Lofgren Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Lofgren Whistles

Post by Mikethebook »

Has anyone come across Lofgren whistles in Finland? Check out http://tradconnect.com/forum/topics/rev ... 2#comments.
Tor

Re: Lofgren Whistles

Post by Tor »

I liked the sound samples, but Marc Löfgren doesn't seem to have a web site anywhere according to a famous web search engine. Maybe it's hidden..

-Tor
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I looked into the ma few weeks ago but no information anywhere. The Sindt like ones look interesting although I am not sure the wooden head will in the long run prove to be be a good idea (from a moisture/maintenance point of view, there's something to be said for materials that aren't prone to cracking and growing mould)
My brain hurts

Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I looked into the ma few weeks ago but no information anywhere. The Sindt like ones look interesting although I am not sure the wooden head will in the long run prove to be be a good idea (from a moisture/maintenance point of view, there's something to be said for materials that aren't prone to cracking and growing mould)
I can't see the Löfgren fare any worse than a Busman/Abell/any wood whistle? Or perhaps you don't like wooden whistles as a whole?
Last edited by Lars Larry Mór Mott on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I assume a wooden head would demand more maintenance, it's not like a metal or plastic head that you play and put down and stick under a warm tap twice a year. The intersections of wood and metal and the inevitable movement of the wood could prove problematic. But maybe I am over-cautious. Certainly wouldn't mind trying one of them, if the price is right.
My brain hurts

yellowhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by yellowhistler »

Hi.

I'm the maker of those whistles. Many thanks to Lars for the kind words regarding my work and also for letting me know there was a thread here discussing them. I don't have a web site yet, I'm still sort of experimenting with different whistle models and ideas. I made low whistles for a while but got a bit tired of the constant clogging issues so recently I've been drifting towards high whistles which are better in that respect and also louder and more suited for sessions, IMO.

No, I'm far from being the only maker using wood but I am actually considering making the mouthpiece entirely out of brass, and also changing the cut of the fipple window, making it quicker to build as well as easier to maintain. Still, Blackwood is very resistant to both mold and cracks. Unfortunately plastics like delrin are out of the question because I've developed an allergy gainst the dust so it's either metal or wood I'm afraid.. :-)
Lars Larry Mór Mott

yellowhistler wrote:Hi.

I'm the maker of those whistles. Many thanks to Lars for the kind words regarding my work and also for letting me know there was a thread here discussing them. I don't have a web site yet, I'm still sort of experimenting with different whistle models and ideas. I made low whistles for a while but got a bit tired of the constant clogging issues so recently I've been drifting towards high whistles which are better in that respect and also louder and more suited for sessions, IMO.

No, I'm far from being the only maker using wood but I am actually considering making the mouthpiece entirely out of brass, and also changing the cut of the fipple window, making it quicker to build as well as easier to maintain. Still, Blackwood is very resistant to both mold and cracks. Unfortunately plastics like delrin are out of the question because I've developed an allergy gainst the dust so it's either metal or wood I'm afraid.. :-)
You must drool more than me Marc, i don't have any more clogging issues with your low whistles than i have with my aluminium soprano ones : )
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Nice to hear from you. Sorry to hear you've stopped making the low whistles. May I ask what you were selling the low Ds for? I'm far more interested in them than in the high whistles but that's a matter of taste. I'm not into sessions but moody airs etc.
yellowhistler

Post by yellowhistler »

Mr_Blackwood wrote:You must drool more than me Marc, i don't have any more clogging issues with your low whistles than i have with my aluminium soprano ones : )
He he he, that must be it! :-)
Mikethebook wrote:Nice to hear from you. Sorry to hear you've stopped making the low whistles. May I ask what you were selling the low Ds for? I'm far more interested in them than in the high whistles but that's a matter of taste. I'm not into sessions but moody airs etc.
Yes of course, I was selling the tunable model for about 150€ and the non tunable about 120€. Thank you for your interest in my whistles!
narrowdog

Post by narrowdog »

Marc/Yellowhistler can you check your PMs.

Thanks
Happiness is taking things as they are.
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Marc,

Have you tried ABS plastic instead of Delrin. I find it much easier to work with in general and it costs about the same, maybe a tiny bit cheaper.

Tommy
islander
Tell us something.: Hello there. How are you? I'm just updating my profile, deleting info and writing stuff here to show i'm not a spammer because i'm an actual human being.

Post by islander »

I just got a tuneable brass and blackwood soprano D whistle with an extra C body from Marc yesterday. Very impressed by the tone, tuning and workmanship. Wow!!!
Lars Larry Mór Mott

islander wrote:I just got a tuneable brass and blackwood soprano D whistle with an extra C body from Marc yesterday. Very impressed by the tone, tuning and workmanship. Wow!!!
Second that, except i 'only' have one/D body.
Sharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Sharp »

Ooops. I only just found this thread (that'll teach me to use the search function properly...).

I just contacted Marc to find out the prices of his whistles, which he has already answered :lol:

They look like really nice instruments, I'd be really interested in hearing a few more sound samples.
yellowhistler

Post by yellowhistler »

tompipes wrote:Marc,

Have you tried ABS plastic instead of Delrin. I find it much easier to work with in general and it costs about the same, maybe a tiny bit cheaper.

Tommy
Hi Tommy,

No I haven't tried it, I have thought about getting some to see if I would react less to that type of plastic, it being so commonly used in everyday products and graded food safe. I did try ebonite some time ago but while it was very easy to work it did give me a sore throat, though not as bad as with Delrin, even with a mask and carefully vacuming up the shavings. Guess you can't get rid of all the particles...
islander wrote:I just got a tuneable brass and blackwood soprano D whistle with an extra C body from Marc yesterday. Very impressed by the tone, tuning and workmanship. Wow!!!
Thank you, I'm so glad you liked it! See you soon at the Irish Festival of Oulu!