Eire

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Richard Katz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Eire

Post by Richard Katz »

Liam O'Flynn plays this air, Eire, on the CD "The Fire Aflame" - recorded by Liam O'Flynn, Matt Molloy, Sean Keane and Arty mcglynn.

I heard it first on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz1TLTR8hgo) and they gave the following ABC notation for it.

X:1 T:Eire M:3/4 L:1/4 R:Air K:G B/G/|:E2F|G2A|Bd2|-dBd|e2d|B-B­/A/ B/c/|BE2|-EGE| D2D|G2A|B2c/d/|B2G|A2G|F2A|G3|­B2c| B2G|E-E/F/ G/A/|Bd2|-dBd|e2d|B-B/A/ B/c/|BE2|-EGE| D2D|G2A|B2c/d/|B2G|A2G|F2A|G3|­GFG e2f|g2e/g/|f3|g2f|e2f|g2f|e2d|­B2B| e2d|e2f|g2a|f2B|f2g|e2d|e3-|e2­B e2d|e2f|g2e/g/|f2 g/f/|e2d|B-B/A/ B/c/|BE2|E2G/E/| D2D|G2A|B2c/d/|B2G|A2G|F2A|G3|­-G3

However, if you cut and paste it into an ABC converter it doesn't read. Any solution for this?

I would like to have the ABC notation so I can learn the tune.

Cheers! Richard
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Eire

Post by benhall.1 »

The first few bits are headers, and need to be on separate lines. Then the rest is easier to read (though this doesn't affect ABC converters) if you put a few judicious gaps in. Plus, there were one or two typos in there. I have probably missed some, because I was doing it in pretty much of a hurry. But try this in yer converter and smoke it! :D

X:1
T:Eire
M:3/4
L:1/4
R:Air
K:G
B/G/ |: E2F | G2A | Bd2 | -dBd | e2d | B-B/A/ B/c/ |
BE2 | -EGE | D2D | G2A | B2c/d/ | B2G | A2G | F2A |
G3 | ­B2c | B2G | E-E/F/ G/A/ | Bd2 | -dBd | e2d |
B-B/A/ B/c/ | BE2 | -EGE | D2D | G2A | B2c/d/ | B2G |
A2G | F2A | G3 | ­GFG e2f | g2e/g/ | f3 | g2f | e2f |
g2f | e2d | ­B2B | e2d | e2f | g2a | f2B | f2g | e2d |
e3- | e2­B e2d | e2f | g2e/g/ | f2 g/f/ | e2d | B-B/A/ B/c/ |
BE2 | E2G/E/ | D2D | G2A | B2c/d/ | B2G | A2G | F2A | G3 | -G3 ||
Richard Katz

Post by Richard Katz »

Wow, that was quick!

Many thanks benhall.1!

I can't wait to give it a go.

Cheers! Richard
Last edited by Richard Katz on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Richard Katz wrote:Wow, that was quick!

Many thanks benhall.1!

I can't to give it a go.

Cheers! Richard
No probs. Now ... let me know if you can't get it to convert. That block should now convert using the tune-o-matic in concertina.net or ABC Navigator or something like that. Sometimes, you find with concertina.net that the thing has put spaces at the beginning of lines and you have to take them all out for it to show, but otherwise, it should work fine now.
Richard Katz

Post by Richard Katz »

I used the tune-o-matic in concertina.net and it worked great!
Again, many thanks!
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Richard Katz wrote:I used the tune-o-matic in concertina.net and it worked great!
Again, many thanks!
Good. And you're welcome. :)
jdevereux

Post by jdevereux »

I would like to have the ABC notation so I can learn the tune.
That's what your ears are for.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

jdevereux wrote:That's what your ears are for.
Yes. Unfortunately, there are those who can't do that. And in my experience, just pointing out that they should be able to do that doesn't make them ... do that. :wink:

Richard, people (including myself, as you know!) are always happy to help with the dots, especially knowing that your requests are often for a specific purpose, client requests, etc. But I do wonder why you're not further along with the ear thing, since you're clearly a good piper.

Is it notation or ABC notation that's the obstacle, or retaining what you hear, or something else? Is there anything we can advise to help?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

Here's another take on the tune. It's been gathering dust in my pc and this is a good time to air it out.

T:Eire
R:air
D:Liam O'Flynn
Z:Bill Reeder
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:G
B3G EFGA|Bd d4 Bd|e3d B2 AB/c/|B<E-E4 GE|!
D3E G3 A|B c/d/ B4 G2|A3G FGAF|1 G8:|2 G6FG|!
e3f g2eg|f6 gf|e3f g2 fe|dB-B3 z B2|!
e3f g3a|f6 B2|f3g e3d|e4 z2 B2|!
e3d efga|f6 gf|e3d B2 A B/c/|B<E-E4 GE|!
D3E G3A|B c/d/ B4 G2|A3G F3A|G8||
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
gedpipes

Post by gedpipes »

Thanks Jdevereux - must helpful to us all
Richard Katz

Post by Richard Katz »

I actually learn most of my tunes by ear. My wife, indeed, is duely impressed with my ability to play a tunes right after hearing it. However, that does not pertain to every tune I hear.

This was, and is the case a lot of times, that a client asked me to learn a specific tune within days of the event. This really does not give me enough time to learn efficiently by ear. I learn the basics of the tune by the dots and then add my own personal touches to it.

I actually was asked to learn "Wendell's Wedding" by Tony Cuffe for a wedding. I had 5 days in which to perfect it. I listened to Joannie Madden's and Jerry O'Sullivan's versions and learned it rather quickly. I was a bit stressed out about playing it but it went famously at the wedding. Afterwards I was speaking to the bride , who had requested it, and asked her how she liked it as she walked down the aisle. She said that she hadn't even been paying attention and didn't hear it at all! So it goes to show that even if no one is listening you play a lot to please yourself.

Thanks for your concerns. I always appreciate the advise and assistance I receive here on the forum.

Cheers! Richard
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Does anyone know who composed this air, Eire?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:Does anyone know who composed this air, Eire?
From the liner notes (The Fire Aflame):

"Éire is one of the great aisling songs from Ring in the Waterford Déise and Liam brings out it's haunting quality in this rendition of the air. He first heard it being sung by Áine Uí Cheallaigh from Ring."

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Richard Katz wrote:This was, and is the case a lot of times, that a client asked me to learn a specific tune within days of the event. This really does not give me enough time to learn efficiently by ear. I learn the basics of the tune by the dots and then add my own personal touches to it.
Ah, understood.

If you can acquire by ear and can read the dots, then maybe the step that's missing is to put those two things together and ... write the dots. That is, hone your transcription skills.

I'm sure a lot of us do this. Transcribe a setting - itself a good way to lock a tune into your brain. Then get it under the fingers with a combination of listening and using your own transcription as a memory aid.

Do you have a favorite slow-downer (Transcribe, Amazing)? How about a notation package - ABC, Allegro, etc., or good old pencil and staff paper? How comfortable are you hearing a phrase and writing it down?