Can anyone identify this old flute? RESTORATION PIX POSTED!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Can anyone identify this old flute? RESTORATION PIX POSTED!

Post by keithsandra »

Can anyone identify this flute?

It's a 58.5 cm long chestnut or walnut, )or what?), four piece flute with brass and steel tuning slide, steel rings (double at both ends of barrel), and a single steel key on the lower foot with a pad that might need replacing after not being used for at least half a century. Steel rings on ends. No end stopper. All six ridged rings seem to be of stainless steel.

The length from mid embouchure to foot is 51.8cms.

The flute is tapered. There is a hump on the barrel, which has a repaired split along its whole length. The head and barrel are thickly and inexpertly lacquered, The lacquer has attracted bits and pieces of unidentifiable flotsam over the years, including blue sprinkles that come off with the application of a thumb nail. There's another hump at the beginning of the fourth section. The taper seems to start at the beginning of the main section.

The bore at the HJ's top and bottom end is 2.8cms. It's 2.2cms at the end of the flute's foot. The HJ is unlined, except for the tuning tube.

All joints are threaded with Piper's thread, I'm told. It was inexpertly done and the thread is now loose anyway.

The grain of the wood seems to match in each section at first glance, but closer examination suggests it might come from separate pieces of wood. Where the original grain comes through the lacquer and grime it is very large with big sworls, very attractive. Should gleam up well
with careful cleaning and the right oil.

The embouchure looks like a circle but is .9mms by one cm, though all my measurements need checking for absolute accuracy as I used a kid's school ruler ...

The sound holes are all 8mms by 7mms except number 6, which is 5mm by 5mm.

If I hold the loose joints together by putting the HJ on my shoulder, I can get playable sound, but the low D comes and goes and I get an A there mostly. Before I cleaned the bores of black gunk it didn't sound at all.

There is no identification on the flute. No name, no numbers.

If someone can tell me how to find the CnF instructions on how to post pictures here, I'll be happy to do so, in some detail.

In the meantime can anyone confirm the flute's key, and guess at it's age, intended market and manufacturer?

I'd like to have it checked over and brought back to as much of it's glory as possible by an expert. I think a lot of what's needed is cosmetic, but by someone who knows what he/she is doing... Any ideas about likely costs?

Thanks, and best wishes,

K.
Last edited by keithsandra on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Can anyone identify this old flute?

Post by MTGuru »

keithsandra wrote:If someone can tell me how to find the CnF instructions on how to post pictures here, I'll be happy to do so, in some detail.
Guide to Posting Images: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23407

In a nutshell, upload your pix to a photo sharing site like http://imageshack.us and post the links here surrounded by [img] tags.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

It's in E flat, maybe high pitch...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

Will need a picture to get anywhere in identification, though I have often found that the years darken the typical french polish or shellac finish on antiques, and a manufacturer's name can be found by carefully removing same (though that might lessen the "value" of the antique). If I had to hazard a guess from your description I would say it was most likely cocus with German Silver fittings (I haven't heard of any antique flutes being made with steel or Stainless steel fittings).
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

I have the pictures and tried to follow the Posting instructions MGuru kindly forwarded, but couldn't find the box with .img in it. So, if someone can let me have their email address and is willing to post the photographs here for me, I'll be happy to send them the pictures.

Many thanks,

K.
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/view/25223623 ... 07-13653/0

Just found out my Server provides a photo share, so here it is. (Hope this one gets through, I sent it earlier too).

Best wishes,
K.
Denny

Re: Can anyone identify this old flute? PHOTOS NOW POSTED!

Post by Denny »

here's the first one for ya (displays small picture as link to large picture)

in the place that one keys this stuff in there is a "Post a reply" heading; "Subject: Re: Can anyone identify this old flute? PHOTOS NOW POSTED!"; and then a line of things that you can put around selected text from the box...
starts with B for bold, i for italic, u for underline, Quote, Code, List, List=, [*], Img, URL

I've imbedded the Img in the url...if this is too fancy maybe just do this

g'luck :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

I'm only guessing, but it certainly looks like a rosewood variant (i.e. cocus or the like) with german silver fittings. As far as the manufacturer, again a guess, but it might well be a German copy of a Baroque flute, from the slide and key shape I'd guess more likely early to mid 20th century than early 19th. Hopefully the experts will chime in with better info for you.
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Thanks for your helpful replies, MTGuru, Latticino, Othannen and Denny.

My conclusion is that I'll have to get hands on confirmation that the key is in fact E flat/high pitch, as I have no real doubt it is if Othannen says it is, and then make up my mind whether it's worthwhile for my playing purposes to get it restored. What are the benefits of Eflat/high pitch? Is it appropriate for ITM aires, Folk, theatre/film, and classical music?

Best wishes,

K.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

keithsandra wrote: It's a 58.5 cm long chestnut or walnut, )or what?), four piece flute with brass and steel tuning slide, steel rings (double at both ends of barrel), and a single steel key on the lower foot with a pad that might need replacing after not being used for at least half a century. Steel rings on ends. No end stopper. All six ridged rings seem to be of stainless steel.

