneys aspirate the h in "herbs". We imagine youse Yengis picked that nasty habit of dropping the h as a French affectation, what with General Lafayette & Louisville, and whatnot, and generally siding with the frogs until recently.
Dunno how the Ozzies say it. Never heard a Ozzie nor a Kiwi read the back of the sauce bottle. (The HP sauce bottle has a paragraph beginning "a unique blend of herbs and spices...". It's typically where most English encounter the word.)

Ah yes. I thought "error" would be a vast extent of time.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:Following on from which, would it be time which "fleadhs" past..... in a seriously Southern accent, anyway?
Nah ... that's not it. I'll get it eventually. I've got my bilingual dictionary on the way from Amazon. (Though why they should have to ship it all the way from a South American jungle is beyond me. You'd think it would at least be from the bit above the narrow bit ...)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:I've got my bilingual dictionary on the way from Amazon. (Though why they should have to ship it all the way from a South American jungle is beyond me. You'd think it would at least be from the bit above the narrow bit ...)
No, no, you've got that wrong, I'm sure. Surely, Amazon is based in Sarmatia and staffed only by one-breasted warrior women....... (And if not, why not?!)

And, oh yes, we Brits have a distinct tendency to aspirate herbs........ Makes us cough a lot..... but hey,.....
We also tend to stay overnight in hotels, whereas Merkins prefer "autels".......
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

jemtheflute wrote:And, oh yes, we Brits have a distinct tendency to aspirate herbs........ Makes us cough a lot..... but hey,.....
And that's another story.
jemtheflute wrote:We also tend to stay overnight in hotels, whereas Merkins prefer "autels".......
How much wronger could you be!? Who told you this? Never believe him or her again. That is totally bereft of the truth. Besides, we stay in motels.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I remember there was a motel here in the UK once. I think it was in 1965.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

A passing fad, I imagine.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:A passing fad, I imagine.
No, I think people actually stayed there.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
I expected as much. There was central heating, right?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
I expected as much. There was central heating, right?
This is a catch, isn't it?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

There always is. :twisted: