Alan Ginsberg?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Alan Ginsberg?

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Geoff Wooff?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Pat McNulty?
PJ
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Didn't Ginsberg pen the seminal beat epic "Crow!" ?

I heard the best reeds of my generation destroyed by clumsiness, squeaking historical plumber’s taped,
Swapped from ebony chanters all day hoping for a stable second octave
Scrape-headed songsters yearning for the Rowsome sound
To end their days in the dust bin on the right.

bongos sold separately.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

I've got a half set of Ginsberg, can anyone tell me if he is the best person to reed the chanter or has anyone got any recommendations?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Any talented reedmaker should be able to help you, I should think. And if you find one with a special affinity for your chanter, hang on to him and don't let go. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

My second and third sets of pipes were a 18" (Bb) set and a concert set by Ginsberg. His bores profiles were gotten from Matt Kiernan. His flat sets usually work quite well. The concert sets were more hit and miss. Once I figured out the staple for the concert chanter, it played very well. I used a 2 1/8" long cylindrical staple rolled from a 0.540" wide blank. The bore of the staple is under 5/32" diameter. The drones for all his sets reed easily and usually sound great. The flat chanters are usually very good to excellent. He made a couple of styles of regulators for concert pipes. His wide bore regulators were hard to reed and had C#s, rather than C nat. His narrower bore regs. were OK. Some of the turnings looked rather odd on some sets.

I am restoring a Bb set made by him for a guy who has stored them for years. It is in tulip-wood, with brass and ivory mounts. It has nice looking turnings and lots of tusk and is very well made. The chanter reeds with a 2 1/4" long tubing staple in the reed and is well in tune. The owner wants to sell it as he does not play, and only wants $5,000 for the set, including case. PM me, if interested. It will only sell in the US, because of the ivory.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

"Geoff Wooff?" Cathy Wilde.

I believe Geoff started making pipes in 1976 in Australia? Moved to Ireland 1989?
http://uilleannobsession.com/extras_geo ... hecho.html

I think Pat McNulty started making parts of pipes, and repairing pipes in the late 1970's?

Does anyone have more precise dates?
Regulators

Post by Regulators »

Hi there regarding Alan Ginsburgh i have just got of the phone from talking to him, so he is alive and kicking :thumbsup:
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Regulators wrote:Hi there regarding Alan Ginsburgh i have just got of the phone from talking to him, so he is alive and kicking :thumbsup:
Good news, and welcome aboard, Simon! :)

Cracking tunes today. Great fun. :thumbsup: :)
Regulators

Post by Regulators »

Hi Ben thanks for the welcome we realley enjoyed the tunes today look forward to the next set of tunes soon :thumbsup:
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Robert White of London began making pipes in the late 70's.
maki

Post by maki »

Hello Regulators, welcome to the forum.
Regulators

Post by Regulators »

Hi Maki thanks for the welcome its nice to be on here and thanks for the invite :thumbsup:
maki

Post by maki »

Regulators wrote:Hi Maki thanks for the welcome its nice to be on here and thanks for the invite :thumbsup:
How could we have a party and not invite you?
:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:
:D
donpiper

Post by donpiper »

Nanohedron said:
"the general consensus is that this particular medium-bore (C) chanter has great tone and presence once reeded up properly".

I am wondering if I have one of those.

I bought the boxwood C from Jim Harrison posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=83989

Chanter:

length: 416mm (16.375")
bore: 12mm
toneholes: 4mm - 7mm dia.

Reed (Dave Hegarty?):

Head: 11.4mm wide
Scrape : 26.5mm
Bridle: wire, 5 turns, just above binding
Staple : 5mm od. 4mm id. 48mm long

When it arrived here (Melbourne, Australia) it sounded pretty sweet if a little quiet (I am currently playing a McDeeg C# prototype in holly & enjoying it). As the weather warmed up the chanter got quieter, lost tone and the back d.
When I opened the reed using the bridle the upper octave went sharp and bottom D started gurgling with not much improvement in back d.

So I am looking to make another reed as there are no reputable reedmakers locally and (in my experience) reeds made in other parts of Oz (except Tasmania) don't work the same after they get here.

If anone can post reed dimensions to suit a similar chanter, they would be much appeciated.

cheers,
donpiper