Which foot for tapping rhythm?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Which leg do you use for tapping?

The leg the mainstock rests upon
9%
The opposite one
43%
Both
35%
None
13%
Legs? What's that?
No votes

Total votes: 23

ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Which foot for tapping rhythm?

Post by ChristianRo »

The "Why to the left" thread on the flute forum got me thinking about how different parts of the brain control our playing.
I read somewhere that the left hemisphere usually controls rhythm, whereas the right hemishpere is stronger at melody and pitch. So if it is also correct that either hemisphere controls the opposite part of the body, the right legs and arms should be better at keeping the rhythm, right? Makes perfect sense to me and it matches the way stringed instruments are usually played. Most drummers manipulate the bass drum with their right foot, too.
This got me thinking if I should switch from left-foot tapping to right-foot tapping to get an even steadier rhythm and more brain capacity for working the octopus. Especially when playing syncopated reg accompaniment, my tapping goes out of the window and I usually have to stop.
Which foot do you use for tapping? Have you tried switching and to what effect?
Christian
Jäger
antispam: No

Re: Which foot for tapping rhythm?

Post by Jäger »

I use my left leg, and I play right handed. I find this to be easier, since the main stock rests on my right leg, so the left one is pretty much free to do whatever the hell it wants to do, and it comes naturally since I'm originally a drummer, and the left foot is used to keep the time on the hi hat (which is usually the only steady rhythm for the feet, the kick moves around).

EDIT: Oh, and in regards to what Rory said, I'm a heel-tapper. Or, when I really get going, whole foot tapper.
Last edited by Jäger on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

I've also noticed that there are toe tappers and there are heel tappers .Should be option for that . I'm a right legged toe tapper

RORY
PS if your mainstock is resting on your leg ,thats one low set of pipes.
I'm Spartacus .
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Both. Of course.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

ChristianRo wrote:The "Why to the left" thread on the flute forum got me thinking about how different parts of the brain control our playing.
Actually, Christian, that was "Why to the right?".

Just use any ol' foot there, guy. :wink:

I'm pretty much a heel tapper. When I was in my pipering - righthanded - I invariably tapped with my left foot, as that was the one that was flat to the ground and the leg was also chanter-free. Tapping the chanter side meant a possible loss of control over the instrument. It was strictly a practical matter for me.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I typically don't so much tap with either foot, as bounce about with both whole legs travelling a foot or so off the floor and back at the same(ish) time.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Pipering may not be for you, then.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:bounce about with both whole legs travelling a foot or so off the floor and back at the same(ish) time.
Sitting or standing, Ben? (Yep, I know you're not talking uilleann pipes here!)

FWIW (from a flute/whistle/SSP perspective), I never 'stamp' like Ben, rarely feel comfortable tapping for long with my left foot (must be right-footed, eh?), but still occasionally change from right-footed tapping to a four-way heel-and-toe thing with both feet...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:...a four-way heel-and-toe thing with both feet...
Whenever I see that feat of legerdepied I am always struck with admiration and envy. Comes to tapping, I may not exactly galumph, but compared to your league, I'm pretty close.
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChristianRo »

Nanohedron wrote:
ChristianRo wrote:The "Why to the left" thread on the flute forum got me thinking about how different parts of the brain control our playing.

Stupid me :oops:
Christian
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

ChristianRo wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:

Stupid me :oops:
:)

Hell, you should see all the edit backpedaling I have to do.
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

Nanohedron wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:...a four-way heel-and-toe thing with both feet...
Whenever I see that feat of legerdepied I am always struck with admiration and envy. Comes to tapping, I may not exactly galumph, but compared to your league, I'm pretty close.
I find that very interesting too. I can understand it for reels, but it completely befuddles me how people do that while playing jigs or slides or any other tune that is based around groups of 3. :boggle:
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

I pipe right-handed (though I learned the whistle left-handed) and when I tap it's with the left foot, for the reasons already given.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

I'm completely spastic, and would be utterly mortified to know that someone noticed my errant foot, so I follow L.R.'s advice and try to refrain from tapping. God knows, I have enough to do with my other extremities. It really gets a laugh though, when I occasionally let some ankle twist uncontrollably about.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

An Draighean wrote:and when I tap
uillmann wrote:and try to refrain from tapping
Yep, I don't tap all the time either (prefer not to when I don't need to), but recognise that it helps me keep a tighter rhythm for dance tunes.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?