Long F vs Short F advice

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Tonehole
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Long F vs Short F advice

Post by Tonehole »

Can anyone share their experience with using Long F vs short F in simple system flutes.

I had a flute which made the long F easy to reach and found the long F more useful than the F, except for E/Fnat trills and fingering. My fingering from Fnat to D and back again doesn't sound so good on the short F key but recently my left short finger is strained from overdoing it.

Are there any guidelines on when to use the long F rather than the short F?
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Long F vs Short F advice

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Pretty simple, long F for D/F and F/D passages, short F for everything else... (duh)
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I wonder how Nicholson, who I believe had only a short F key on hist flutes,
managed these D/F fingerings? What does one do if one only has short F?
Denny

Post by Denny »

have the touch angled a bit lower on the R3 side

it doesn't take much to remove the need to raise R3 more than wee bit
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Interesting. Thanks, Denny.
Denny

Post by Denny »

we drifted through this back in April
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87594&p=1067759
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

With regard to long vs. short, I have been advised that long is better.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

June NiChormaic, for one, has just the short F on her keyed flute. I use the short F most of the time. I can go from the Fn to the D without a perceptible pause but it took years to be able to do that. I am happy, though, to have the long F when I feel that I need it. Aaron Olwell told me years ago to use the little finger on the long F key because "that finger isn't doing anything so you might as well put it to use." But it doesn't respond as quickly for me as the short F key - a combination of a slow finger and, perhaps, a longer pivot point.
I think of keys on the flute as a car with a standard, rather than an automatic, transmission. You don't need instant access to a lower gear all the time but it's nice to have it there when you want it. It gives you more control over the vehicle. Likewise, I feel more in control of the flute - and the tune - when I know that I can hit the accidental cleanly.
I never played the whistle before picking up the flute. I came to the flute from the fiddle and very quickly moved to a keyed flute. I wanted to play those fiddle-friendly modal tunes, and keys felt useful and natural to me. Sometimes I get caught out playing the one instrument on a tune that fits better on the other. At the session last night I was playing the fiddle when a fluter launched the flute friendly Trim the Velvet. I was tempted to respond with The Jaundiced Itinerant but that kind of trash talk can ruin a friendly session.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Doug_Tipple wrote:With regard to long vs. short, I have been advised that long is better.
IME, the length isn't as important as the placement.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

benhall.1 wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:With regard to long vs. short, I have been advised that long is better.
I agree with Ben, but I find best results in having both.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Othannen wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
I agree with Ben, but I find best results in having both.
Agreed. Oh, and btw, I much prefer a long F myself. The short ones just don't do it for me any more. Although sometimes they can be nice.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Never mind the length, it's how you use it which counts!

I probably use mine about equally overall, but less so depending on key/mode context - one or other will tend to dominate. Of course, I routinely use one to vent most F#s as well...... again, as convenient contextually. I find short F to D slides awkward even with a sloped key - in fact I can only think of one context where I do that, where there is contextually no alternative, and I had to practice it quite a bit. I don't think I ever do D to F save with the long F.

One probably could work out guiding principles for when to use which, but I think common sense is adequate - just decide you're going to make proper use of them and get on with it. Mark up some chosen tunes' notations for practice if it helps.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Another one of those F'ing threads? :really:

Not sure if this helps, but there's also half-holing or complete abstinence. It's a problem note, to be sure.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

crookedtune wrote:Another one of those F'ing threads? :really:

Not sure if this helps, but there's also half-holing or complete abstinence. It's a problem note, to be sure.
Hmmm ... half-holing's risky, to say the least. I suppose there's always cross-fingering. But I'm not sure that would give you a proper F.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

The OP Q was about using the F keys, not about playing F nats as such. Generally English C19th and derived there-from flutes don't have a usable cross-fingered F nat. Half-holed F nats can be ok on whistle (where there's no alternative) for the odd accidental, but aren't really viable for playing in flat key signatures/tunes with lots of 'em. Probably ditto on flutes lacking F keys, but if you've got 'em.....
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads