Cleaning delrin with Isopropyl Alcohol?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sirchronique
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Cleaning delrin with Isopropyl Alcohol?

Post by Sirchronique »

So, awhile back I started getting some buzzing on my E and D note on my brass high D whistle. I cleaned out the shaft with isopropyl alcohol, and went through the mouthpiece with some water with a tad of dish soap in it, squirted through a dropper, as recommended by the maker. It worked, for about two weeks.. then the buzz came back just yesterday, so I'm going to do it again. I figure I didn't clean it out 100% perfect through the windway.

I was thinking, perhaps squirting some isopropyl alcohol through the windway, THEN doing the soapy water cleaning would do a better job, since two different solvents going through there are probably more likely to soak up whatever is in there for moisture to cling to in the mouthpiece.

I just wanted to ask before doing so, as it did not mention using alcohol for this in the paper that came with the whistle. I do not think it should hurt it, but I want to make sure that isopropyl alcohol will not cause a bad reaction with delrin, or cause it to lose it's ability to disperse condensation.

Anyone have any words on this? Or any other cleaning tips? I also go through it with a business card sliver gently during the process , by the way.

Thanks,
\ Christopher

By the way, I am not actually sure if the buzzing is coming from the mouthpiece, or if it's due to me accidentally using excess petroleum jelly to lubricate the o-rings. I do get a bit paranoid about those wearing out, but i try to not use too much! I cleaned them both out at the same time last time I cleaned, so I don't know which was causing it. Any cleaning advice appreciated. Well, whistle cleaning advice!
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Cleaning delrin with Isopropyl Alcohol?

Post by MTGuru »

This site lists Delrin's chemical resistance to ethyl, methyl or isopropol alcohol as Excellent (i.e., resistant).

http://www.omsdive.com/delrin_chem_chart.html

IIRC - because I think I got the idea from him - Michael Burke himself carries and uses alcohol swabs to disinfect his whistle mouthpieces at shows, festivals, etc. I've also used the swabs for years with no ill effects, cosmetic or otherwise. I mean very occasional use, of course.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Delrin, or generically acetal polymer, is pretty darn near inert which is why it's used in all sorts of industrial settings to make fittings to carry many kinds of liquids.

Note that using soapy water is not done because it's a solvent. You're not trying to clean the windway. The soap is a surfactant which breaks the surface tension of water. Surface tension is what makes the little bits of breath moisture condense in little round droplets which cause clogging of the windway and "buzzing".
Experiment a bit with the strength of your soap solution. I've found the clear diswashing liquids eg Dawn to work best. You only need a few drops to an ounce of water. Also, make sure you warm the head of the whistle before playing it. Do this by holding it in your hand, not by blowing through it which, if you think about it, will only make things worse.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

The funny thing (in my mind) is that back in in high school , before Fog ex and other modern wonders, people spit in their swim goggles to prevent the things from fogging up with condensation. If only there was a way of doing something similar to a whistle...
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I.D.10-t wrote:The funny thing (in my mind) is that back in in high school , before Fog ex and other modern wonders, people spit in their swim goggles to prevent the things from fogging up with condensation. If only there was a way of doing something similar to a whistle...
Well, I guess there is, but I'm not trying it... :wink:

That said, on the rare occasions when I get to snorkel, I still spit in the mask.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!