The length from mid embouchure to foot is 51.8cms.
OK, so far as can be told simply from appearances in a photo, it is a probably German-made (though not inconceivably French/Belgian given the part-lined head, though the integral lower body/foot militate against it being French) later C19th or early C20th (roughly between 1870-1940, I'd say mid-late in that range rather than earlier) 1-key D flute. The OL and SL are, by comparison with D foot antique continental flutes I have here, fine for it to be a Concert Pitch D flute in all likelihood, though only play-testing can verify that. Certainly an SL c 520mm is a positive sign IMO, notwithstanding Terry's chart. I very much doubt it will prove to be in CP Eb or HP D. (I have not yet come across such a thing among German or French made simple system flutes!)

If you can get a sound out of it (wrap some plumbers' PTFE tape on the joints), check the A and G against a tuner - online ones available if you don't have one. Also measure the C#-Eb length as per Terry's instructions - that should separate the CP Ds from the CP Ebs/HP Ds! If it is in the 250-260mm range, it should be a CP D flute. Remember that the dimensions for flutes other than 8-key D flutes given on Terry's list are mostly not based on a large number of samples (I must send him some more.....!) nor on non-English (style) flutes.

The metal fittings are without question German Silver and the wood is probably cocus, as others have opined. It has nothing Baroque about it though, being very much a C19th style. I'd say it loosely fell within the "nach Meyer" category. There is no way whatever of guessing, let alone determining a manufacturer.
keithsandra wrote:The bore at the HJ's top and bottom end is 2.8cms. It's 2.2cms at the end of the flute's foot.
Um. really? :really: I think those dimensions will be the OD (outside diameters) not the bore (inside diameters!!!)

I would doubt it is worth you spending any significant money on having a pro restorer fix it up for you, which would probably cost more than the flute is likely to be worth even in full, optimum playing condition. It may well be a quite decent and perfectly usable player, though (or not.... in which case money wasted). In these situations I have a record of advocating people going into DIY restoration. Especially on a 1-key flute, there is little more to do than clean it and re-lap the tenons and re-pad the one key if necessary. There are plenty of old threads and posts here on C&F on cleaning, crack fixing, lapping and padding, and ongoing advice available. None of these tasks is beyond a reasonably handy person with a little time and patience, nor are the necessary materials hard to come by.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Good grief, Jem! How can I ever thank you enough for such a generous, thorough and expert evaluation of my old wooden flute and it's needs? Priceless. I am literally gob sentait ... (This is better in English but less shocking to the susceptible ears of CnF members in French I hope).

You were right about my wrong measurements too - they should have read 1.8cms, 1.8cms and 1.2cms for the top and bottom bore of the head joint, and bottom end of the flute. (I realise how I made the mistake now, but am too embarrassed to tell you).

Unfortunately you played right into my wife Sandra's hands by suggesting all it needs is a little amateur TLC., ie: us. This is precisely what she said when she saw it, she not even being a player of any sort, though a domestically experienced cleaner, restorer and polisher of nice woods and metals.

Needless to say, I'm also delighted with your opinion the flute is likely to be a normal Concert Pitch D. I'll check out Terry's charts too, thanks for the suggestion.

I'm getting some sound out of it and get the impression this is going to be a sweet sounding flute. Certainly a looker ...We'll see.

Thank you again. Very much.

Best,
Keith.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Oops, I must have got confused with short/long foot measurements, sorry :oops:
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

It has nothing Baroque about it though, being very much a C19th style
And From Rick Wilsons Historical Flute page on Baroque Flutes:
One-key flutes were still being made circa 1900 and later; see Catalogs. But these should never be called 'baroque flutes'. Flutes made much after 1750 simply do not have the sound and playing qualities that make a baroque flute what it is.
I guess I was mislead by the relatively small size of toneholes, round embochure shape and single key configuration, which I apparently mistakenly believed were more characteristic of a Baroque or traverso style of flute than a 4, 6, or 8 key 19th century simple system concert flute. Of course the tuning slide and key style did point to the latter manufacture, which is why I guessed a later, possibly German, copy of a baroque style.

If you look at this modern makers (Von Huene) version of a Grenser traverso, you can see where I went wrong:

Oh well, at least I got the wood and key material right... :P
Last edited by Latticino on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steven Wright

Baron Munchausen
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

From what I recall, for awhile Sears and Roebuck sold one key flutes similar to the one above. They were made well after the baroque period and were flutes that were sold as a low cost option for those that wanted to play the flute. I think tuning and cross fingering were slightly different in these more modern flutes.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

From what I recall, for awhile Sears and Roebuck sold one key flutes similar to the one above
Nice catch, here is the link to the referenced catalog (again from Rick's excellent site): http://www.oldflutes.com/catalogs/sears/index.htm
Steven Wright

Baron Munchausen